“Ok not sure about 3 stars though?”
Review of Hotel Garda

Hotel Garda
Ranked #582 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 1, 2011

On arrival in Rome our transfer from the airport to hotel was 50 minutes late! When we finally got to our Hotel Hotel Centrale we were told that the Italian Agency IMG Incoming had over booked and we had to transfer to Hotel Garda. Another taxi drive away we arrive at our new hotel Hotel Garda. There is only a very small plaque on the wall you could very easily miss the place! You have to ring a buzzer to enter and push a big heavy wooden door. You walk down a long corridor marbled floor to another door and buzzer. Then a lift that fits 2 people or 1 person and a big suitcase upto the 4th floor for reception.

The lady on reception checked us in but wasnt interested in helping us out trying to sort our transfer back to the airport out. Our room was very small dark and dingy. It reminded me of a room we had in New York some years ago. There was a small window but no real light came in. There was a mini bar/fridge but you had to move a chair to get in it and it wasnt capable of keeping a bottle of water cold........... The bed was ok but the 1 pillow each wasnt enough they were as flat as pancakes! There was a wardrobe which was that tall you had to use a pole to take your clothes in and out.

The bathroom was ok but the toilet was so close to the wall if you were wide or tall your legs would be up the wall! We had plenty of towels and there was shampoo/gel but this wasnt topped up at all in the 4 days we were there. The shower was naff it went hot and cold and the shower head was old and worn so water sprayed all over the place.

The room temperature was too hot and stuffy and we only managed to get a remote control for it on our last night which meant a couple of nights being woken up too hot. The room was not noisy and we didnt hear any outside noise.

The reception area was clean. All but one member of staff a more senior gentleman were useless they didnt want to help you out.

Breakfast! In a small neat and tidy room you were served fresh coffee tea and hot chocolate. Food a cake like a maderia a tart like a treacle/jam tart and 2 types of danish plain and custard which were all nice and fresh. There were also some hard white rolls and some packs of jam and soft cheese. One type of cereal ie cornflakes. Milk and 2 orange juices. No ham or meats.

The room had a wiff regardless of whether we left the window open all day or not! The area seemd ok close to the attractions we walked everywhere and a few minutes walk from the Hard Rock Cafe. There is a shop next door and a cafe with outside seating too.

One niggle is the WI FI we couldnt always get on it and you have to pay for it! We used the Hard Rock Cafes which was free but you have to show your passport and leave your email address. Not many cafes seem to have it or be willing to let you use it? The only other free place was a The Vatican.

It was ok even for a few nights as we were out most of the day and night. You wouldnt want to hang around these rooms in the day.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KimQueenofQuo

Reviewed June 17, 2011

The most important advantage of this small, comfortable, almost family hotel - is it's location, in a very heart of Rome. And, please, don't be concentrated on the amount of hotel stars - it often happens, unfortunately, that in a 5 St.Hotel you don't get that kind of sincere attention and anxiety from the friendly personnel, that you really get here! And I will certainly advise you to make friends with a smiling, charming & kind, beautifully Russian speaking duty administrator Claudio, who are absolutely ready within 24 hours to prompt & help you!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank A_Katerina
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The location is great! You can take the metro, buses, walk to piazza di spagna (we walked a lot and came back from as far as campo de fiori in the evening). Very convenient for a stroll at the park and to visit galleria Borghese. Great friendly staff, gave us a lot of information. Coffee in the morning is one of the best we had. Price is a lot (around 165 euros) for what you get: the room is small and really basic. I can only justify this seeing the thousands of tourists that fled to the city every day and the high prices of the hotels everywhere. If I was going again I would stay in the same area and maybe at the same hotel. Good luck!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Web site description and pictures don't tell it is situated at 4th floor of very old residential building. To access you have to ring the street bell at the building gate and across the backyard to reach the lift, in common with the rest of other residents. The hotel itself is very small no more than a bed and breakfast without services, wifi etc,
unbelievable how they got the three stars.
rooms are very small even if new, walls are so thin that It's like the hosts were sleeping all together.
I'm really disappointed as I paid a very high rate, 170euros which is too much for this kind of accommodation. And worst, I realized that only once arrived.

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2011

As soon as we walked in at nine in the morning, the gentleman behind the desk stowed our bags and gave us many helpful directions via a map. When we returned that afternoon, our bags were in our room. The morning coffee was excellent-way better than cafes. The location was perfect-not far from Spanish steps, metro, and points down town. Front desk helpful. TIP: I heard on here that it was hard to find. I went on google maps on looked at the street view. It was helpful when getting dropped off by the taxi from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Here is what we loved:
- Location - especially if you have business at the US Consulate
- Flexibility and friendliness of staff
- Cleanliness
- Free Breakfast (excellent coffee!!)
- Comfortable bed
- Parking Garage only a block away
- Not far from Metro, best way to travel in Rome
- Great price
Why pay for four stars when you get more with a three star hotel?

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I'm not normally one to write reviews but my experience with this hotel was horrible I had to write and warn people. I stayed here 2 nights was supposed to stay for a week. On the second night as I came back the night clerk followed me back to my room and asked for a kiss after I passed the front desk. Since this was a small hotel he was the only one on duty at the time, when the next staff member came on duty I told him what had happened and he didn't believe me and asked why the other guy would do this. I checked out and asked for a refund (since I had pre-paid via Orbitz). He refused to give me a refund since "the hotel had already been paid". Eventually after 5 hours on the phone with Orbitz and the hotel hanging up on Orbitz several times they were able to process the refund.

I really hope they fired this guy

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo