“Simple, clean, friendly and a great price - location”

Rome Downtown Accomodation
Ranked #59 of 3,743 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Rome Downtown Accommodation

Location:
We found this B&B an ideal location to be in Rome. It's within a 10-20 minute walk to so many of the main sights ie: Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum, Vittorio Emanuele Monument, Trevi Fountain, Campo de Fiori, Trajan's Market, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon etc. It's a 3 minute walk to the subway (Metro) which will get you to the Vatican, St.Peter's Basilica and the Spanish Steps usually within 20-30 minutes.

The Room
This B&B was clean, comfortable and the room was a reasonably good size. Breakfast was delivered to the room each morning (at a time you request) by the delightful and very friendly Lorenzo. (there is no common breakfast area) It was a nice breakfast that consisted of juice, coffee, fruit, yogurt and a pastry. There are six rooms, four fronting onto Via Cavour (which can be very busy) and two at the back…..Ours was at the back and was very quiet . It had double paned windows that opened easily. While there, Lorenzo insisted I look at one of the rooms facing the main street just to prove how good the windows blocked the traffic noise.
It did indeed reduce it substantially.

Lorenzo was extremely helpful in laying out the top sights to see on a map and instructing us how to get there.
The price of 120 Euro/nt was very reasonable for Rome especially considering the great location. The B&B is located in a large building and you can either take the elevator or easily walk up one floor to the 1st level. Lorenzo gives you 4 keys. One for the main door of the building, the B&B itself, your room and the safe. This is because after a certain time, Lorenzo is not there…..but you can call him. The only thing I would mention is that you have the option of paying for air conditioning (if you need it)…the charge is an additional 5 Euro each day.

We enjoyed our 3 nights at the Rome Downtown Accommodation B&B and we wouldn't hesitate going back.

Restaurants close to the B&B.

We throughly enjoyed our two dinners at the "La Base" restaurant across the street from the B&B. It has a very jazzy American decor with musical instruments and musician figures hanging everywhere. The the pizza and the following night's "Argentinian Beef Filet" were excellent. We did not however enjoy our lunch at the Ciardi Bar Pasticceria a few doors east of the B&B. When we were coaxed in from the street, I asked for a table at the back (less noisy)….and was told it'd be 2 minutes….While we sat next to clashing dishes for 15 minutes some new arrivals were taken to the back section. After complaining, we were finally taken to the back and then waited for 25 minutes for two bruschettas…..It was the worst we'd had in Italy and I cancelled the balance of the order which hadn't come after an additional 10 minutes. Oh and make sure you tell them what size Cappucino you want otherwise they'll automatically give you a large. Maybe we just got them on a bad day?

Room Tip: A room at the back will be the quietest however the good quality windows cancel much of the noise f...

Reviewed October 13, 2011

For a bed and breakfast- the two things you should be able to provide well are, obviously bed and breakfast. I would rate the facility average on those two counts. This is what I would say is bad, in my experience with the place:
1. The bed was of an inferior quality. Now, I understand that what you can expect in this price range (I am not asking for luxurious beds), but still, a mattress where you can feel the springs (and mine had a noticeable dent also in the mattress) is not acceptable. I wouldn't mind the room size being a little smaller, but a decent bed is a must.
2. The breakfast was ok ok, not too great - both quantity and quality wise.
3. The bathroom was weird. The shower (a glass enclosed one) was so small that though I am 5'8" and athletic build, I found it difficult to squeeze in. One of my friends who is > 6' and slightly well built would not have even fitted in the shower. The toilet was awkward - it was right in front of the glass shower and the space between them so tight that you could hardly fit your legs. Again, keep in my mind my height and even my wife who is 5' had difficulty using it.
5. The building being right in front of the main road (Via Cavour) that you hear a lot of noises.
6. There was no blanket provided in the cupboard- we realized it late at night when we felt a little chilly.

Now there are definitely some advantages to the place too:
1. The location is excellent. Many people have commented this and I totally agree. For people interested in indian food, there is a good restaurant just 2 minutes far.
2. Lorenzo was a good host. One star/rating is just because of him.
3. The building and the rooms were clean.
4. Value for money

One more thing to note is that they do not accept credit/debit cards ( I guess most of the B&B probably don't) - it is clearly mentioned in the mail when you book the room - not really a disadvantage, I am just mentioning it. Also, to be fair, I have no experience of the other B&B in the area, or what do they charge, my review is just based on what I have experience in other cities in Europe.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linkedlist
giuliettaRM, Manager at Rome Downtown Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Thank you for your review. You kind words about the warm welcome are very much appreciated. I am sorry to hear that you weren’t completely happy with everything.
Please kindly note we have seriously considered all your comments addressed in the review. Therefore now we are coming back to you with some very good news. We have just changed all the beds of all our rooms with new very comfortable and great quality ones.
We are situated in the centre of the city few steps from the Coliseum and Roman Forum, so is normal that sometimes there are some noise. We put in all the rooms facing the main street double windows with triple-paned glass, and the rest facing courtyard have double-paned glass.
Once you will close the windows the noise won’t be audible.
Once again thank you for your review.

Regards,
Lorenzo & Isa

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Like everyone has already stated, location is perfect. We walked here from Termini with our luggage because there was a public transportation strike the day we arrived in Rome, and no cabs were available. Ended up probably being quicker anyways. I think it was about 20min to walk there (walked back to Termini too after we checked out because it was so easy).

Lorenzo was awesome, extremely friendly and polite. He went through the map of Rome with us, had plenty of suggestions so that we never ran out of things to do. He even showed us the best areas to shop (good for me!).

The room and bathroom is pretty small, but we weren't in there much. There was only one big towel (and one hand towel). I asked for another one since there were two of us, but I'm not sure he understood me, so I won't count it as a mark against him.

You will definitely want earplugs. Our room faced the street, and while it had a nice view, it was also very noisy.

We literally walked everywhere. The area felt safe at night, though we didn't really stay out past midnight. You can pretty much see the Coliseum as soon as you step outside the building, and it's a five minute walk from there (more if you stop for gelatto...). Everything else was no more than half an hour away, but we didn't go to the Vatican as we were saving that for another part of the trip.

Stay here if you want to be close to everything without emptying your wallet.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

what more you could ask for? location is superb,situated in the heart of roma and a minutes walk to the major spots of rome.Lorenzo,the propietor is such a sweet guy,trying to give his best for the guest satisfaction,wifi is great too! i love everything in this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2011

From the e-mails to our first meeting Lorenzo is a friendly and a gracious host wanting to assure your stay is pleasant. The location is excellent. What more is there to say... find out for yourself! and yes, you will have enough Euros left over buy the day pass to the colosseo and eat dinner in the quaint streets near this B&B.

1  Thank wildfoodie
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The title says it all! Close to the Colosseum and transport links. Lorenzo was fantastic and very helpful making sure we had a plan to see the sights. Accommodation was pleasant and a nice refuge from the Rome heat and humidity. Nearby restaurants and fourno were excellent value. We will be back! Thanks Lorenzo for your help!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Nice place to stay. It was a great location, near the train station, the Colosseum, and lots of dining. The owners are very friendly and gave us a map and outlined places to eat/not eat, the best way to get around the city, etc. He brought us a large, good breakfast in our room every morning. The room was very clean and had free wi-fi. Definitely recommend it!