Il Palazzetto
$409
$381
Autograph
  • Pool
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
$148
$69
  • Free Internet
All reviewshassler hoteloverlooking the spanish stepsterrace barsister hotelperfect locationrooms are spacioussmall hotelvisiting romechurchluxurypiazzaromanmarbleannexbathtubsightsmetro
Reviewed June 12, 2009

A little late in writing this review (by almost 2 years!), but we are planning another trip back to Italy this summer with one night in Rome and of course I was reminded of our last stay at this incredible hotel. Gorgeous room, gorgeous bathroom, luxurious linens, breakfast at the Hassler. But what truly made it special was its location: not overlooking or near the Spanish Steps, but practically ON the Spanish Steps! And no, noise was not an issue. You have only to close the window and all sound is blocked. This was possibly one of our best and most memorable hotel stays ever.

Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wanderlust5
Reviewed May 2, 2009

This is a truely great find in Rome! I almost kept it from Tripadvisor. Stay here and you will be amazed at your good fortune. Room #4 overlooks the Spanish steps the room is elegant and the neighborhood very good for walking to the sights.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MidwestScott
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Overall I would say that our stay was disappointing and that is mostly due to the poor service received by the Palazetto staff.
We arrived a late (after 11.30pm) and as mentionned in the email confirming my reservation, we went straight to the Hassler to check in. We were greeted by Manuel who was charming, welcoming and very helpful. He took us to our room and made many excellent suggestions as to where to go for a drink and where to go for dinner the next day. All very positive.
The room was fine, nicely appointed but no view but that was made clear at the time of booking so no complaint there.
Our issues were really when we tried to ask the Palazzetto staff anything - e.g. recommendation for a restaurant: they could only be bothered to recommend a couple of abvious ones and in very touristic locations which is exactly what we did not want.
The very annoying part came at check out. We left our room on the third floor and took all our luggage to the reception to be told that we could not check out at the palazzetto and check in and check out were only at the Hassler. When I questionned this and said they should have told us earlier, the lady at reception then replied very aggressively that it was in the confirmation email I received (I checked and it was not) and that it was very clearly stated on the 2 pages of hotel information left in our room and it was really our fault and we should have read all the information received (!). Now ,we are on a weekend break with lots to see and do and I do not spend my spare time reading an A4 sheet of paper left somewhere in the room. What we especially disliked was the aggressive and patronizing tone used by this lady and the way she kept arguing with us, including with my boyfriend once I had gone all the way up to the Hassler to settle the bill. Clearly this is not a behaviour I expect or find acceptable in a hotel of such standard.
This was made even more confusing when the charming staff at the Hassler told me I could have checked out at the Palazzetto...
All in all, very disappointing attitude and we will not come back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NCH01
Reviewed February 24, 2009

This is an incredible hotel - I highly recommend it. The rooms are incredible - we stayed in Room 2 and loved it. The concierge is wonderful - they were so helpful, especially with suggestions of restaurants, bars, etc. The location is incredible - right on the Spanish Steps and on Metro stop: Spagna. The hotel is pretty much is located in walking distance of all of the main attractions. Because this hotel is connected with the 5-star Hotel Hassler, you are able to take advantage of all of the amenities at the Hassler. The breakfast is incredible! (and included in the price of the Il Palazzetto room fee) The restaurant at the Il Palazzetto is so nice as well and always apparently an attractive place for locals. Basically, you recieve 1st class service, but in a small hotel only containing 4 rooms total. Our room was always fresh and clean with maid service in the mid afternoon. The bed was super comfortable and the TV had American channels on top of other countries. The rooms are huge and extremely comfortable ambience. Wonderful honeymoon in Rome!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aharr14
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We recently stayed at Il Palazzetto at the Spanish Steps in Rome. This hotel is owned by the nearby (two blocks away at the top of the Spanish Steps) Hotel Hassler. The four rooms are all similar in size, decor, and furnishings—the are all top notch! Try to get one of the two rooms that face the Steps on the third (?) level. Although right on the Steps the rooms are surprisingly VERY quite. There is one room on the top floor but that may be problematic due to its proximity to the restaurant (more on that latter).

The room are very luxurious and have all the usual accoutrements. The walk in closet was a nice touch and the bathroom was spacious as was the bedroom. Included in our room price was breakfast at the nearby Hotel Hassler which was great. The staffs at both hotels were gracious and accommodating.

There are complementary appetizers at the restaurant on the roof of the hotel. Very good with nice wines and wonderful view of the city of Rome laid out before you. We had dinner one night at the hotel. Overpriced and food was only so so. This is a restaurant that highlights their “wines” and has a very good, and expensive, wine list. They tried to serve a wine that was different than what was on the list when we had dinner. I was willing to pay the slightly inflated price for the older vintage listed. We the wine arrived it was the current vintage and was never informed of the change by the wait staff. I refused the bottle before it was opened and order another less expensive but equally wonderful bottle of Italian wine. However, upon check out the restaurant had charged me for the more expensive bottle, which was removed after discussion with the desk clerk at the Hassler.

I will return to the hotel when back in Rome. Great location with nice size rooms and excellent staff. Forget the restaurant (except for a glass of wine with the free appetizers on the roof in the evening looking out on the city) overpriced with plus/minus food. To many other wonderful places nearby that are better for less money. That said, Il Palazzetto is a great choice when in Rome!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple