“I died and went to Italian bakery heaven at La Stelletta”

Antico Forno la Stelletta
Ranked #105 of 292 Bakeries in Rome
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
San Francisco, California
“I died and went to Italian bakery heaven at La Stelletta”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Right outside our apartment door was the Via della Scrofa, and about a block away I could see a long vertical sign that said ANTICO FORNO which means one thing - baked goods!

We headed straight there to find the tiny but jam packed Antico Forno la Stelletta. Now I love me some baked goods, and this place was my Italian version of heaven. As I madly ordered their toasted hazelnut Brutti ma Buoni (trans. Ugly but Good), almond meringues, and slices of the long Roman pizza, sold by the "etto" unit of measure, my husband knew this was trouble.

You order at then counter then turn around and hand your tab to the cashier at the desk behind you, who you pay as quickly as possible before busting into your bag. I asked the cashier how late they were open (thinking bakeries only stay open until maybe 4 pm?) and she sighed in a weary resignation, "We are open always." I thought she was being sarcastic. But fast-forward to the 5 am airport pick up by our driver Adriano... as I glanced one last time down della Scrofia, the only light I saw was the interior of La Stelletta, shining bright as the little Brutti ma Buoni called my name. She wasn't kidding, they ARE open always.

I'll be back for sure, La Stelletta!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank VousAllez

• Greek first
Frisco, Texas
“Went there every morning for pastries”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This lovely little place had the best pastries, cookies, etc! It was on the same street as our apartment, so we were there every morning for take out pastries. The only problem was they didn't do coffee. Other that that, it was perfect!

Visited June 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Amazing cookies and desserts”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This place is so delicious. The desserts are not only pretty to look at but they are very tasty. Loved the little tea cookies. Can't wait to go back tomorrow. The people who work here are so nice. We were admiring everything & they gave us a taste of the pistachio cookie.

• Visited June 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Mmmm... the fruit tart!! ”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

On our way back to the apartment where we were staying, we stopped by to get a few slices of pizza bianco with broccoli and sausage, mushroom pizza and ..... a pizza topped generously with sweet tomatoes, thick slices of yummy fresh mozzarella and basil. We could not resist adding almond and pistachio chewy pastries (yes, I cannot remember what they are called in Italian, but the pictures of these pastries are on the webpage).

Just before I headed to the checkout counter, glistening fruit tarts piled high with fresh fruit caught my eye. A sucker for (any) baked goods with fruits, I promptly added the fruit tart to our purchase.

No regrets - the fruit tart was superb!

Pizzas were ok; the pizza bianco was the clear favourite. The nutty chewy pastries - sugar overload!!!!!!!!!! Don't think it would hurt to be less generous on the zucchero, guys.

Cleveland,Ohio
“Friendly and excellent pastries”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I visited on a Monday afternoon and were rewarded with friendly service and many samples to treat our taste buds.... we ended up with many lactose free products and half a Columbo cake which is an Easter cake with a orange flavor that tastes wonderful. The Pistachio Cookies are also Wonderful........Visit soon!!

• Visited April 2014