Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Galleria Borghese
from $44.20
from $36.00
from $39.50
from $69.70
15,909 results
All reviews bernini sculptures two hours audio guide time slot favorite museum art lovers beautiful museum amazing collection hour visit art collection great art small museum pre book roma pass buy tickets vatican museum trip to rome
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I heard about the Borghese Gallery on a blog and booked the tickets (dont forget) well in advance. It is an amazing experience with so much fine art in a compact space that entertains and enthralls even the least likely 'artiste'. The sculptures of Bernini in particular are so very beautiful and along wtih the art works on the first floor provide a layman's education to the arts. If your passion is the arts then you need no convincing! One of our highlights of Rome.

1  Thank PerthmumPerth
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a scheduled stop on our Rome itinerary. You are only allowed two hours, which made us move a little faster than we normally might have. It was enough time to see it all, but the anxiety that we might miss some actually made us rush a little more than was actually needed.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Loved the variety and quality of various artwork displayed. Excellent audio guide. Lovely location, spent all day biking through the park, dining, enjoying the museum and the clean, very safe park. I dreamed I was a princess - and this was my castle!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I always come back to the Galleria Borghese when I visit Rome. To me, the art is more exquisite even than that in the Vatican. I prefer Bernini's David to Michelangelo's -- the determined expression and pose that catches David in action are not to be missed. And of course Bernini's Daphne and Apollo is the most amazing sculpture. It must be seen 360 degrees. It's a sculpture in motion, from the wind in Daphne's hair to the form of each leaf.

Our grandchildren surprised us by being fascinated by the quality of the ceiling frescoes as well as the sculpture and ancient Roman mosaics. Visitors may not notice that the art is arranged thematically. The David, for example, is in a room with many sculptures depicting the labors of Hercules.

We did not feel like cattle in a stampede. A fixed number of visitors are allowed in every two hours (by reservation), nothing like the crowds at the Vatican. When we visited in June, the opening time was delayed because of a union meeting. People with reservations for 9:00 and 11:00 waited until noon to enter, but we still didn't feel crushed in a crowd. Yes, you must reserve in advance (easy online), and there is no mercy if you fail to show up for your reserved time or try to change your reservation. When the museum closed unexpectedly, however, there were no apologies for us. They did, however, let everyone in regardless of their reserved time.

After visiting the museum, enjoy walking around the gardens, or make your way down Via Veneto to the "Bones Church," the Capuchin Crypt. It is very different and well worth a visit.

1  Thank dmnickel
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We enjoyed the museum. You have to make reservations in advance and I would suggest going at 9:00 when it opens. Visitors get a two-hour window to wander. This may have been because it was summer and there are hordes of tourists.
There was a bit of a back-up because of the numbers of people showing up at the same time.

There are some great pieces of art by Bernini and Caravaggio, for instance. Unfortunately, the one Caravaggio I wanted to see was on loan to the Hermitage.

Be aware that there is a long spiral staircase to climb. Anyone with a health issue may have to ask for the elevator to be unlocked. I have bad knees and could not summon the elevator to go down.

The park is such a nice place to walk, picnic, buy a gelato or rent a two-person bicycle. There is also a zoo in the park area.