“Clean and fit for purpose”

Hotel Dei Congressi
Ranked #333 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here for business. It was a satisfactory hotel for a short stay and seemed efficient and reasonably priced.
Bar & restaurant rather lacking in atmosphere. No pool or fitness room.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of hotel are quiter
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights while DH had a conference. We did not have a chance to choose our hotel; the conference chose it for us. The rooms are small but clean. The hotel seems a little old but we like it. My luggage did not arrive at the airport. While talking to the hotel about it, they reassured me that they are on a good basis with the company that delivers delayed luggage. They told me that delivery is done up until midnight and they asked me if I would prefer for them to call me as soon as it comes in, or after a set time (we choose 22.00) they would hold it for me downstairs until morning when I could come down and collect it. We would definitely stay here again because it was so convenient to the metro but out of the downtown area so it was cheaper.

That being said, I noticed a few things that I thought I would pass on to you. When we arrived they asked us if we wanted a king bed or 2 beds (hooray!). Most places in Europe seem to give you two beds pushed together and it seems like, for us anyway, someone always ends up sleeping in the crack. We stayed in room 463 and as people have mentioned there is construction across the street (not the hotels fault). I’m going to try to attach a picture so you can see what is being built. It’s HUGE and I’m guessing the construction will be going on for a LONG time.

They usually started working at 8:30 every morning. We didn’t have much problem with the noise. We closed the window, put on the air conditioner and turned on our tablets that had a sound machine app – but one morning (only one morning out of five) there was VERY LOUD banging that started at 8 a.m. – a little disturbing as I wanted to sleep but then I decided that since I was in Rome I should get out of bed and get moving. And the banging was so loud that staying on the opposite side of the hotel wouldn’t have worked because I could hear it from several blocks away as I was walking to the metro.

Breakfast was standard for Europe. Meats, cheeses, breads, pastries. They also had scrambled eggs (tasted like made with olive oil instead of butter … hubby loved them) and bacon. Also fruit and some cakes, coffee, tea, juice. You can order a cappuccino or an espresso at the bar and it is free. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant on the first night there. We ordered the taste of Rome – 5 courses including a glass of wine, and ½ liter of water. Cost 30€. Food was really good. Wine was so-so. A friend ordered off the wine menu instead and his wine was much better.

Now, a few things about our room. There are no clocks in the room. The internet is free and they will give you a voucher at the front desk but it is only good for one computer at a time. If you have 2 (like we did) then you need to ask for another voucher. It states very clearly on the voucher, that if the computer is not in use for 5 minutes, it will disconnect. We had almost no problems with our computers. A few nights when we came in late, we had a slow connection – this was usually around midnight when there were a lot of people online, but we always were able to make the connection.

There seems to be two types of plugs in Italy for connecting devices. We could not plug any of our 220v things in … computer, chargers for the phone and tablets because they had the thicker pins … we had to plug them into an adapter that had skinnier pins. Luckily for me, my husband always travels with adapters. The hotel provides a blow dryer, but if you are like me and want to use a straightener or a hot brush you’ll have some problems. The only outlet in the bathroom is for a shaver and it delivers VERY little power. There is a full length mirror outside the bathroom door but there is no outlet even close to it. I had to use my straightener on the other side of the room and keep running over to the mirror to take a look at it. It was very inconvenient.

There are no “Do Not Disturb” signs. You can deadbolt the door from the inside, but we usually like to put the sign out when we are down for breakfast so we don’t have to put all the items away until we come back to brush out teeth. Instead we had to lock everything up before going down. My husband’s conference finished at 11.00 on the last day. He came back to the room to change as we were going out sightseeing. In the middle of changing, the maid knocked on the door and came in as she was knocking on the door (we did not have a chance to say “just a minute” or go to answer the door). Needless to say, she was VERY embarrassed. So, I would say, if you are changing, and the room has not been cleaned yet, make sure you use the deadbolt. :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank natowife
Reviewed October 19, 2011

You HATE the Internet and don't plan to use it. You LOVE the banging noise of heavy construction, early in the morning, even on Sunday. Have I got a hotel for you!!

