“Great place to stay in Rome!”
Review of Domus Carmelitana

Domus Carmelitana
Ranked #448 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Technically a religious house, rather than a conventional hotel per se.

Very close to the Castel St. Angelo and a short walk to the Vatican.

Beds were very narrow but quite comfortable.

Rooms were clean and a/c worked well. Modern bathroom fixtures. Shower is American style with fixed showerhead, but stall is very tight.

Rooms have very high ceilings.

May have road noise if on side of building next to busy street. Our room was on other side and was very quiet.

Wonderful european style continental breakfast, but with American coffee and orange juice. I actually miss having prosciutti and cheese on bread for breakfast now!

Staff was wonderful and helpful. Not all spoke good English, but they always did the best they could!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank jgulecas
There are newer reviews for Domus Carmelitana

Reviewed May 9, 2008

When I was making plans for my trip to Rome with my son (9), I chose Domus Carmelitana mainly for it's excellent central location, less than 10 minutes from St Peter's. I was pleasently surprised when discovered that children pay only 50% of the price - a rare offer in Rome! I certainly recommend it to families with children.
Domus Carmelitana is listed as a catholic guest house, but it is really a very cozy hotel, with moderate, but comfortable and modern rooms and a magnificent roof garden, where it seems that you can touch the dome of St. Peters cathedral with one hand, and Castel Sant'Angelo with the other. We also loved the view from our room - seeing Castel Sant'Angelo from our beds made us really feel in Rome. Breakfast was very copious and fresh and very tastefully presented. My son liked the satellite TV in the room and internet in the lobby. I liked the chapel. For people coming by car there is a lot of parking space in a private yard, and for all of us, impatient to explore the eternal city, there is a terminus stop of a very useful express bus line right around the corner. (It also gets you directly to the Termini Station in just 15 minutes or so).
We will always remember our stay in Domus Carmelitana. It made our stay in Rome even more memorable. ... And it also taught my son (who loves ancient Rome and Romans) once and for all, that the Latin word "domus" is one of the very few nouns ending in -us that are not masculine but feminine; therefore, not "Domus Carmelitanus", but "Domus Carmelitana"!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank nikica
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed in Domus Carmelitana for 2 nights with my boyfrend and it was great! Super super clean, nice receptionist, good breakfast, and very centrally located. You can actually walk from it nearly anywere (specially Vatican, but also Piazza Navona, etc.). I would definately come back! Plus, the area is very very quiet.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank saraloma
Reviewed March 31, 2008

The Domus Carmelitana is not a hotel but a religious guest house. This is important to remember because there is less service than you expect by its looks. The rooms are very like the rooms at a retreat house, spare but comfortable and very clean. The beds are small. Big people should beware. The lobby area has plenty of space to relax and there is a full bar. However, the men behind the front desk are responsible for tending bar, receiving guests, checking out guests, answering phones, emails and guest questions and logging guests onto the shared computer. They made dinner reservations for us as well. So, they are sometimes a bit frazzled as there is often only 1 man on duty at any time. Some are friendlier than others and some have better English than others. The Americans here are mostly older and my teenagers would have preferred a more lively hotel. For the price, though, the Domus can't be beat. I would definitely stay here again. I find it much nicer than comparably priced hotel chains.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I stayed at the Domus for 8 nights and it was wonderful. The rooms were clean and the facilities were terrific. The beautiful chapel and roof garden were lovely and my group and I enjoyed everything about our stay there. The receptionists at the desk were terrific-Paulo, Stefano, Massimo, and Alessandro were all so helpful and pleasant. I would certainly reccomend this hotel to anyone travelling to Rome!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank jackatak23
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Stayed At Domus Carmelitana Dec. 24-26. The accomodation was average but we had a terrible time with the receptionist. On arrival, we were told to leave our passports <US passports>. The night before we left, we claimed our passport back but the receptionist could not find it. We were treated with disrespect, the receptionist was rude and he lacked communication skills. He argued with us but we suggested that he call the other receptionist, fortunately he found the passports in one of the locked cabinets. The receptionist never apologized, he remained proud and arrogant.
We would have stayed again in this simple facility but I have zero tolerance for rudeness and disrespect especially for people working in customer service.

Stayed: December 2006
7  Thank frqttrvlr.
A TripAdvisor Member
Camden, NY
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day holiday in Rome and we stayed at the beautiful Domus Carmelitana. The rooms were clean and well kept. The air conditioning was a blessing as it was very hot in Rome while we were there. Our room faced a very quiet street and the windows and shutters did a good job blocking any outdoor sound. It was easy access to the bus transportation. This hotel is only three tenths of a mile from the Vatican and the view of St. Peter's Dome from the roof garden is a beautiful site. The staff was very helpful and spoke english very well. The breakfast, although not what we are used to as americans was very good.

It was wonderful to come "home" to this beautiful haven at the end of a hectic day of site seeing, or in the middle of the day for a short rest and nap. We would definitely stay there again should we return to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2006