“Great hotel-great location”

Palazzo Cardinal Cesi
Ranked #357 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for a night. It is literally across from the Vatican's St Peters Square. The staff was super friendly. Wireless internet is free and fast. My room had a double bed. Very decent, with cable tv. Breakfast is included and is really good, with a large selection of cold and hot items. Can't beat the breakfast buffet. I'd stay there again next time I'm in town.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TDYman

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Cardinal Cesi in September 2010 for our honeymoon and had such a great time that we returned in 2013 with our entire family.

The location is amazing. Once you walk out the door you are staring right at St Peter's Basilica. It is a truly magical experience, especially when there is a papal mass or papal audience happening in the square.

Americans might find the rooms a bit small compared to hotels back home, but they were fairly typical size of most hotel rooms in Europe and were very functional, with plenty of storage space. Housekeeping did a great job and the rooms were immaculately clean. The breakfast in the morning was great and all of the staff was very welcoming and friendly.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: All of the rooms we had were great. The bathrooms in the deluxe rooms were much more spacious and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NorthernLightsLodgeV
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I think we;ve lost count of the times we've been to Rome, and we've stayed in a fair number of hotels. But this comes in our top 3 and is now a favourite.

Amazingly well located, charming building, warm and comfortable rooms (ok they may be a little small by US standards but they are clean, comfortable, furnished to a high standard and for a Rome hotel room very good indeed)

Very good breakfast buffet. Staff very helpful especially with taxis, information etc.

We will DEFINITELY be back

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aquinasmagister
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Charming, quaint, great location(after all you are staying in a building with practicing nuns and priests not to mention its literally next door to the vatican and close to other great historical sites), free breakfast(which I've found is quite rare) and great food. I believe I decided to eat here every night it was so good(Try the lentil soup)! Oh did I say you are actually staying with nuns and priests? : ) I thought that that was cool...The only reason this place received 4 stars instead of 5 was because of the extremely small bathroom, understandable but a bit difficult to get ready in especially if you're sharing. I literally could wash my hands whilst on the pot. Had a corner room so lots of street noise but it did not bother me. Will stay here again!

Room Tip: Corner room with windows facing south and west that are closer to ground level are a bit noisy due t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vanessa R
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at Palazzo Cardinal Cesi in November after having traveled to Rome with my family.

In short, our stay at the hotel was perfect and I would very much recommend this hotel. You step off the street into the relaxing surroundings of the hotel courtyard. It is like stepping into a different world and simply beautiful. I enjoyed sitting in the courtyard at night relaxing and drinking coffee! I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff who were always eager to help. They arranged a transfer to and from the airport, which helped tremendously.

In the morning, breakfast was excellent. There was bacon, eggs, sausages together with croissants, cereals, toast among other things. There was coffee and a selection of juices. I never found myself hungry while out and about in Rome before lunch because I had eaten such a good breakfast. I might add that I found the hotel to be quiet and peaceful throughout my time there. It was a lovely contrast from the noise of modern life!

I also found the room to be very good and indeed luxurious. Every day, room service came round and left my room just as I found it when I arrived. There is also free wi-fi.

As for location, it was simply perfect. The hotel is about a minute walk away from St. Peter’s Square! The hotel also offers an excellent base from which to travel around Rome as there are various tour bus companies only a few minutes’ walk away. In addition, there are many excellent restaurants and shops nearby, both along the Via della Conciliazione and in the streets around the hotel.

Many thanks to the staff of the hotel for such an enjoyable stay and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TravellerFromTheUK15
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here so we could be close to the Vatican as St Peter's Square is only a couple of hundred feet away. You will not find a more helpful staff anywhere. Evelin in reception and Zana in the dining room provided the kind of service that defines excellence. As this is a 500 year old building and a converted monastery the rooms are not large but they are comfortable. Our room was clean and fresh smelling when we arrived. The bathroom was smallish but functional. The internet worked fine. We ate all of our meals here during our 3 day stay. Zana is a great cook and a wonderful hostess. Please know this is not a franchise hotel with a hugh lobby and big rooms. If that is what you are looking for go elsewhere but if you want a home close to the Vatican with a caring staff and good food then book the Palazzo Cardinal Cesi.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get two windows
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 06mike
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I visited Rome several times already and wanted a hotel right at the Vatican. I travel a lot and never fell into such a terrible trap!! The rooms were tiny, the bathroom smelled and it was disgusting and dirty. also there was this smell of sewage all over the place. At night it was so loud because of he metro right at the hotel, that you were not able to sleep. The breakfast was catastrophic and also the breakfast room was so loud that you couldnt even try to have a relaxed breakfast! This hotel is a tourist trap! It is wayyyy too expensive for what it is worth, which is nothing! Do not underestimate this review because as it is the hard truth!

Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank Delitravel
palazzocesi, Responsabile reception at Palazzo Cardinal Cesi, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Sirs,

We are really shocked reading your review.

1) Correct, we are directly attached to the S. Peter's Square - Vatican.

2) The building is from the 16th century, used for a long time as a monastery, so our rooms are the old cells of the monks, now fully equipped with every amenity and furnished with taste and style. They are small, even the bathroom (shower only), simple, but elegant and functional.

3) None of our Guests has ever complained about smell in the room, still less in the building! Please see all the other reviews, all our guests's reporting, about the perfect cleanness in our Palazzo Cardinal Cesi.

4) All our guests have breakfast included, which offers them a large selection of sweet and salted food. In case this is not enough for somebody, you can get even more by asking our staff! During lunch in the Refectory and all over our building is spread sweet classical music

5) As can be noisy here at Palazzo Cardinal Cesi during the night?
All of our rooms overlook the quiet street of Borgo S. Spirit, in front of the beautiful Building of the Jesuit Order; The rooms are equipped with electric shutters, so also the "light sleep" can have a relaxing night and the metro is a 10-minute walk away in the opposite direction!
We are famous for our tranquility, starting from our enchanting Cloister. There may be a lot of noise in Piazza S. Peter, but inside our building is total relax!

6) Are you sure you've been in our Palazzo Cardinal Cesi during your visit in Rome? We have never received any complains regarding the problems that you have indicated in your review!

7) All our staff are always available to meet the wishes of our guests and we are glad of accepting all the advice and consider any dispute arise regarding in order to offer a better service every time so that our guests feel at "home".

We are at your disposal for any further explanation.

Sincerely