“Mixed Review”
Review of Hotel Cortorillo

Hotel Cortorillo
Ranked #1,149 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We booked a room for two nights at B&B Farima in Rome and apparently the Cortorillo Hotel manages several B&Bs as well as the hotel. We were offered an upgrade for 20 euros, stated that the upgrade had a private bathroom. (We thought the B&B did when we booked it.) We accepted and were taken down one block to a large building with a lift to the 5th floor where our room included a TV, bathroom, shower and view of the old Acquarium building and its piazza. Apparently, this was the B&B Fanti Rooms, according to the business card on the nightstand. There was a water cooler outside the room and a shared fridge.

Unfortunately, the TV remote had to be reprogrammed, a 15 minute test of resolve. Also, the toilet sweat was broken and literally unattached to the toilet, making the bathroom a dangerous adventure. We told the staff about the toilet seat immediately and they promised to fix it. However, two days later, the seat was never fixed.

The room would have been a reasonable value had the toilet been in tact. Breakfast was modest and somewhat below average. Unfortunately, a mixed review for this hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dtlusty

Reviewed February 17, 2011

I had a short visit in Rome and I could tell that this Hotel was a big disappointment to us. The front desk is situated on the ground floor. Exactly on the main street where everyone who passes by can see you checking in. A blond lady received us, she took our IDs and she gave us the impression that she was not aware of the booking we've made nor she has anymore rooms left. But then a man came and take in change. He accompany us to our room and open the door with a duplicate key. I asked for the key of our room but he couldn't give me any because according to the man the blond lady had misplaced it. From then I really freaked out. The Hotel management is really unreliable.

The room has a bad illumination. I opened the bathroom and a foul smell suddenly filled the room. I went in to check for it and found out that it's filthy. The shower dish has hairs all over it and then bin has not been empty by the cleaners. I doubt that it hasnt been cleaned at all. I try to move on to settle my things to the closet. The knob of the cabinet is broken and when i open the closet, it was full of blankets and pillows so I didn't know where to put my things so I left them inside my bagage on the foor!

Then my breathing felt weird. This usually happens when I'm slightly exposed to dust. And Voi La "DUST EVERYWHERE". There's even no means to communicate to the front desk since there has no telephone inside the room. We had to go there personally from the fifth floor to the main street! When we complained about this, the man was even rude! I was really disappointed so we decided to stay out late as much as possible. The next day I didn't even dare to do breakfast since it was extremely poor! I really had to change the Hotel so we left of course paying the services they promised on their website even we didn't have it at all!!! I wouldn't recommend this Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank faithfulwishing
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Excellent budget hotel. Brilliant location, close to termini, which is the main train station. Everything is is close walking distance, however the metro and bus links and excellent to get everywhere. This hotel is a good base for exploring the city. Rooms are very basic, with quite old furnishings, although has TV and fridge. There is a wet room with shower and hairdryer. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is literally bread and jam with coffee, which was absolutely fine for the busy day ahead. Considering this hotel was so cheap, it was exactly what we expected and perfect what we needed during our stay in Rome. I would definitely recommend it to friends. This is a brilliant budget hotel, no frills. We flew to the smaller airport (Campino) and booked a bus for transport to and from city with terravision.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I had booked the hotel for 3 days and received the confirmation from the Hotel, so I went to check in on time. While I went to the hotel and gave the booking reference to the reception, he checked and then called a man, he said that we (I with my friend - two girls) should follow him and they are the same. So we followed the man to a apartment, there are three rooms in a flat. At that time I had no suggestions, so I paid the monies to the man and he gave me his card. At that time we knew it is a Bed & Breakfast and he gave me a map and also told me how could go the sightseeings. After he left for only 5 minutes, the light shut down suddenly, we were afraid and felt horrible, so I called the man and asked him why. He replied that there was no electric for 2 hours for the whole area. So we left the room and went back to the hotel and ask the receiption. He told me that this areas were always liked this and not be afraid. So I went to had a walked to visit some sight first and then turned back to the B&B before 5:00p.m..

At that time, there was electric. Then I checked my room and found that there was only a window in the washroom which cannot closed. Besides, people could see everything through the key hole. The door of the room is sliding to close that is very dangerous. The washroom had smell. So I hadn't sleep on the first night. The breakfast was having on the 4th floor in one room of a flat, and it was very poor.

Then I booked another four star hotel for the following two days. I moved to the new hotel on the second night and checked out the B&B on the third day morning before 9:30a.m.. And I hadn't got back the monies for the third night.

The hotel is very unreliable that I booked the hotel before 2 months. If they did't have any room then they could send e-mail to tell me, not the confirmation. When I went to the hotel on the first night, I told the other receiption my stories, he felt it was normal. So I recommend that if you want to book this hotel, you should have a deep think that they may also send you to the other Bed & Breakfast or place.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lwmteresa
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Had 2 weeks in Europe on honeymoon...3 nights in Rome in the Hotel Cortorillo. This is a solid 2 star hotel. The previous reviews are mostly accurate. Here's the good and the bad, first the bad:
-bathroom is very small with no shower curtain (everything gets wet)
-Air conditioner works, but not well enough to cool the room
-furnishings are spartan and low quality
-the breakfast is sparse (there is a great bakery 2 blocks down the street)
-elevator is small (2-3 person max)
-wifi is available but doesn't have a good connection on 5th floor (that's where the rooms are).

The good:
-price
-it has an elevator that works
-internet is available on the first floor via a public computer
-area is safe and close to restaurants, train station, and central to all attractions
-staff is very helpful and friendly
-rooms have double paned glass windows (offers some quiet from the noisy streets).

Overall, it's an acceptable hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sam P
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms were clean and tidy with room service provided. Safety lockers provided in the room with TV also.

Nice breakfast and free coffee of your choice is provided everyday. The staff are nice and helpful and they offered to hire a taxi to take us to airport at 4am.

No wi-fi in the room but free internet provided in the lobby room. Connection was not always okay though.

Located close to the train station. Bus stations and metro station are just walks away though I think the area was a bit unsafe late at night.

Overall it is a decent hostel at this price range and I will stay in the hostel if I visit Rome again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2009

It's owned by a family (a mom and a son). The mom doesn't know English. She looks like unfriendly, but actually she is soooooooooooo nice! She made a free coffee for me to wake up in the early morning I checked in! The son is very helpful and polite. He told me where I can buy low priced clothes, and introduced a very good italian restaurant next door (La Mensa di Bacci Rustirante Pizzeria).

It's a 2-star hotel, u can't expect what facilities they have. At least they have a good location closed to the train station but safe. After u check in at the small lobby, u have to go out the lobby and go into the building by the entrance next door. They have a very old elevator that u have to open/close the door by yourself. The rooms are located on the 3rd & 4th floor.

The room I stayed was clean. The room costed me euro 55/night including simple breakfast. There is a safebox in the room~ There is no curtain to separate the shower and the toilet, and there is no window in the toilet, so the floor would be wet for a long time after shower. Hot water will come out one minute after u switch on the tap. But it's fine for me. They don't provide toothpaste, toothbrush and shampoo, but have a soap and hair dryer on the wall.

It takes u 2-3 minutes to the main train station. It's located on the street where so many Chinese open their shops. I don't feel dangerous on the street even at night (I am an Asian female solo traveller).

The breakfast place is next to the front desk, a very simple breakfast serving bread, juice and coffee only. U can also take the fruit/bread/snack there anytime u need!

Anyway, it's still good value for money in Rome!! I have suggested it for people who travel in tight budget!

Tips: They have 24 hrs reception but the staff will lock the lobby door at 11pm for safe, and he may sleeps in the sofa that u have to wake him up if u arrive late or get back ur key on front desk. If then, u better save the telephone number and call the staff a few minutes before u arrive to ensure he is there.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo