“Great reasonable accommodations in Rome”

Residenza Praetoria
Ranked #451 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great hotel that is only a few blocks to the train station. Our room appeared to be newly renovated. The staff was friendly, and breakfast was pretty good. Overall, an excellent option for great value.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard L

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This stay.., 2 x 2nights Sept & Oct 2013

I first stayed at this hotel in Sept 2010, so when I decided to go back to Rome it was a given that I would return to this welcoming family run hotel.
Whilst planning my trip I contacted the hotel in March 2013and enquired about availability for the dates I required in Sept/ Oct , I received a prompt reply stating the dates were available and a quote for the cost per night as I had requested.
Just about 2 weeks before my trip I received an email asking if I still required accommodation for these dates.... Horror filled me... I had forgotten to confirm. I cannot thank the wonderful owners enough for contacting me, as I would have turned up, travelling alone, on the given date without another thought.
This mix up was entirely of my causing, but was sorted out promptly to everyones satisfaction. Thank you again.

I was slightly disappointed this time to get rooms, on both 2 night stays, facing internal courtyards rather than the great street view I had in 2010, but merely put this down to the confusion with the booking. I was just glad I had somewhere to stay!!

This hotel is great value and in a convenient location close to Termini station. Although the area can look a little shabby, as a mature female travelling alone I never at anytime felt unsafe, even returning to the hotel late at night after dinner across town.
Wifi is good, breakfast is very basic, but plentiful. Rooms are very clean, staff are polite and helpful at all times and are able to communicate well in English, for those of us still trying to master a second language!

I will be returning to Rome again... many times I hope, and I know where I will be staying everytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the Front overlooking the street, although there is a market in the street most da...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Could not fault this hotel at all. Stayed two nights on a work trip and the room was everything one could ask for. Clean, spacious and comfortable. I have stayed in some four/five star hotels in Rome that do not measure up to this one. It is reasonably priced and having visited Rome for work and leisure over many years I would happily recommend this without doubt.
I love the Termini (train station) location as it is central and an ideal base especially if you are in Rome for the first time - however, if it is your first time beware of pickpockets and unsavoury characters around Termini but this has nothing to do with the hotels, just a piece of travel advice!
Excellent place to stay on all counts and I had a balcony to boot!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've been around Europe a time or 2 and I found this to be a great choice. The good: it's clean, safe, quiet, well located and a good value. The bad: I had trouble with wifi and hot water. Having said that, it was fine for me (not too picky) and I will certainly stay again. You can read the past reviews to figure out the specifics of location etc. One tip; as a solo traveler, they offer a single room that I did not find on the major travel sights, but only on their website, so i booked directly and saved 30Euro per night over the double room. The staff was better than average to be sure and it was literally a few blocks from Termini (3 minutes at a good clip). Try Agora restaurant across the street for a great dinner and Alice Pizza across the street for an easy, tasty and cheap pizza lunch.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Shaybly
DomusPraetoria, Manager at Residenza Praetoria, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank You for staying with us.
We are happy to hear You would choose our hotel again for your stay.
Can happen sometimes that signal in the rooms is not very strong, should have come to the lobby at reception for wi-fi.
I am surprised You hade some problems with hot water, I am wondering why. Shoul have report us and we would have checked to understand and solve the problem.
Sorry for any inconvenience and looking forward to welcoming You again!

Best regards,

Famiglia Menichelli

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel last september. The hotel is 3 blocks away from Termini station. Most of the main historic sites are within walking distance. The room was large, comfortabel and clean. Staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was simple yet sufficient (coffee was excellent!). The hotel is somewhat difficult to find at first as it is situated in an appartment building. Excellent value though.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McDownload
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is my second stay at Hotel Domus Praetoria in Rome. A hidden gem, fantastic value, very clean rooms, and two fantastic brothers that own/operate the hotel. We were in Room 105 on the ground level this stay, a great room! We reported the first day that the TV in the room wasn't working. The same day they had a serviceman check it out, and the TV was replaced with a brand new TV the next morning. The brothers who run the hotel are very, very helpful as are the other staff in the hotel. So close to Roma Termini station too. I believe the hotel is rated as a 2 star, but I would rate it easily a 3 to 3.5 star hotel because of the helpfulness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel, the well appointed rooms and the excellent value for money. I would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Domus Praetoria to anyone. Excellent!
Jonathan from Sydney, Australia

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jonathan1111
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is close to Tremini. It probably has the smallest shower in the world. Stay was ok, nothing special. Free wifi and breakfast was ok. Bathroom was a little smelly. Was a bit pricey for what you get. Glad we were only here for one night.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
DomusPraetoria, Manager at Residenza Praetoria, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for choosing Domus Praetoria.
I am very surprised to hear the shower in the bathroom was small.
All rooms have a large shower and few rooms have a standard shower for a medium build (90cm X 90 cm).
If is true that the bathroom was smelly could have told us.

Best regards,