“Great location, not much razzle”
Review of Domus Carmelitana

Domus Carmelitana
Ranked #482 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 5, 2013

After moving last minute from a B&B due to bed bugs, this hotel was a very nice change. My wife and two friends were here from March 21-25 2013. Our room was clean and simple, 4 twin beds, tile floor, and clean bathroom. There wasn't much to the rooms or the hotel, but its location can't be beat. It is a 3 minute walk to Castel St. Angelo, and a 7 minute walk to the Vatican. Cab to the Colloseum is 10 euros and its a 25 minute walk to Trevi Fountain or Campo Di Fiorno. The rooftop terrace has beautiful views of the city including the dome of St. Peters.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights last week. The staff was terrific, overall. The breakfast was delicious. The hotel is very clean. In addition, we had a lovely view. That was great.
Unfortunately, our room (on the third floor) smelled like a sewer. We were so tired from traveling when we got there and had limited time to explore Rome, so we just put up with the stench (instead of going through the hassle of switching rooms). We had two single beds and they were extremely narrow (smaller than normal twin beds). We both slept poorly because when we would turn, we would have to stop ourselves from falling off the beds. (And I'm rather small/narrow.) The shower was narrow, which I didn't mind, but it was challenging for my husband (who is larger than I am -- 6'1" and 190 lbs) to turn around in it. (Be forewarned that the towels are very thin -- more like cloth napkins than towels. I didn't mind that, but it's still not great).
If you're a physically small person, who is no frills-oriented and wants a clean place near the Vatican, then this place will work for you (as long as all the rooms don't reek -- which I doubt they do).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T M
Massimiliano G, Manager at Domus Carmelitana, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you for your review, we always appreciate feedback from our guests and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Domus Carmelitana.

We are sorry about the smell in your room, we had a problem with the air conditioning system in 3 of our rooms when we switched it from the winter to the summer settings, but we resolved the problem shortly after your departure. However, if Reception had been informed of the problem, they would have solved it much sooner.

Regarding the size of the beds, the mattresses are Italian standard size, the size you find in every Italian shop: 160x190 for a double size and 80x190 for a single size.

We are really sorry you didn’t like our towels, we are really very proud of them: really big, 100% cotton honeycomb towels, which are not as thick as terry towels, but they are eco friendly and dry you a lot quicker. Many customers ask us where they can buy them, as they would like to purchase some to take home with them, so we know they are popular with our guests.

The shower in your room, room 309, is one of the smallest we have, but it is still regular size. The room on the other hand is a very large room in a really quiet position.

We hope to have you as our guest again and send you our best regards,

The Management,
Bettina

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last week for 6 nights , the Domus is impecibbly clean , the staff are really friendly and keen to assist , breakfast was included .
The Domus is located a short walk from the Vatican , Castel Sante Angelo , the Vatican and the Tiber . There are numerous restaurants and excellent shopping nearby . Whilst the accommodation is a little Spartan all in all I would give this establishment a quality tick .

Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank gibboa
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I regularly stay at the Domus Carmelitana and have recommended it to all my friends and family, many of whom have also stayed there. The location is perfect, between St. Peter's and Castel Sant Angelo. The rooms are comfortable equipped with a refrigerator and air conditioning in the Summer which is free of charge. The breakfast is the best I have ever had in Rome, lots of it, varied and also with bacon and eggs available. The staff on the front desk are courteous, helpful and very friendly, important to me when I enter a Hotel on arrival and during my stay. There is a bar which serves alcohol, soft drinks, teas and coffees and a very reasonable price. There is a lovely rooftop terrace to enjoy the views across Rome or to sit and relax reading a good book in relative peace and tranquility.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DenisH
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Located in a lovely neighbourhood, a few minutes walk to the Vatican, this is a restful haven after a day's touring Roma. The atmosphere is very peaceful and the room is basic but very comfortable. The wifi was a bit patchy, but this could be the Italian connection. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Double glazing on windows - our room overlooking the car park was quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ozepam
Reviewed September 10, 2012

A nice stay which is close to St. Peter's Square. Clean and quite. Parking available. Rooms with T.V., fridge and A/c, even though it is not on all the time. Shower in the bathroom is fixed. Breakfast was very good and varied. Use of internet is available. 30 mins per day is free. Front office desk is also very helpful, 24 hours a day. Entry in the evenings is not restricted. Before you check out, you will have to pay the taxes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KarWri
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was my first trip to Italy and I spent two days in Rome for my honeymoon. I was traveling with a group of friends who visit Italy a couple times a year and this is a place they stay often. What I learned from my friends is that Rome is very pricey, it is also difficult to find a hotel that is in the center of Rome, close to all attractions, with parking for a good price. This place was perfect. If you are looking for an upscale American style hotel, well then this is not for you. However, if you are traveling with someone who needs assistance climbing stairs, the hotel ha an elevator. The rooms were very simple, but clean. Included air conditioning, hair dryer and small fridge decorated with a Cross over the bed. The staff was very helpful and they served a great breakfast. Hot water didn't always work, but who cares, really? You are in Italia! Also, the hotel clerk's doubled as a mini cafe with snacks, which I frequented often. My last night there I discovered a roof top terrace in which overlooks parts of Rome. Can't beat the price!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends