“Friendly clean hotel in fantastic location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Fenice

La Fenice
Ranked #1,693 of 3,758 Rome B&B and Inns
Chester, UK
“Friendly clean hotel in fantastic location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

Stayed here for five nights; I was in room 103 which I think might be a staff room (very modern, fantastically powerful shower, hairdryer in room etc.), my friend was in the Caravaggio room (402 on the fourth floor) which was more hotel style as in the pictures. Rooms not huge but well air-conditioned & all you'll want to do is sleep when you hit the pillows anyway! The staff on the desk were lovely, not the best English but very good anyway, and the lovely lady who greeted us every morning with a cheery smile & a cappucino in the terrace breakfast room every morning! Even has a lift for the big bags. Brilliant location, right between Piazza Barberini and the Trevi fountain and about a 25 minute walk with bags to Termini station and similar to the colosseum. Would happily stay here again, I just wanted them to give me a job so I could stay!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

Stayed 4 nights at Fenice hotel. Location is fantastic, between Spanish Steps & Trevi Fountain. Rooms (2nd floor) is small but convenient. Clean and functional small bathroom. Our room was very quiet. Amenities are basic (no hairdryer, no kettle, no ironing board - none can be borrowed from reception). Good choice for a reasonible price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

We just got back a few weeks ago and absolutely adored this hotel! The rooms were incredibly clean, convenient and great bathrooms! The terrace breakfast room was a perfect start to each day! The only word of caution would be to make sure that you're booked for the right hotel. We arrived and were told they over-booked and would be taking us to The Stylish. We put up a small fight but after being told it was relatively the same location we accepted and went to the new place. The Stylish I would not recommend. The rooms were brand new and quite nice but I felt like I was in a Manhattan apartment (where we're from) and not an authentic Italian villa. The hotel was also a 15 minute walk from anything... this was incredibly annoying and we moved back to the La Fenice for the remaining two nights...

To sum it up, the location is amazing, the breakfast terrace wonderful and the staff a real charm. Just make sure you end up in the hotel you booked (and not one of the other affiliates).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Lakeport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

Between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, the location was great. The hotel was very clean, freshly painted and carpeted, with nice furnishings. It was quiet and had air conditioning. The room was only about 10X12 feet, a challenge to put your luggage down and still move around, but the bathroom was nicely done in marble and adequately sized. If you can get used to the small space (we did, as we're not in the room much), the hotel is a great value.
The "view" from the one small window was ugly, but the small breakfast room was pleasant and the buffet good. The staff is polite, but not equipped to give much sightseeing info or assistance like some hotels do. They can help you find things listed in your guidebook.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Mahwah, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

My son and I just came back from 5 night stay at La Fenice. We had the best time! The staff was great, especially the girl in the breakfast room, and the white haired gentleman on the graveyard shift at the desk. La Fenice is a great value for it's location. It is like others have said, so close to everything. And , if it's not close, the bus is. We never did use the metro but it is just 5 min walk as is a main taxi stand area. The only complaint I have is that the beds were a little hard. But, even with that, I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights, mid-week, at the beginning of December. We arrived around 1pm and were greeted by the friendly receptionist. He told us that our room was ready and we would be in one of the annex rooms that is on a different street than the main hotel. I thought that was a little strange, but he assured us that the room was newly renovated and we'd like it. He had the housekeeper take us over there (it was just around the corner). The room was very nice - it had one very small window and two skylights, but there was a small balcony that would be nice in warmer months. Everything was new and very clean, so I was happy about that. Our only problem (which we realized the first morning) was that the hot water wasn't working. We let the receptionist know while on our way to breakfast and it was fixed within about 1 1/2 hours. Speaking of breakfast, it was ok - just a normal European breakfast buffet with rolls, cheese, meat, cereal, fruit. The hot chocolate was excellent (the housekeeper makes your hot beverage of choice). There was one thing though that completely grossed me out, but I didn't notice it until after we'd finished breakfast on our last morning - when cleaning up vacated tables, the housekeeper put any food that people had taken but not eaten and put it back on the buffet! Who knows if the people had dropped the food, sneezed on it, etc. Other than that, everything was fine and I would definitely stay there if I were to go back to Rome. The location was excellent - within easy walking distance of a lot of major sites, yet also really close to the Metro station which was nice for visiting places such as the Vatican and also for getting to/from the airport. It felt like a safe area too. Also, I highly recommend the restaurant (wine bar actually, but we just had water and Coke - the wine list looked great though) Vineria Il Chianti which is about 5 minutes away and pretty much right next to the Trevi Fountain (I was worried since it is in such a touristy area, but it was packed and the homemade pasta was so good - our best restaurant of the trip by far). Anyway, La Fenice was a nice, friendly hotel. I wish I had seen a room in the actual hotel so I could comment about that, but the annex rooms are good at least. Rome is a great city too!

• Liked — cleanliness, location, friendliness
  • Disliked — breakfast (not a deal breaker)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed a weekend in Rome at the beginning of Dec 2008. We read many reviews here in TripAdvisor, and we couldn't decide. Eventually we set our mind on La Fenice. It turned out to be a great success.
The rooms were very nice and it seemed that renovation has been done not so long ago. The water was hot, the service and courtesy of the staff was great. There were about 4 different receptionists and all were helpful and friendly.
Breakfast at the roof balcony was good as well. Excellent cappuccino...
Last but not least - LOCATION!
This hotel is pretty quiet and very central. Few blocks from the Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps.
We'll certainly come back again.

• Liked — Location, Service, room
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple