“Great value hotel in excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Azzurra

Hotel Azzurra
Ranked #464 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
“Great value hotel in excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Travelled in a party of 3 (2 x adults + 1 x 7 year old) so had a triple room. The location was superb - 5 minute (with a 7 year old pulling a hand luggage suitcase) walk from Barberini Metro station, 2 stops away from Termini, 5 minute walk to the Trevi, 10 min walk to Spanish Steps, 15 min walk to Pantheon & 20 min walk to Piazza Navona. The location alone was worth the price we paid for the 3 nights.

The hotel is in a beautiful traditional building. The hotel is the old rooms which have been converted. It is well maintained, with a funky traditional lift (very small but part of the adventure) & my daughter loved the old fashioned operation of a traditional lift.

Welcome was great. A map was provided with details on the usual must see's in Rome + some recommendations of local trattoria's/pizzeria's. Although our room wasn't ready, we were shown around & advised how the key system worked. We left our bags which had kindly been put into our room on our return.

Basic room (room 27) but clean, tidy & a decent size. Plenty of room for a kingsize bed, single bed & space to move. Double wardrobe, dressing table, coat hook area & fridge which was stocked with water & fanta. Their was a small tv, which had sky channels, but the only English channels were the usual news channel - personally don't see this as an issue as I was there to see Rome! I did find the room cold (I am always cold, even in intense heat) & the central heating is operated centrally but when I commented on this to the team, I was supplied with a mini heater which did a great job in adding the heat I needed.

Bathroom was tiny - but this is a building which has been converted & therefore expected. Shower was a decent temperature, fluctuated early in the morning when other people were using the water in the building, but again, for the price it was perfectly fine. Be warned though, if you are a little bigger than the average, the bathroom (for this room) is a tight squeeze.

The staff could not do enough for you. There are great postcards in the reception which were free to take (and made a great school project for my daughter), refills on the mini bar, the room was cleaned every day & the towels changed daily too - even though we were told these would be changed every other day.

Breakfast consisted of full range of coffees, full range of teas, water, OJ, pastries/doughnuts, toast, bread roll, jams & yoghurts - which was well prepared & a great start to the day. Only critiscism is that brekkie is served from 8am, which is quite late if you plan on starting a tour at 9am or want to be at the main attractions early, but again, the team were great - we had a tour booked at Roman Forum for 9am & they were happy to start serving at 7.45.

This is a simple hotel, with great staff, a warm welcome & in a superb location. The rooms are basic but for the price we paid, it was great value. Would definitely stay here again & recommended as a great value, budget hotel. The staff were fantastic & well deserve the other positive feedback on here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ecj1905

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent 6 nights in Azzurra hotel in January 2013. The hotel has a fantastic location!!! 1 minute walk to the metro station (line A), 2 minutes walk to Trevi Fountain, 5 minutes walk to Spanish steps and via del Corso (shopping area), 2 metro stops to Termini train station (also line A), most of greatest historical places are in walking distance, a few nice restaurants are nearby, the food supermarket is in 100 meters distance, the Rome Sightseeing Tour bus stops in 1 minute walk from the hotel.
Amazing staff – very friendly and helpful, doing their best for your comfort! A real home atmosphere is added by many little things like umbrella, proposed you on a rainy day, free water and soft drinks in your fridge, or free yogurt you can take from the kitchen any time. My room was always perfectly cleaned. The bathroom had all things I required. The hotel provides very good service for reasonable price (actually cheap for such location – it is not easy to find something similar in Rome!). For sure I will stay here again! I also will advise this hotel to my friends traveling to Rome.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 24. It was a good double room with all what I required.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Elena P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I spent 8 nights in this hotel. We really enjoyed our stay in this small hotel: very clean room, good atmosphear, polite and nice staff and the best location ever!!! The hotel is located on the 3rd floor of the bulding, elevator always worked. Continental breakfast is included (yogurt, fresh croissant, cornflakes, coffee, tea etc.). If you want a budget hotel, 10 minutes walk from the most of attractions, go ahead and choose this hotel. You will feel like at home here;)

3 Thank Anet1982
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is not a 5 star hotel but you can't beat the price. Not fancy but the rooms were very clean. A nice continental breakfast in included each morning. The staff was so helpful and nice. We got stuck in Rome due to Hurricane Sandy and Neeraj and staff really helped us out. Great location in Rome too. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jess824
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in September/October 2012.

