“Good location, clean, helpful staff”

Residenza Praetoria
Ranked #446 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Arriving by air, I had an overnight stay at this hotel before traveling South by train. The location is very good, an easy short walk to Roma Termini, but one has to look for the house number and the list of occupants in order to find the hotel. My room was small, but the available space was very well utilized, featuring all the necessary amenities and very efficient remote control air conditioning. The unit was very clean, the bathroom fixtures were up to date (I loved the rain shower), and the bed was very comfortable. The Internet was sporadic, but good in the corridor and other public areas. The room was quiet, despite a market in the street next morning. I had to contact someone South of Rome and had great problems getting through. There was no cell phone reception in my room; however, the receptionist went out of his way to help and made several calls for me. Next day I got information about sightseeing buses and could leave my luggage for later pick-up. Upon my return the desk clerk made another phone call for me, and reminded me to hurry if I wanted to catch my train. Everyone went well beyond the call of duty. I certainly recommend this hotel especially for service and cleanliness.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Gisela E

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is our 2nd stay and it will be our "always" place to stay whenever we visit Rome! Massimo is so helpful and genuine. Super clean! FREE WiFi and the AC works!! Close to Termini for Metro, train, buses and or even the "Hop on Hop off" buses...

Absolutley the BEST for us!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank robertaltom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice little boutique hotel hidden away in an old building. Close enough but not too close to train station. Our room overlooked the street where a market was held each day. All was packed away by the time we went out to dinner and with the windows closed, there wasn't too much noise early in the morning as they set up..bed was comfortable, wifi good and bathroom adequate. Only downside was that shower was a little small but still ok. Breakfast (included) was typical Italian but sufficient for our needs. Staff good.

Room Tip: Would ask for an inside room if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is very close to Termini station, so if you're new to Rome you will have no problems finding the place. Being close to Termini also has the advantage that the metro and buses are close-by. The disadvantage is of course that most of the attractions of Rome are not near Termini, so you will use public transport a lot.

You have to ring the bell everytime you enter the hotel, as it is part of a larger complex of apartments. The reception always opened the door for me within seconds, so no problem there.

Check-in was fast and easy and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

I had a room (303) on the third floor. Be aware that the elevator is small, as are most elevators in Roman buildings like this. My room was a joy. Spacious, high ceiling, an excellent bathroom, air conditioning. The bed was pretty good too.

The breakfast was nothing special, but it's nice to have the option to have a cup of coffee and a pastry before you go out. There are many places to eat nearby, so if you want something more substantial in the morning, it should be easy to find. There is also a market right in front of the hotel on some days.

The hotel offers free wifi in the rooms. During the four days I stayed here, it was down for half a day, but otherwise it worked just fine. Not terribly fast, but fast enough to to some light browsing and send an e-mail or two.

This was by far the cheapest hotel I ever stayed in in Rome, but certainly not the worst. If you don't mind the location, this hotel is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank prasenberg
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Overall this hotel was a great place for what my wife and I needed. We were quickly welcomed by a staff member and our luggage was brought up to the room for us (what with the small elevator and all). Our room was very spacious as was the private bathroom. The room had a refrigerator but, if it was working, wasn't much cooler than room temperature. The location was great, 10 minutes tops from Stazione Termini. The staff were very polite and helpful in pointing us in the right direction. The hotel sits almost at the end of a street and, based on our room location, was very quiet. They have a sort of street market right outside the hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josh M
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very close to Termini station, has rooms with high ceilings and air conditioner. Not so much variety at breakfast but it's the way Italians prefer it. There weren't many people at the breakfast room so you could have a peaceful time in the morning. If you want a stay that is close to Termini station at an affordable price this place can be the answer. We had no problems with the staff or the room.
As for the cons, the neighborhood is not so decent so don't ramble around at night (not that we had any incidents but it does not feel so secure) Reception desk is open 24/7 and you don't have a key to enter the building so you ring the bell for them to open the door for you. As we observed, this is the case almost for every hotel in the area.
Check-in was real quick since the room was ready for us. We had no disturbance, it wasn't noisy or anything at night.
There is a pharmacy and a panificio very near the hotel which are convenient for your needs.
Cappucino at breakfast was also tasty, room cleaning was properly done so our room was kept tidy at all times.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We (2 persons) booked a double room for four nights after reading the reviews here at trip advisor, and we were not disappointed. The service was very familial, the room was clean, fresh and cosy with a slight romantic touch. Perfect for a couple. It's located in a typical hotel area next to the train station Termini. We could reach all major tourist attractions in Rome by foot without problems, although we took the subway to the Vatican, (just a couple of stations away, takes about 10 minutes). The breakfast was mediterranean standard, good enough for us! Altogether, a great little hotel I would highly recommend.

Note that Google Maps currently shows the wrong location. (It shows the location of Hotel Europa) Domus Praetoria is located on Via Milazzo, next to Termini. Follow the street down to the last block, til you see Hotel Gabriella, and the hotel is on the left, by a rather anonymous door. Have a good trip!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple