“Excellent!”

Ranked #12 of 1,488 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Museum in the beautiful setting of Villa Borghese in Rome preserves sculptures, reliefs and ancient mosaics, and paintings and sculptures from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century. The collection, made up initially by Cardinal Scipione Borghese in the early seventeenth century, preserves masterpieces of Antonello da Messina, Giovanni Bellini, Raffaello, Tiziano, Correggio, Caravaggio and beautiful sculptures of Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Canova.
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My favourite place in Rome!! Plain beautiful, with priceless works of art. Audioguide is a must! Reservation is a must! The building is great on the inside and it contains demo's about roman talent at the range of... heavenly gift!

Visited August 2012

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So happy to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We knew this was a mandatory book in advance museum and we were happy to comply. I do suggest though that if you are in Rome, go in to the Galleria Borghese and buy tickets from there instead of online, I didnt know we had to pay a service fee until I booked our time slot which meant I paid around 4 Euros more. A lot of people didn't know you had to book ahead and if you have a Roma pass you need to call or go there as your first trip if you want to go in for free.

They were very well organised and things went smoothly, everything has to be checked in, no phones and you need to get there early to pick up your tickets, which was not a problem because the Villa Borghese is absolutely beautiful. We brought fruit and ate it as we waited til we got in at EXACTLY the time the time slot began. There IS a second floor, picture gallery, so dont miss it.

We were floored when we saw the Caravaggios, sad the boy with a basket of fruit wasn't there at the time, or St, Jeromes if I remember correctly but all the Berninis were which was fantastic. Everyone gasps in awe when they come across them for the first time and with only 200 people there, at most, everyone could get a good view. I loved the contrast of Caravaggio and Bernini's "self portraits, {sich Baccus and David)... All in all, it was fantastic to see and I am so happy I didnt miss it.

Coffee right after was a big plus. :D

Visited July 2013
American Fork, UTah
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great museum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Make sure you call for reservations before you go-- you can't just walk in. Also, you have 2 hours in the museum. Go upstairs and see the paintings first, then downstairs to see the sculptures (this is the reverse of all of the crowds and will give you a much less crowded viewing experience.)

Visited July 2013
3 Thank KGarr
Naperville, Illinois
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

It doesn't matter that you need reservations two months (or more) in advance. Everyone must see the Borghese for the Bernini sculpture if nothing else. the palazzo is beautiful itself as well as the very calming grounds, but the sculpture is the star of the show. I'd not recommend buying tickets through a service - I did this time out of necessity and paid almost double the price as if you reserve through the Galleria itself (long story). You must get there early to turn in your voucher for tickets. Very nice gift shop, decent staff are a bit overwhelmed by the mob so be patient. Took Metra to Spagna (spanish steps) and then cab - $10euro via a detour - be careful of that. Regardless this is an experience that should be on everyone's bucket list.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank jimbono
Austin/San Antonio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wife liked, husband didn't”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Audio guide was difficult to follow, and when you did, it was laboriously detailed. Poor signage and tattered laminated handout were hard to follow as well. We paid online in advance for an English-speaking guide, but when we got there, it was going to cost another 8 euro a piece, so we just rented a single audio guide device to share. The best word I can use to describe this place is "stuffy". Not the "poor ventilation" stuffy, but the "we have the coolest museum on the planet, and you are probably not worthy to be here" stuffy. I was bored most of the time, and couldn't wait to get to some place to sit down. You only get two hours to browse the museum, and they don't have chairs for you to browse from. The park is nice in the surrounding area, and next time, I would spend my money renting a bike and having a picnic, rather than being in a stuffy museum.

Visited June 2013

Been to Borghese Gallery? Share your experiences!