“Cibele is our 1st B&B stay ever and we'd gladly stay again!”

Cibele Bed&Breakfast
Ranked #115 of 3,644 Rome B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Cibele is our 1st B&B stay ever and we'd gladly stay again!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

First, I'd like to apologize to Giuseppe for taking 2 months to write our review. He and his parents were so gracious and helpful. We're kind of solo explorers and like to see where the day and adventures take us so we were concerned about how we'd feel being in 'shared' spaces.

Giuseppe was on a well deserved and needed weekend break but he was sure to be there when we arrived as well as the day we left. His parents, who speak almost zero English, filled in to help him - and his guests - out. They were lovely, helpful and passionate about Italy.

The B&B was super clean, the coffee each morning was Fantastic and make-it-yourself in a machine sort of like a Keurig but better. They had fresh yogurt, light pre-packaged meats, fruits, muffins and breads each morning. If you have an issue climbing stairs then please note that there are 4 flights of stairs. It was great exercise but if you are adverse to going up and down a lot...you might want to re-think things a bit.

The locks on the doors were crazy. We finally figured out which way, how how many turns, to go on our last day. One night I swear it sounded like we were trying to break in based on our lock turning inability.

My husband, Shawn and I, explored a very large part of Rome in just 4 days. I will say that we felt as though the street Cibele is on is really hip and we'd absolutely stay there again. There is this hang out area that all the younger people go to near a fountain around the corner. Each night there are tons of empty beer and wine bottles all around it and by morning they are all gone. It's a great spot to people watch.

While we LOVED the food in Rome our very favorite food (if you call it that) was about 10 fee from the door of our B&B. It's Gelateria dell'Angeletto. A little Gelato shop run by the owner who hand crafts the gelato. It's been 2 months and I still can't get his Pistachio Gelato out of my mind. We've purchased every kind of Pistachio in the big and small stores here in Washington State but nothing, and I mean Nothing, compares. Giuseppe recommended this shop to us and we ate there 3 times. YUM!

The area felt very safe, the buildings were old and beautiful and the people were fun and pretty friendly. No worrying about speaking English in Rome...unless you go into a purse shop - good luck trying to explain that your Mom (in this case I was calling her Mama) wanted Snake or Alligator bags - not ones with fringe or any other style. It was pretty funny though trying to communicate her desires.

The price was great for the quality of the B&B, morning breakfast options, private shower and bathroom. We had the "Air" room (the one with the orange) and it was really nice. There's a balcony to sit on, the blinds shut to make the room light free (which came in handy when we wanted to take a nap midday one day) and they are eco-friendly which we loved.

The ONLY complaint is the bed. It was hard to cuddle. The bed feels as though there are two twins put together so the center rides up a bit and cuddling is a bit uphill and not super comfortable.

There is a housekeeper who comes in to clean each day around 11am. This street has a ton of restaurants all varying in pricing and quality. The shops were interesting and this appears to be an artistic type of area.

We were only a 5 minute walk from the Colosseum which was super convenient and also easy to find on our nightly walks back. We only took a cab from Termini Station to Cibele and then to the airport upon our departure. We walked everywhere. Wait...I just remembered that we did take a taxi from Vatican city back to Cibele because that was a super long walk and that's the day we wanted to take that midday nap.

Again, thank you to Giuseppe and his parents for a lovely stay. We'd happily come back and try another of your rooms and even bring our kids for a stay. We highly recommend staying at Cibele!!!

Room Tip: See review... We had the Air room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
gidima79, Owner at Cibele Bed&Breakfast, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Your detailed review is amazing!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
I am so glad that your first experience was here...but I am so sorry about the bed experience: I perfectly understand your point of view, since I am cuddler too :)
The problem is that to use two separate beds was the only way to ensure also a twin bed use of the room.

It seems I have to dedicate one room to cuddlers :)

Giuseppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Benbrook, TX
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Cibele B&B in an old part of Rome, delivered what it boasted and then some. My wife and I booked the Water Room at Cibele for 7 nights in mid-May 2014. (So sorry for being so late with my review.) We arrived by prearranged transport (Guiseppe arranged the transport from the cruise port at Vittechetia to Rome.) Guiseppe is the young proprietor of the B&B and considers himself to be semi-responsible for his clients happy stay in Rome. He takes it very seriously - with GREAT result. His facility is extremely up-to-date, completely and expertly renovated to the finest quality standards - and Western style space in his three-room jewel. (One room is actually very small - for a single traveler possibly.)

Guiseppe will spend as much time as you want when you check in explaining Cibele, but, more importantly, giving you some of the best and most complete Rome touring advice that is possible. LISTEN TO HIM AS LONG AS YOU CAN - ASK QUESTIONS - he loves it and he is very, very good. That long discussion that we had with him paid off many times through our week visit.