It's a pity that unworkable Wi-Fi and the ongoing construction across the street make the experience at Hotel dei Congressi so bad. The rooms are oldish but in very good upkeep, clean, pretty large for Rome, and well-lit (also unusual these days.) The restaurant is OK, breakfast good, staff friendliness so-so (again not bad for Rome). Location is far away from the tourist places but very easy to reach by Metro, balance good deal vs. scarce local amenities.

But the Internet access is so bad it really spoils the experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Alejandro P
L_Figura, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Dei Congressi, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Alejandro P,

I am very sorry for the unpleasant experience you had at the Hotel dei Congressi. We made several improvements to our Wi-Fi, and we can now guarantee a good connection speed in all rooms.
Unfortunately, we cannot do much about the noise coming from the construction of the Nuvola, the new EUR congress center right in front of us, but the building will be completed by the end of 2014, and it will certainly create an exciting atmosphere in the EUR neighborhood!
We thank you for the time you took to write this review, and hope you will give us another chance to offer you a pleasant stay at the Hotel dei Congressi.

Lorenzo Figura

Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotels rooms are very dated. I had one of their "best" rooms. I had an electrical panel with fuses exposed by the door, old tired furniture and a TV that was about a17" flat screen. Oh and the free wireless didn't work in their "best" room either. To top it off the room faced directly to a busy building site. Even noisy on Sunday.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JohnLCrain
L_Figura, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Dei Congressi, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear JohnLCrain,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay at the Hotel dei Congressi was disappointing and I sincerely apologize. Review like this one really helps us to improve.
We take our guests’ feed-back very seriously, and I want to share with you how we addressed some of the issues you pointed out:
- All rooms were renovated during years 2011-2012.
- We have improved the Wi-Fi connection and we can guarantee a very good
internet-browsing experience in all rooms.
- The construction site you refer to is the new EUR congress center, the “Nuvola”. It is scheduled for completion by the end of 2014 and we are confident it will contribute to improve the surroundings and make for a pleasant stay!

Thank you again for your feed back.

Lorenzo Figura

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Not a bad stay, clean enough staff seem OK but didn't really have much inter action with them, most speak English. Breakfast was fine with a typical continental range, fresh coffee. I had dinner in the hotel and chose the set 4 course menu for €30 which I thought was value for money, the food was very good. Bed comfortable enough for me but may find the mattress too hard. Free WiFi but coverage intermittent. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank EODUK
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We've stayed in the hotel with my wife for 3 nights and hotel is just OK . It's just 5 minutes walking from the Metro EUR Fermi station but just near the station is an awful flea market ...Very very annoying.. The hotel itself is an old building with probably 15-20 year old furniture but it looks OK . We were allowed to check-in early at about 9:30 and we were very happy with it. Our room was large and clean with an 22'' LCD TV. Bathroom was clean as well. Probably the best thing is the free WI-FI connection. The breakfast was above average for Italy and the espresso is included. Staff was helpful, especially the night bartender.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgiP
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I've stayed in this hotel just for one night but I was happy with it. It's not in the city centre and you need to take a subway ( by the way one day travel card for subway cost 4e) but it only takes about 20 minutes to get there and than about 3-5 minutes to walk to the hotel from the subway station = really easy. The hotel is still facing a building site so it might be a bit noisy in the morning unless you have the room on the other site of the hotel I guess. My room was big, clean - the only thing I miss were the tea/coffe facilities in room (ok not each hotel have them) and it was easy to get the tea in the hotel bar - it cost 2.5E there. In the bathroom there were 2 small "kits" one with with "brush" to clean your shoes and the second one was with the hair band, few pads to remove your make up, small emery board and "sticks" to clean your ears - really cool. I arrived early - before check in time but i could left my luggage there and go sightseeing. And I was really, rally late for the breafkast but still was able to have it: there was bread, cakes, some ham, yellow cheese, white cheese, jams, joghurts - it was good enough for me.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo