“Convenient and good value.”
Review of Hotel Serena

Hotel Serena
Ranked #391 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed overnight in May, 2013. The Serena is a three star hotel, so we did not expect a palace. It was conveniently located close to Termini railway station, which meant we did not have to get taxis. The hotel and our double room were clean and comfortable, the manager and staff friendly and obliging (apart from one girl). Breakfast was good and plentiful. Although we were only staying one night as our apartment for the next week was outside of Rome, the manager did all he could to help us. He provided safe storage for our suitcases and brochures for nearby sight-seeing. A week later we were back in Rome to catch a train to Padua. I was ill and my husband refused to let me take the three hour train journey that day. We returned to the Serena and asked if we could have a room for the night. All the rooms were booked, but the manager was very concerned for me. Breakfast was over, but he took me up to the dining room and got the waitress to make me a cup of tea with lemon, telling me to rest while he found another hotel room for us. My husband said the manager made 16 telephone calls until he found us a room nearby. I intend to go back to the Serena when I am next in Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bernadette M
There are newer reviews for Hotel Serena

Reviewed August 8, 2014

SEcond stay in Rome. Stayed 3 nights with my mother for a short vacation in Italy. Very conveniently situated, very quiet room (we asked for one), nice landlords, especially Marco - what a nice gentleman!
Very confortable bed. Copious breakfast (a rarity in Italy).

Good, cheap and sympathetic restaurant in front : L'aquile nera...

Good value!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet one. That's what we asked and got. We were on the highest floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I spent a total of 3 nights at this hotel while travelling in Italy with my sisters and our daughters. The hotel is conveniently located close to the train station, but the area is sleazy, the hotel staff rude and unhelpful and the single bedrooms tiny, uncomfortable and scruffy. I had booked a double room several months before our arrival so I could spend some quality time with my daughter who lives in England. We rarely see each other so I was upset when told we had been given single rooms on different floors instead of the double. The manager refused to speak to me and the staff made derogatory remarks about me wanting to share with my daughter. Both rooms had an unpleasant odor, one had no curtains and the cupboard doors in my room had broken hinges. The phone was on a small shelf above the bed (watch your head), and the telephone cord ran across the pillow. Breakfast was adequate, but the items weren't fresh.
We also stayed in a 3 star hotel in Florence. The service, cleanliness and rooms were far superior to the Serena.

Room Tip: Requests for a specific room type (double vs single) seem to be ignored, even when a booking is made...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank ThombiUSA
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a really negative review - however this was such a terrible experience I wanted to warn fellow travelers! Looking at a review from Travel_Bugger345 I can only assume that some terrible transformation has taken place since their visit!
I have traveled the world for over 30 years and can honestly say that this hotel is the worst that I have ever experienced. I was on a vacation with my sisters and our various daughters - a special time for all of us. The hotel was booked by the travel agent as she thought the location close to the Termini would be useful - what a major mistake! All the things you have heard about hotels near the railway station - from a negative perspective - were true! When the car from the airport brought us to the front of the hotel we all thought it must have been a mistake - seedy does not even begin to describe this. Ironically it was across the road from an establishment called the 'Hotel California' - those familiar with the song will understand the irony! The rooms were miniscule - just enough room for a bed and nowhere to open a suitcase other than the beds. The elevator was out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie - actually this would have been a perfect venue for a horror movie! The hotel staff were unhelpful to say the least the first night - however this was just the beginning of it! We had one night in this hotel and then travelled to Sorrento for the week-end. We returned to the hotel (despite misgivings as this was already paid for and July in Rome is not time to look for a new hotel at short notice). Our booking was for 3 double rooms - when we returned they informed us that one of our bookings had now been changed to 2 single rooms - with a move to a double room the following night. When we informed them that this was not acceptable as the rooms were confirmed and paid for as booked the person at front desk was incredibly rude - telling us we could find another hotel if we did not like it. When we asked to speak to the manager we were told that the manager was not on the premises and that she refused to speak to guests! The front desk clerk then proceeded to insult all of us in the party - quite unbelievable! This was only resolved when a second front desk person replaced him - a slight improvement.
Again we had the miniature rooms, with no working air-conditioning, limited wireless and condescending front desk attitudes for the remainder of the stay. The noise from the street was representative of the neighborhood - I will say no more here....
The only positive note is that the breakfast room was actually quite charming and the food was pleasant - as was the person serving in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Quite frankly I cannot suggest anything to make this a more positive experience - as the expression...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carlasroka
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Spacious room and bathroom (at least our room) but the view wasn't nice and unfortunately when we been there it were construction on the streets and we had big noise in the night,from the windows smell of food entered in the room with the windows closed, if some neighbor came to talk on the hall u can hear everything.If u find this hotel at a good price u can go .anyway is very hard in Rome to find a good hotel at a good price,the staff was nice and the cleaning was made everyday.The old elevator was very nice,we liked a lot.The breakfast could be better.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma T
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Terrible hotel. I traveled in Italy last week, and booked a single room for one night on 23th June in this hotel, unfortunately, my card and cash were stolen, so I emailed them to ask whether they have charged me or whether can allow me to cancel my reservation because I didn't have card nor enough cash to pay, but they didn't reply me at all, then I did not show up. After I came back to Ireland, I found they charged me 70 EURO!!! How can they do like this??!!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Yezi2014
Reviewed June 30, 2014

So gorgeous and relaxing. The rooms are beautiful, the washrooms are clean and modern, and there is a very effective lock system on all of the doors. There is also an elevator!

The breakfast in the morning is exquisite and the service is excellent. The only downside would be the location - though it was walking distance to the major tourist areas, it's quite far. Get ready to walk. A lot. Good thing: it's very close to the train station, which is a nice way to travel to other parts of the country!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family