“Hidden Gem”
Review of Hotel Teatro Pace

Hotel Teatro Pace
Ranked #238 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Teatro Pace is truly a hidden jewel and I have not reviewed it because I want it to stay that way! In fact, it is easily 5 Stars except for the lack of elevator. I gave it less only because I don't want others to flock to it. Awful of me, I know
Historic, a Cardinal's former residence, a spiral staircase, an out of the way but close to everything back street... Teatro Pace has it all.
I usually stay in Trastevere because I like the non-mainstream, but thought I might put up with a change to a more central location just off the Piazza Navona. A welcome revelation, Teatro Pace is small and wonderful with a very good staff. It is just elegant enough and offbeat enough.
I love it. Please don't book it--just kidding.

Room Tip: The spiral staircase is spectacular. Think about the history in those worn stones, don't think...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank arts20th

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Teatro Pace is a small traditional hotel in the old centre of Rome, very close to Piazza Navone.

Experiences seem to depend on the specific room to which one is assigned. Mine was a small single room on the ground floor, with a view of the ventilator shaft. It was allright, but at 120 Euro there are better rooms to be had even in Rome. From other reviews I gather that the rooms on the upper floors are fantastic. Breakfast in the nextdoor cafe was simple, as Italian breakfasts traditionally tend to be.

But regardless of the room or the breakfast, I would recommend this hotel for the location. It is smack bang in the middle of the old part of Rome, with many restaurants close by and sights like the Pantheon within walking distance. The street is a fairly quiet one in a busy area.

Incidentally, the accessibility problems stated in some other reviews can be easily solved by asking taxi drivers to drop you off at Piazza Navone. From there enter one of the streets in the direction of the Vatican and turn off at the Teatro Pace street, which is one of the small side streets running parallel to Piazza Navona. This is only a few minutes' walk and it saves unnecessary hassle. If you mind walking, this is probably not the right hotel for you (no elevator). Nor, for that matter, the right town.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BeyondBlame
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The location of this hotel couldn't be better, nestling in a quiet narrow road in the beautiful streets surrounding Piazza Navona, it's central position means you're no more than a 15 minute walk in any direction of the majority of the tourist sights. There a plenty of good restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk so after an exhausting day exploring the city you're never far from your bed following a long dinner.

The hotel itself is beautiful, and was until fairly recently the home of a Cardinal. On entry you're met with the sight of a wonderful spiral staircase than winds its way up to the top of the hotel (a warning to those that are less mobile - there isn't a lift, and it's quite a way up to the top floor). The room was large, clean, light and airy, with very high ceilings and a wooden floor. Our room on the top floor (403) also benefited from a balcony overlooking the courtyard at the back of the hotel, and a separate (very small) room containing a wardrobe, which was great to keep your suitcases out of the way.

Breakfast was pretty good and it was very nice to have it brought to our room every morning at a time of our choosing (the hotel does not have a restaurant or dining room). You simply fill in a form near reception marking what you'd like from a selection of (very sweet) croissants, yogurts, cereal, charcuterie and bread, tea/coffee (cappuccino good, latte awful) etc.

The staff were polite and friendly, particularly Raby - who is sadly wasted on the night shift. He works from 11pm-7am and was extremely friendly, very knowledgeable and clearly keen to pass on local knowledge on places to see and do. I'd thoroughly recommend saying hello following dinner on your first night.

After throwing some change into the Trevi Fountain, I won't hesitate to stay there again on my return to Rome.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor at the back have a balcony. I emailed the hotel asking them to reserve the be...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OFJ86
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Upon arrival in Rome, my husband and I had booked a hotel called Hotel Giuliana. When we arrived, we were extremely disappointed with the location and the hotel and decided to find a new hotel to stay in. Using Lonely Planet, we came across Hotel Teatro Pace. We called and they were able to accommodate us that evening. They only had a single room available, but told us they would switch us to a double the following evening. With such short notice, we found this extremely helpful. When we arrived we were extremely happy with the hotel’s location- lots of restaurants/bars/shops within walking distance, and very close to Piazza Navona, and an extremely safe area. It is also within walking distance to all of the major sites. The hotel itself was very nice, clean, and the rooms were a decent size. The staff was extremely helpful during our stay, moving us into a larger room on the second night. We were supposed to check out on October 30th, but due to hurricane Sandy, our flight was cancelled. The staff made us feel right at home, finding a room for us for the next three nights. We ended up staying at Hotel Teatro Pace for nearly a week, and it truly felt like home by the end of our stay. If and when I return to Rome, this hotel is the only place I will stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Becky G
Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel, formerly a cardinal's residence, oozes charm. I warn you though, if you take a room on the upper floors, there is not elevator; only a wide and winding spiral staircase. I love it, but my father found it rather taxing. The staff are friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the upper suites and it was amazing to step out on the patio and see Rome from such a unique vantage point. It's in an incredibly charming area with narrow cobble stone roads lined with great restaurants. It is priced very well for Rome, particularly given its central location. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel must be in the best location in Rome for sightseeing. It is equidistant from the Vatican and the Colosseum. Everything is within walking distance. It is a bit hard to find at first. The hotel is an old building in the heart of the city. It is clean and quirky. The staircase is magnificent! The rooms are not your usual hotel rooms - ours was at least double height with the original wooden ceiling. No escalator, no bar, no dining room. This is a Hotel with a difference! All no issue as the staff is friendly and porters help you with the luggage and there are plenty of small bars and restaurants on the little streets surrounding the Hotel. It is maybe a bit unusual for breakfast as this is room service only. (so you have to decide what you want and there is no buffet). Overall - a fantastic option to stay really in the centre of Rome. I would definitely go back

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The joy in this hotel is finding it and once you do, nothing else matters. Location is perfect. Rome being such a joy and wonder to visit is assisted graciously by this hotel. A must for anyone. I travelled alone and when I was lost and called the hotel someone came to meet me in the piazza.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo