“Absolutely warmly recommended !!!!!!”

and 1 more site!
Il Covo Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #866 of 3,621 Rome B&B and Inns
Gruitrode
“Absolutely warmly recommended !!!!!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We wanted to make a city-trip to Rome with something of a special caracter, not like most tourists do and book a hotel-reservation in one of the big hotels so we booked a stay in
"Il Covo" bed and breakfast.On arrival we had to check-in in Hotel Antica Locanda , a few meters up the street.We were welcomed in the most friendly way, and the lady escorted us
to our room further up the street.The room was spotless, and nicely decorated, we were charmed by the special italian caracter of the room.The beds were very good, everything
we needed was available, and we were told to have breakfast nearby in" La bottega del café"
a few meters on the opposite of the street and it was wonderfull, breakfast was italian, so don't
expect too much of it but everything was fresh and we could still eat outside in November on a little Piazza with a fountain, so who could ask for more ? We thought to be in seventh heaven !
For dinner we went to "Gli Angoletti"( the angels ) nearby, and you absolutely have to try the Tagliata of Angus beef with leek and Gorgonzola cheese(indeed angels pee in your mouth).
Reception was very friendly and made sure to provide us with any information we might need, and arranged a taxi back to the airport on the day of our leave.
So overall a very good experience and certainly one we are going to do again in the next months to come.Absolutely warmly recommended!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnneMarieH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Great centralized location, just a short walk away from the Colisseum and subway stations. Nice, typical Italian breakfast. The room was small but it was quaint and it was clean. The only bad thing was that the air conditioning sucked! The staff were helpful as well. Overall would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Perfect for a little drink with some delicious salatines or a casual dinner. Very relaxed and very Italian. Just lovely.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
La Paz, Bolivia
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Avoid Il Covo, it’s a scam, an arrangement between Il Covo, Antica and Il Griffo, who have small rooms in nearby buildings, with bad or non-existent services. Internet doesn’t work (only at the reception), there are no telephone extensions in the rooms, the air condition doesn’t work and I had a shower that didn’t reach the height of my shoulders. These are very expensive hotels for what they offer. The neighborhood is nice, but the rooms are overpriced. Rome is a beautiful city, but there seems to be no regulation at all for hotels of this category.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Gumucio

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 30, 2011

clean place, perfect location in the historic center of Rome.
Can recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I was recommended this b&b by a tour guide. I called, they seemed nice enough on the phone. When we got there we got a different story. Covo means lair in Italian and this place really turned out to be the lair of rudeness, impatience and awful attitude.
The saving grace of this B&B is that it is centrally located in a neighbourhood called I Monti right behind the Colisseum in Rome.
We got to the B&B reception which is in a building that is separate from where the actual rooms are. The rooms are dispersed throughout the neighbourhood. Right away there was attitude the lady on the phone had told me that she'd try to give us a mini apartment and not a room as there were 4 of us. If not she said she'd give us a break on the cost. So mini flat 190 euros, room 180. Right from the get go this other lady, 2 of them actually tell me no, it's a room and no it's still 190. Also a 10 euro fee for using a credit card, which I refused to pay. And a tax for 16 euros that the city of Rome imposes. Anyhow they are all weird about the money are you going to pay now? Give us a down payment...all iffy and dodgy. No clear guidelines. So I tell them no that's ok I'll prepay. So they charge my credit card. Then we walk over to the room, to be honest it was clean, lots of towels. A small but well laid out bathroom. All ok right? I had asked for a chair, 1 single solitary chair and a space to write on. This was a problem, a chair. "well I don' t know , why must you have a chair ? No one has ever asked this before.." bla bla bla the usual Italian nonsense. I told the lady nicely, please provide me with a chair. So we got a chair and there was an escritoire of sorts.
Then they had told us there was wireless service in the lobby, which is open until 1:00 am. I went at 11:00 pm, no wireless, no password, no info and surly rude employees who said mean things. These people also own a hotel Hotel Antica Locanda. Earlier at the bizarro checkin they told me I could go there too. I needed to do my airline check-in. The discount aireline I fly has a mandatory electronic check-in rule or you pay 42 euros. This is close to $65 the point being though that I don't have to justify myself for wanting or needing internet. They said it was available and now it wasn't.
I walk up to the hotel, the front desk area is locked. The attendant won't open the door. I insist, he lets me in and then starts throwing some gibberish at me about no internet, the satellite...whatever. I ask for the manager to be called. A man walks in the front desk dude tells me it's the owner's husband "a very important person" I say well I am a "paying guest" another important person in this equation. The man is rude and dismissive, tells me off. I won't bore you with the details. But these people are charging close to $300 a night. No service, no information, and no to every request. I even got no receipt which is illegal here in Italy. Oh well, no more il Covo I tell you. No more ;(

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Ghent
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I chose this bed and breakfast because the location and the price, which both are excellent. We stayed not in the main building, but in a room of an appartment a few streets away. It was located on the 3rd floor and there is no elevator, but for us that was not a problem.

The room was small but not too small and had a nice bathroom. Our tv didn't work and we could hear the bathroomnoises from the neighbours so loud that it kept us from our sleep. Also very noisy were the streetnoises; allthough we were on the 3rdfloor it sounded like the people were shouting in your ear and there was noise all night long.

The good part was that all the good restaurants and bars were only a few minutes away and you don't have to walk far for great food and coffee. Breakfast is served in a bar a few streets away and was really fresh and tasty, allthough the same every day.

Our room was very clean, people were friendly and if you don't need much luxury this is a great place to stay. We never even needed public transport; Colloseum and Forum Romanum are right behind the corner, all the other sights are within walking distance and we even walked here from the Termini Station where you can catch a direct train to the airport.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple