“totally out of expections”
Review of Hotel Garda

Hotel Garda
Ranked #562 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
milan
“totally out of expections”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Web site description and pictures don't tell it is situated at 4th floor of very old residential building. To access you have to ring the street bell at the building gate and across the backyard to reach the lift, in common with the rest of other residents. The hotel itself is very small no more than a bed and breakfast without services, wifi etc,
unbelievable how they got the three stars.
rooms are very small even if new, walls are so thin that It's like the hosts were sleeping all together.
I'm really disappointed as I paid a very high rate, 170euros which is too much for this kind of accommodation. And worst, I realized that only once arrived.

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2011

As soon as we walked in at nine in the morning, the gentleman behind the desk stowed our bags and gave us many helpful directions via a map. When we returned that afternoon, our bags were in our room. The morning coffee was excellent-way better than cafes. The location was perfect-not far from Spanish steps, metro, and points down town. Front desk helpful. TIP: I heard on here that it was hard to find. I went on google maps on looked at the street view. It was helpful when getting dropped off by the taxi from the airport.

• Stayed February 2011
Perugia, Italy
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Here is what we loved:
- Location - especially if you have business at the US Consulate
- Flexibility and friendliness of staff
- Cleanliness
- Free Breakfast (excellent coffee!!)
- Comfortable bed
- Parking Garage only a block away
- Not far from Metro, best way to travel in Rome
- Great price
Why pay for four stars when you get more with a three star hotel?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I'm not normally one to write reviews but my experience with this hotel was horrible I had to write and warn people. I stayed here 2 nights was supposed to stay for a week. On the second night as I came back the night clerk followed me back to my room and asked for a kiss after I passed the front desk. Since this was a small hotel he was the only one on duty at the time, when the next staff member came on duty I told him what had happened and he didn't believe me and asked why the other guy would do this. I checked out and asked for a refund (since I had pre-paid via Orbitz). He refused to give me a refund since "the hotel had already been paid". Eventually after 5 hours on the phone with Orbitz and the hotel hanging up on Orbitz several times they were able to process the refund.

I really hope they fired this guy

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank MRose427

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

London
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Paper thin walls and wireless internet you can only buy for three hours at a time,
other than that, a pretty decent place in a nice area of town.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2010

HOtel Garda looks good from the outside, once you find it. Unfortanately they dont have a big enough sign.(small gold plated plaque approx size of dinner plate, just square) Even our airport transfer guy had trouble finding it too. Once we found it and walked through the massive wooden doors, there was a long passage way. There was no signage so we got a little confused as where to go. But a fellow traveller advised us to take the elevator up to the fourth floor where we were greated by Claudio. This hotel is in a good location - 7 minutes to Spanish Steps, 11 minutes to Trevi Fountain. 5 minutes to train station 15 minutes to the Pantheon. But right next door to the Villa Borgehese.
Our room was small, but I expected that in Europe. Bed comfortable.The bathroom was simple but clean and had everything we needed, except maybe a shower curtain. The floor got quite slippery, if we did'nt sit down to shower.
Service from this hotel was fantastic right from the very moment I first emailed them, Filipo was nothing but helpful and answered my million & one questions. He arranged my day tours, gave me excellent directions when I wanted to walk to sights. Great tips on local restuarants and even provided an early breakfast for us when we headed off at 6.00am for a day tour to Naples. Nothing was ever too much trouble for Filipo. My recomendation for this hotel would be to give the rooms some brighter decor and lick of new paint and add a much bigger sign outside. Other than that our stay here was quite good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angelblue40
Rome, Italy
Reviewed September 29, 2010

In terms of location, Hotel Garda is relatively good, 10 - 15 minute walk to most central locations. Good variety of restaurants close by.

The lobby area and breakfast room is modern however the rooms are extremely small. dingy and old. The bathrooms are ridiculously small and in reality this hotel should be rated at a 2 star rather than 3 star. The single rooms are small and claustrophobic and dark.

The breakfast is basic - pastries and bread however you are able to drink freshly made espresso.

The staff are very friendly and provide a map on arrival and outline the sights worth seeing and highlight best routes etc.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family