“Leaves so much to be desired”
Review of Joli Hotel

Joli Hotel
Ranked #1,112 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Short and quick: If you want to be in the thick of things per location...by all the shops, street vendors, a short walk to Vatican City, this is the hotel for you. But if you care about a view, coffee in the morning, a real private bathroom, tv channels, a soft bed, space, ambiance, non peeled wallpaper, this is not the place for you. I personally feel your money can go a lot further to get some of the things you would like in a room. I was in this room for two days and that was one day too many. If I had booked this room for my entire stay, I would have had a horrible trip from the first day. Oh and you have to unplug things to plug up your phone and other devices. There is nothing sexy about this hotel. I know people tell you not to expect your modern amenities from home; that Europe is different. I expected different. Artistic decay at best....But this sucked for Europe. No pool or any of those hotel delights. It's actually a floor of rooms in a large building. It's 6 flights up. Heaven help that elevator breaks or someone doesn't shut the outer gate to it. You will huff and puff to your room as I had to.

Room Tip: Something positive...it was clean
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank manyfindsfm

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

They is a basic hotel, but a good basic one. It is a little difficult to find but once there there is a cute little lift. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and decently equipped. It is on a main shopping road so a little noisy but definitely nothing to particularly disturb sleep at night. You have to look to the far right out of the windows to see the Vatican but it is a lovely sight and only a 5 minute walk away. The other main sights were a reasonable 30mins walk away and we walked everywhere thanks to a very helpful little map sheet the receptionist gave us.
The bathroom is a shower/wet room but incredible water pressure and heat for the 6th floor of an old building and as long as you didn't take clothes in with you to shower then this is really of no inconvienince.
The wall paper in the rooms is a little dated, but more importantly our room was perfectly cleaned for the whole of our stay.
We didn't have breakfast as there is a gorgeous little fresh good market just about 30 seconds down - turning right out onto the Main Street- so we went there.
Overall this is not a hotel for families, but young independent people looking for a reasonable standard of room at a very reasonable price in central Rome would do well to book here. Very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank LaurandJ
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am completely satisfied with Hotel Joli. I had a single room with a bathroom. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. If you need any ideas on what to do in Rome they have plenty to recommend. The room was very comfortable, fairly large with a big, comfortable bed. The bathroom was always clean, as was the room. The window was facing the inside of the courtyard, but it's not like I was there to spend my time looking out of the window. The location is excellent, it's right by the Vatican, and about 10 minute walk to the historic center, but there are buses, trams and Metro really close to the hotel. The street itself (Via Cola di Rienzo) is really pretty and very pleasent for walks in the evening, with cafes, restaurants and gelaterias in the neighbourhood. It's only a two-star hotel, but I would give it at least 3 stars. I really enjoyed my stay there, had everything I needed, and would definitely go back there (and probably will). Just one thing (not about the hotel really, just a general advice): Rome is hot in the summer so the rooms get hot and stuffy (especially since there is no breeze). You can pay for air-conditioning, but I actually just purchased a desk fan for 15 euro that worked great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were here in December. The room was cold and the heating didn't work! They turn it on only twice a day - from 6 to 9 at night and from 6 to 9 in the morning. But in our room it has never been turned on, even for a few hours! The room is also very small. The elevator is very small and very old - it's hard to get in there with your luggage. It won't move if you don't close the outside doors, which is very inconvenient when you finally got into the elevator with your luggage.
I complained about non-working heat and they moved me downstairs to the hotel Florida. Heating seems to be working a bit, but they said it also has an AC on the wall, so I won't have a problem. Sure, if remote control works, I won't have a problem. But it doesn't work...
Generally, rooms are very small, there is no wi-fi in the room. Maybe, I'm just too spoiled by good hotels in the USA (even Super 8 is much better, at least it has a bathtub!), but I wouldn't recommend this hotel. It was clean, though.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alisa C
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Hotel Joli is actually a couple of rooms in a building situated in a central area in Rome. So by far the most positive aspect of this "hotel" is the location: less than 10 minutes walk to Vatican area. And it is relatively clean. Aside from these, there isn't anything else I can praise about this hotel. The room itself (extremely basic decorated) is not quite small (which is a big thing in the center of a crowded tourist Italian city) but the walls are extremely thin so you can hear any steps on the hallway or any flush from the neighbor rooms. The bathroom is the most uncomfortable I ever seen. Long and narrow as a small wagon - it can create a small claustrophobic sensation (and if not, then for sure the shower will make you "smile", because it is a joke).
The breakfast (a coffee and a croissant) is served at a small terrace nearby.
Overall, this is a considerable option for those who don't want to spent way to much money on an accommodation downtown Rome. Other (better rated) hotels in the area are much more expensive.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bogdan P
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Friendly family-run establishment in the heart of Rome, yes it's basic but for the price it's a bargain. The room came with a small ensuite which comprised of a loo, sink and shower which made it more of a wetroom than a bathroom - we stayed in one of the rooms facing the Via de Cola Rienzo (apologies if the spelling's not right, but you'll know the one I mean, looks like Oxford Street in London) which meant there was a bit of noise at night, but that's never bothered me.

The bed was comfy, the room was cleaned daily and the staff were lovely. We never bothered with the croissant and coffee breakfast, preferring to get out into Rome instead, but for the price what can you expect?

Definitely a good option for those not looking for 5* luxury.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was maybe the ugliest hotel with the ugliest room I've ever stayed in. I don't even talk about the bathroom. Except that, the location was good for people willing to be close to the Vatican. I can only add that the breakfast was in perfect harmony with the hotel. We had vouchers at a coffee shop nearby and the breakfast was one coffee with one croissant. Next day I wanted some more coffee, so I paid for a second serve, no refill. And the grumpy and impolite owner of the shop completed the whole pack. Not "Joli" at all and never again!

Room Tip: Unless you are a backpacker, stay away from this place. For 108 euros a night plus city tax, you wil...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family