I had a hard time finding a cheap place to stay in central Rome and then I found this place, not too expensive, central location and mostly good reviews on TripAdvisor. So I booked a single room (room 22) and It was exactly what I needed!

First of all, the hotel is located a few blocks from the Trevi Fountain and also a few blocks from the Barberini metro station (Line A, two stops to Termini main train station and four stops to Vatican). It was very convenient, you can walk to almost every sights, and take the metro if you want to go further or if you are feeling a bit lazy. There is also a small grocery store two blocks away. Location was perfect!

The hotel is on the third floor of the building, but there is a small elevator, VERY small elevator, but it was working just fine nonetheless and it was very handy for arriving/departing with luggage. On arriving, I was greeted by a cute smiling girl, who checked me in, and also gave me a map of the city and highlighted all the main attractions. She then showed me my room, gave the wi-fi password, explained how the AC worked, where is the breakfast room and so on. I thought that was very nice! The hotel has a kind of family vibe to it, as there are only 8 rooms.

The room had everything I needed. It had a double bed, air conditioner, mini-fridge, free wi-fi (reliable and the fastest I had on my Italy trip), in room safe. The room was a bit small, as I expected, but it was not a problem. The bathroom though was way more spacious than I expected. Everything looked clean and towels were changed daily (even though I was told at check-in that towels were changed every other day). Every day, two bottles of water and one Coke was put in the fridge for free... which I thought was a really nice touch.

The hotel from the inside was very quiet, but it was quite noisy outside. Not the hotel fault obviously, but I had to put ear plugs to have good sleep (I'm a light sleeper though).

Breakfast (included in room rate) was served in a little room with 4 little tables. I never had a problem getting a table as there are only 8 rooms. Breakfast was very basic tough: a little bread, some toasts and either a croissant/donut or something else with sugar. I noticed the next day that there was also yogurt in the small fridge. Nothing too exciting, but it was free, and was OK with me, just don't expect a big breakfast with fruits, ham and cheese.

The staff are very nice and helpful, all of them. When I checked out, the girl at the reception offered me to take some postal cards for free as a souvenir. When I left very early in the morning (before breakfast time), the guy at the reception told me I could take a yogurt on the go before leaving. Those were nice little gestures that are really appreciated and shows they did really care.

So I don't have anything bad to say, really... maybe they could add some variety to their breakfast... and I thought my bed was kinda old and could have been a bit more comfortable... but those a very small downsides to a more than satisfying stay.

For the price I paid, its location and the great staff, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again If I ever go back to Rome. I searched a lot on the Internet before booking this hotel and I don't think that, for the price paid, you'll find something better!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank SatanicSurferz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My daughters and I spent 3 nights here the last week of June, 2012. Neeraj and Ioana could not have been more accommodating. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Upon our arrival Ioana took time to highlight some points of interests on a local map and Neeraj helped us make taxi arrangements for our departure. There were also the little extras, such as bottled water and postcards on site and a strong box in the closet.

The location could not have been better. Only minutes from the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps and even closer to Barberini Station (Metro) for public transportation to all over the city. It was probably only a 20 - 25 minute walk to the Vatican but we stopped so much along the way it is hard to judge. Located on a small side street, there was very little noise from the street (even when Italy lost to Spain in the EuroCup) and none from within the building itself .

When I return to Rome I would stay here again provided this "management team" was the same. These people make this hotel as good as it is!! Thank you for a wonderful stay and adding to our travel memories.

Room Tip: European rooms are typically small so if the opportunity allows book for your party size + 1. The e...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Siano2006
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

If your on a budget and want a place close to EVERYTHING with a working Elevator in the premises, Breakfast included with flatscreen TV, Air- conditioning, personal bathroom/shower and a bonus fridge with no added cost, you would be crazy to book elsewhere! The staff and especially, the owner, Neeraj, worked really hard to make our stay enjoyable and affordable! He helped us avoid overpaying on travel transportation by helping us find much cheaper travel alternatives and often gave us great advice on what to see and how to see the sights in Rome. The location is exceptional: it is paces away from the Trevi fountain and less then a 10 minute walk from the Spanish Steps. It is right next to the Metro and many bus stops that can get you to the Termini Station, Piazza Venezia, the Colosseum, The Roman Forum and everything else one would like to see within minutes! We really lucked out with this place and when I return i will be booking in Hotel Azzurra.

Room Tip: rooms are quality with no outside noise pollution because this hotel is located on the 3rd floor. as...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends