“It was very good for the money.”

Champagne Garden Hotel
Ranked #1,060 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 12, 2009

It was very good for the money ........................................................................................................................................................

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tuncaybe

Reviewed August 16, 2009

This hotel is perfectly located for travelling around Rome. The only place we couldn't walk to was The Vatican. The rooms are very small and the shower was tiny but clean. To be honest I was quite disappointed when we first got there but soon got over it as you don't go to Rome to stay in the room. I would go back there again considering what we paid for it. We paid £144 for 3 nights inc breakfast. Breakfast was ok but would have liked toast. This hotel is definatly not 4*. One point to note was the minibar, I thought it was free as there's no mention of prices anywhere until you check out.
If you are going to the hotel by coach or train then don't do what we did, we went to the top of the station and walked up the street, the hotel is at least half way up and in the August heat it felt miles away. The quickest way is to cut through the station and acroos the road, it takes at least 15mins of the walk.
The staff were very helpful and always polite. We hardly heard any noise from outside so had a good nights sleep but the beds were very hard.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samlPlymouth
Reviewed July 31, 2009

OK hotel, nice personal and close to the train station.
Didn't have the feel of a 4 star though.. And I have never in my life seen a dirtier shower curtin!
Nice lobby and sitting area but the hotel rooms might need to be freshend up a bit..
One room we stayed in had such a small shower I could hardly turn around (I'm a slim 22year old), and one of the lists fell of the shower door...

The breakfast was ok but a choice of bread would be nice.

Area: Close to the train station and walk to coleseum. Quite central.
Not on the big main road, but not far in some back alley either wich was good since the area around "termini" and the trainstation is a bit dodgy at night.

Payed 80 euros a night incl. breakfast and thought that was good value for money. Wouldn't wanna pay more though.
All in all: an OK hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ahy
Reviewed July 21, 2009

This hotel is good value for money. The decor is charming and rooms and bathroom etc are all very clean. I would recommend it to mid range - low budget travellers who are new to Italy. Breakfast is good.

The only complaint would be that internet doesn't reach the room most of the time and on the rare occassion that it does, it's a very slow speed.

The beds are very firm - but we found that with most beds in Italy and there wasn't an iron available. One last comment would be that it doesn't provide an information card when you arrive on how to contact reception, how to use the safe, obtain internet and other small details etc. Also, don't pull the cord in the shower - it's for emergency (not an exhaust fan), although there is no sign to tell you this!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AussieFemale35
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I chose this hotel because it was close to the train station and I thought it would be easy to get there after a long flight. Not only was it easy to find but it turned out to be in a very good location. If you like to stay in a busy neighborhood, this hotel is not for you. But if you prefer a quiet area, this is it. Even though there are tons of hotels in the streets nearby, since there is no real touristy stuff to do here, it's very quiet at night. There are enough decent restaurants around. No gourmet stuff but ok. It's 5 minutes from the station and all the buses and the subway. Rome being a rather small city, you can walk from the hotel to the Colosseo in about 25 min. There is a supermarket just across the Piazza Indipendenza, if you need drinks or food. The internet is also a 2 min walk. And there is a good restaurant, Florian's, on the Piazza also. Good food, especially the pesto trofie!

I don't know about the other rooms but mine was the smallest I've ever seen. I have to say that I was in shock when I first saw it but you get used to it very quickly and you don't go to Rome to stay in your room! Yes, it was small but the room was well equipped and it was fine for my needs. Don't expect anything modern, the decoration is quite dated and the walls need a fresh coat of paint. But everything was clean. If you're a bigger person, forget this place. I had to walk sideways to get to the toilet and the shower...

The breakfast was fine for me. Not 30 choices of food but how much do you need? Coffee, croissants, cheese, eggs, salami, cereals, bread, Nutella, yogourt, more than enough.

The staff was nice. It seems that the same guy works there 24/7 but apparently he's not fed ud, and always answers your questions, gives you map, tell you where to get the internet.

The only things is that there is nowhere to sit outside your room (in my room, I couldn't sit at all except on my bed!). There is some kind of living room in the basement but it's not very inviting and I never saw anyone there even if the hotel was full. If you go to your hotel, you're in your room, period. Don't expect anything else. The bar they mention is not a bar. Barely a counter and if you want a drink, I assume you go get the guy at reception...

I would go back to this hotel, hopefully in a bigger room. The location makes it perfect. If you're not too demanding, you will appreciate this place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank goworldmtl
Reviewed April 1, 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Garden Hotel for 7 nights March 23 to March 30th 2009. When we arrived at the train station in Rome we walked around the area and asked various Hotels their rates and availability. We did not book ahead as we figured we could get a better deal paying cash upon arrival. Keep in mind this is low season. We wanted to stay near the train station in Rome as we had planned some daytrips and wanted to avoid using any taxis to get to/from the train station to get back to the airport. We decided to stay at the Hotel Champagne Garden based on price. It says it is a 4 star hotel - but I would say it should be a 3 star. Nothing wrong with the place at all other than it might be a little dated inside. Breakfast is very simple, but really no issues as the price was right for us. So if anyone is looking for a clean, quiet, excellent location for walking Rome, and in an inexpensive place to stay in Rome, this would be the place.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Champagne Garden for 4 enjoyable nights in early November 2007. We were rather apprehensive before going as there were mixed reviews on the Internet about this hotel but the price and location sold it to us. We did not regret our choice. Contrary to other reviews, we found all the hotel staff polite and helpful including recommending restaurants and trips to do during our stay. The hotel is fairly small but very clean and we thought the room was more than adequate. My partner is a big guy but he was comfortable enough relaxing in the room and enjoying a soak in the bath after a long day strolling through the piazzas. The rooms are traditionally decorated but for us this added to the 'Rome' experience rather than detracted from the size. Breakfast does leave a little to be desired but its continental, what more can I say, its not going to be bacon and eggs and is certainly not USA style. We had a great few days in Rome seeing the sites and with the hotel ideally located near the Termini station but in the nicer quiet side instead of the rough side it was perfect to get out and about. We also thought the restaurants in this area were good value compared to other areas of the city but do visit Piazza Navona too as the cafes there are great, just stop and take in the vibe. Basically, don't just believe all what you read, give this place a go. We would be more than happy to go back should we find ourselves in Rome in the future.

Stayed: November 2007