“Authentic Roman Fare”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Not only were the owners friendly an accommodating, the food was amazing. The wine list featured Italian wines from every region of the country. It may not be the easiest place to find but once you are there, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank NNJTraveler201

A Mytable.it diner
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Mytable.it
1  Thank A Mytable.it diner
Reviewed December 29, 2013

It might be a little difficult to find this place, but you won't be sorry you made the trek from the city center! The managers (a husband and wife team) of the restaurant were very welcoming and friendly and the food was fantastic! I would say it is one of the top places I have eaten at, probably THE best price performer and a great experience overall. We started with the "crostini" antipasti, which are small slices of toast with different toppings on them: eggplant with smoked scamorza, liver, hommos, truffle with artichoke, etc. Then we had home-made pasta dishes which were truly great. The carbonara with wide pasta noodles was excellent, the egg and pepper stood out against the pancetta, while the pasta viola had thin spaghettini cooked in red onion and red wine with small pieces of meat as well. We split a plate of calve's liver with onions, which was perfectly cooked, and ordered two side dishes, one chicory fried with garlic (the garlic is heavy so if you don't like garlic you can order it without, but we enjoyed it immensely) and grilled vegetables with home-made olive oil from Viterbo made by the grandfather of the manager's family. The house wine, Miooo, is local (from Lazio) and an excellent complement to the food. Plus they threw in an aperitivo wine (a kind of lambrusco) and a dessert drink (a kind of calvados). We also had the tiramisu for dessert. Meanwhile, in the background they had jazz vocal standards playing (e.g., Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong) and the place is very tastefully decorated. Overall, I would say this is an excellent find! I would love to come back and try their grill-it-yourself steak dish. Buon appetito!!

3  Thank ctinct
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We managed to find this out of the way place on a rainy Sunday night based on Trip Advisor recommendations. A sign above the door would help! We were the only guests to start with, but the couple who run the place were very sweet and could not have been more helpful. The food, is authentic and home made - we had a pasta dish each and my husband had the liver. I had some grilled vegetables. The truffle seasoning on the pasta was delicious. The local red wine was excellent and very inexpensive. They were kind enough to only charge us for three glasses.
This is a good value restaurant with good Roman cooking. My only gripe is that there is little choice for someone who does not eat a lot of carbohydrates, like me, and finds plain meat dishes a little boring. This is a problem with Rome in general I found. Not a lot of lighter choices, or anything that would particularly excite me.
Also I don't need an English menu, nor do I need "Italian" or "Roman" food explained to me in great detail. This happened at both restaurants we went to. We have been visiting Italy for many, many years and are foodies who make our own pasta at home. That said, the hosts were lovely and well meaning and very enthusiastic about their food.
A nice authentic choice.

4  Thank cityjaneLondon
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My cousin found this restaurant through trip adivsor and booked it for my wife, myself, his wife and himself. When we looked at the location everyone expressed their dismay based on the location of the restaurant. It is probably a good mile or two from the metro, you have to cross a bridge and to add to it you walk up a dark winding road to the middle of nowhere.... The best part is that at the end of nowhere is this amazing food and hospitality.

This family run restaurant made you feel at home. From us sitting down and being pour a free glass of wine to having the menu explained to us in English, it was an experience i'll never forget. The food was homemade from the noodles to the veggies being picked out of their own garden. They had countless bottles of wine all local that made the meal that much better.

I could go on and on about this meal, but i want you to experience it. However, i will add this one last caveat to the whole thing. We asked the owners how to get back to Roma Termini and they gave us multiple directions and all the different buses to take, but what made it unique was that the wife was going to have her brother drive us to the bus station so we didn't have to walk. That kind gesture was just the icing on the cake for this awesome experience up a dark winding road that lead to some of the best pasta we had in all of Italy.

5  Thank Joe B