All reviewsrosa mariesun apartmentpeter's squareyogurteach morningclose to the vaticanaround the cornerb and bthe bus systemtrip to romebus stopprivate bathlocation was perfectsmall elevatortaxi standa stones throwensuite bathroom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We just got back from a very pleasant seven night stay (18-25 May 2013) at Al Colonnato di San Pietro B&B.

This B&B is truly a gem and we are so glad that we chose to stay here. BEST LOCATION in Rome… only 2-3 minutes walk to St Peter’s Square! How near? From the front of the B&B building, walk towards the intersection, cross at the pedestrian crossing, go down the underpass, walk to the other end, and, voila, you’re at the colonnade.

With bus stops, a tabacchi shop (for buying bus tickets), restaurants, gelateria and souvenir shops nearby, also a Carrefour grocery store only 550 meters away, everything is close at hand. We walked to St Peter’s Square, to the Vatican Museums, to Castel Sant’Angelo and even to Gianicolo. We rode Bus 571 to the Colosseo, Bus 916 to Piazza del Campidoglio and even the notorious Bus 64 to Roma Termini.

We stayed in the GREEN room with the ensuite. As there were three of us, we were provided two beds: one Queen and one Single. We found the pillows on the beds quite firm, noticed the softer ones inside the cabinet, so we swapped them :). The bathroom was modern and very clean, the towels always freshly laundered and folded. It was always a delight to come “home” to the comfort of the B&B after a tiring day of sightseeing, with the beds all made up, and everything cleaned and tidied up. Meldy’s housekeeping is superb! And did I mention there is free wi-fi?

Our host, Rosa Maria, is very efficient, welcoming and knowledgeable. She always made sure that everything was to our liking. She is a veritable fountain of information on practically anything your tourist mind can think of.

I emailed Rosa several times prior to our trip and she responded promptly each time. I told her of our plan to make a day trip from Rome to Florence and she recommended that I buy the Trenitalia tickets online while still in Canada and even gave me the link as well as the Italian names of the train stations [Roma Termini for Rome, Firenze S.M. Novella for Florence] to make it easier for me. Likewise, from our email exchanges, I found out there is a plug adapter at the B&B that can be used for our laptop and camera charger so we need not bring a travel adapter.

From FCO, I originally wanted to ride the trains, get off at San Pietro station then walk to the B&B but later decided to accept Rosa’s offer for taxi pick up service at the airport, fixed price 45 euro. The driver was waiting for us at the “meeting point” (big burnt-orange colored column at FCO) holding a poster with our surname on it. After getting little sleep on the plane (8hr direct flight), I realized it was a good decision to arrange for pick up service.

Rosa welcomed us outside the B&B building and immediately began orienting us with the surrounding area, pointing out the tabacchi shop, the bus stops, the pedestrian underpass... helping us with our luggage… familiarizing us with the keys and showing us how to unlock/lock doors [B&B door lock has a specific turn count]… Inside we were offered drinks and given maps and more instructions and asked about breakfast preferences (from their menu) as well as preferred time.

Her assistant, Meldy, is very friendly, accommodating and always cheerful. Our 10-year old is very outgoing and he would invade her kitchen whenever Meldy was there to bombard her with questions and stories and requests and she was very patient with him :).

Breakfast was huge: hot capucchino/chocolate, warm croissants/buns, cold fruit juice, fresh cut fruits, yogurts, mini cakes, biscotti, wafers, jams, soft cheese, butter… yum! We were not able to finish everything each time so we would put the fruits and yogurts in the fridge for later. Earlier in our stay we had breakfast served before or around 8AM, but later on we arranged for a later time. That way we were able to go out very early, around 6:30AM, to beat the crowds at the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona, and just came back to eat breakfast afterwards.

Overall, we had an awesome stay at Al Colonnato di San Pietro B&B and, given the chance to come back to Rome, we will definitely want to stay here again. This was our first time staying at a B&B and this will set the standard by which we will rate the others. Thanks for making us feel at home, Rosa and Meldy!

Room Tip: Green room with ensuite is the biggest room and can accommodate 2-3 people.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank baroom
colonnato, Proprietario at Al Colonnato di San Pietro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Guests,
Thank you for staying at Al Colonnato di San Pietro and for sparing your valuable time to post your review of us on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our position, rooms and breakfast.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back in future.
All the best,

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was a our last stop in europe. the stay was wondering. the highlight ofcourse was Rosa. Very caring and helpful person, this B&B is a nice place to stay. We asked for a pickup service and the driver was right inside roma termini waiting for us next to train engine with placards. check in bit elaborate but smooth and Rosa was there to handover the keys. the place has a lift but bit small. ours was red room which had a private bathroom outside. the service of Meldy is worth mentioning. The duo took good care of us.

Personalization of breakfast is good. Rosa took interest in asking us if we like cappuccino or italian coffee. the breakfast spread was amazing.

the place is very easy to find. take 64 bus and get down at stop once you come out of tunnel. or take a official rome taxi and it would cost just 13-15 euros. or check with Rosa for pick up as well.

Rosa gave us a phone to use which is highly appreciated. She also presented us with Champagne bottle which was a nice gesture. she is very knowledgeable.

The place is very safe. we returned home everyday after 11.30 pm and i always found couples walking after night visit of st peters basilica. San pietra station is a 10 minute walk from where you can take a train to trastevere station. from trastevere , you can take a local train (not leanordo express) to airport (8 euros per person).

Room had mini fridge, drier, A/C etc. The area is filled with restaurants. there is a indian restaurant- Kohinoor and a chinese restaurant next to it. We loved both of them. Several pizza's shops beside the hotels. 64 bus stop to city (piazza venezia) is right outside the B&B from where you can walk to Colosseum or roman forum (15 minutes of walk). we bought Roma pass for Euro 30 based on Rosa's advice and it turned out to be great buy. roma pass includes 3 days of unlimited bus and city trains and 2 entries to museum's is free. We used it for colosseum and roman forum. Colosseum was good but we did not like roman forum (our personal feeling).

Pros: Good location, right priced, helpful host, great breakfast
Cons: Could not think of any.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
colonnato, Proprietario at Al Colonnato di San Pietro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here, as well as our services.
I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I have recently come back from Italy and had a great stay for five nights in this B&B. Here's what we thought:

Service: One of the main reasons you should stay here is Rosa Maria herself! She gave us a very warm welcome and made us feel comfortable - gave us some great suggestions (including a beautiful walk to Trastevere). It helped that we had booked a airport pick up from her, given that we were arriving after a long international flight and had large luggages. In case you need anything, all you need to do is ask - either Rosa or Meldi (Rosa's assistant)!

Location: The B&B is located a stone's throw away from St. Peter's Square and there were some convenient eating joints in the area (including a good Chinese place). There is a bus stop close to the B&B to take you to different parts of the city.

Room: We had the ensuite blu room - slightly small but cosy and very very clean. Everything would be squeaky clean each day, including towels, toiletries, etc. The shower is excellent. The breakfast has a good spread (fruit salad, croissant, etc - no warm breakfast though like everywhere in Italy) and Meldi used to bring this bang on (pre-decided) time.

On the last day, Rosa even had a present for us - a bottle of champagne! Thank you Rosa -you made our stay in Rome a memorable experience!!

Indrani

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
colonnato, Proprietario at Al Colonnato di San Pietro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Indrani,
Thank you for taking the time to send some valuable comments about your recent stay at Al Colonnato di San Pietro.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our cleanliness and hospitality and, even though you wrote a great feedback, I am sorry to see that the final rating you gave us doesn't fully coincide with your description.

I am also glad that you appreciated the bottle of sparkling wine that we offer to our guests only on some specific occasions.

It has been a pleasure to have you as our guests and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed in this BB for 4 nights during 6-9 April 2013. Stayed in the room with bathroom. I chose this place by using the comments in Tripadvisor and when I sew review, I just wondered how could the recommend only “Excellent” and “Very good”. So I was not hesitated to book.

When contacted with Rosa, the owner of this BB. She is fantastic. Her reply is professional and gave us every detail we are looking for. She offered taxi service from airport and it was great with the acceptable price. When we reached the BB. She was there and gave a lot of detail about the place, how to get in, get out which is great for us.

Room: Super clean and comfortable. Safe box is provided. Hot water works well.

Location: If you would like to see St. Peter’s Square everyday like us. This is just the terrific location. Just a few minute walk from BB. (I passed this place at least twice a day during my stay.)

Service: Supreme!! Rosa and her housekeeper, Mandy always help you. During my stay Rosa was not around every day but Mandy is there for preparing our breakfast. She gave us a helpful detail especially about the bus to go to Borghese Gallery. On our last day, we left very early. The breakfast was well-prepared since the night before including coffee which still hot! (cappuccino in this BB is the best of our trip in Italy!)

In total, I will be back for sure if I am in Rome. Thank you Rosa and Mandy for such a great service and make us feel safe and warm! : )

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
colonnato, Proprietario at Al Colonnato di San Pietro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out your precious time to write a review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our rooms and services as well as our location near the Vatican.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you again in Rome.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We selected Al Colonnato after reading the positive reviews because we did not want to stay in some anonymous hotel in the centre. As others have said, we realised very quickly what a great service Rosa Maria the owner provides with good advice from the moment we made an inquiry.
We stayed in the Moon Space apartment which is bright and roomy. It has a lovely bathroom, and efficient kitchen area, with air conditioning and double glazing. Although it is not bed and breakfast service, Rosa Maria provided cereal, breads, jams and a refrigerator filled with milk, water, butter, juices, as well as a huge bowl of fruit. The building has a concierge and feels extremely safe.
Rosa Maria provided a personal mobile phone in case we needed to reach her or ask for advice. She gave us great advice about travel and how to use the Roma pass and buses to all the different areas and even managed to get us tickets reserved for the Borghese Gallery as well as suggesting good walks, restaurants and cafes in the area.
I agree that it is not in the very centre of the city but that was a positive point for us. The area is not full of tourists and the restaurants and cafes are full of local people. It is felt safe to walk around in the evening and seeing the colonnades of St Pietro early in the morning or lit up at night was amazing. Rosa Maria provided details of the bus services which we had never used before, but they stop close to the apartment to go into the centre of the city and tickets and the 3 day Roma pass are available from the local tobacconist.
We had a great 5 days and recommend the pick up service Rosa Maria can arrange. We used the train to get into the city from the airport which was simple following Rosa Maria's instructions, but were delayed by the connection at Trastevere. So going home we used the pick up service to the airport which was efficient and air conditioned on a very hot day.
We had been to Rome before but this time we had a lovely apartment and a host who wanted to share the wonderful city with us which just made our holiday.

1  Thank moatpeople
colonnato, Proprietario at Al Colonnato di San Pietro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay in our property. We are always ready to hear reviews from our previous customers in order to improve our service quality and to satisfy our guests needs.
As you said, our location just footsteps from the Vatican is very safe and the view of the colonnades of St Pietro is amazing.
I will be delighted to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,