The location of Cibele is OUTSTANDING!! Near the Colosseum - more areas to walk to/around than you will ever be able to do. Location just doesn't get any better. His new double windows closed out virtually all the noise, any time of the day or night. If you have mobility issues, you need to be aware of the 46 steps to get up to the second floor Cibele. There is no lift. If you can't do steps, then, unfortunately Cibele may not be the right spot for you.

In order to get this review finally sent in, I am going to be brief about the facility, but I will try to attach several photos. The bathroom is magnificently updated. For us older, plusher travelers who travel very heavy instead of light, there was a little trouble finding enough counter space in the bathroom for all of our "stuff". That was much more a "stuff" thing than a space problem.

All of the furniture, including the bed, was very sturdy, attractive, clean - impeccable.

The breakfasts were store-bought items entirely, so if a sumptuous, hot served breakfast is important to you, be warned. For us, what he had there more than satisfied our need. We do like to have some protein in the morning, which took the form of cheese and lunch-style meat. OK for us.

There is so much I could say (such as to be SURE to go across the street to the gelateria for the best gelato), but I am determined to finally get this review sent in, so, in short, I will say - don't be scared about a B&B, and if you can get it - give Cibele a try. It was one of the best surprises of our trip.

(I was not able to get all of the photos labeled correctly - there is a photo of the outside street door, the hallway to the stairs, and then the inside Cibele door. The rest is obvious.)

Room Tip: Choose either the Water or the Earth room. The third one is small and best for single travelers.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Your description of Cibele, its location and services is unbelievably beautiful...and the fact that you underlined so prominently that I try and put all of my efforts in order to give you a good and informed experience of Rome is the best compliment I could receive!!!!

I have no words if not: THANK YOU...from the bottom of my heart!

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We felt right at home from the moment we arrived at Cibele. Giuseppe took the time to introduce us to the neighbourhood and orient us within the city. Every morning, we would discuss itineraries and he'd give us tips and lots of info about what to look for. Since we only had a few days in Rome we had to make the most of it. Giuseppe's advice proved very helpful.
I cannot overstate the fantastic location of this B&B. It is very close to the Colosseum and many Roman archeological sites and with a metro station nearby it is really easy to get anywhere in Rome. The neighbourhood is also very charming and has lots of excellent restaurants (ask Giuseppe for suggestions).
We would not hesitate to recommend Cibele and look forward to staying there again next time we visit Rome.
Thanks again Giuseppe.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean-François L
I am really glad your experience in Rome was pleasant and that you felt almost like being guest in to a friend's house!

I really appreciate your kind words and I hope I will have occasion in the future of meeting you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014

First time ever writing an online review- however it is well merited in this case.

Cannot recommend this location enough. The actual hotel itself was great - central location, clean and well kept, artsy neighborhood, affordable pricing. However the key element was the host, Guiseppe, and his guidance in discovering the hidden nuances and beauties of Rome. Immediately upon arrival, he outlined which often-overlooked sights to visit, which bars / restaurants were best, and helped arrange reservations as needed. He was charming, polite, and extremely helpful.

This hotel helped define our Rome experience - I wouldn't recommend any other place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
gidima79, Owner at Cibele Bed&Breakfast, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear John,

I have no words if not: THANK YOU...from the bottom of my heart!

Stafford
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This B & B really ticks all the boxes. I had seen all the great reviews which can lead to raising your expectations too high. In reality it would be really difficult to fault. It's remarkably close to the Colosseum and Metro station. Situated in an attractive, safe area of Rome. Guiseppe is a very friendly host, sharing his benefits of local knowledge especially recommendations of things off the tourist track.The rooms were immaculately clean and furnished to a high level, would definately return. We loved Rome. Guiseppe helped make sure we got the optimum out of our 2 nights with him. Grazie

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I am really flattered...especially considering that this comes from expert travelers and collegues!!!
Thank you very much, this is wonderful and I really appreciate it!

It has been a great pleasure and honor knowing you and enjoying your pleasant company...I hope I will have this pleasure again in the future!

Take Care,
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The accommodation is very good, but it is Giuseppe's service that makes Cibele excellent.

Location is great. It is a very short walk to the Cavour subway station (100m) and an easy 10 min walk to Termini Station. The Colosseum, Forums and archaeological / historical Rome is a 5 min walk away. Its about 20 min walk to Trevi and the Pantheon.

Rooms were very good. We were in standard room, which had a balcony but no view. The room was quiet and had a good bed, nice white linen, good shower and plenty of space. Free and fast Wifi. Breakfast was self service / continental - great coffee! We paid EUR 110 in May 2014.

Giuseppe gave us a printed map - advised us about the citymaps2go app (brilliant), marked points of interest - normal sights, off the beaten track suggestions and good photo opportunities. He also gave us some excellent restaurant recommendations which were local favourites and not tourist traps. His advice about pre-booking tickets (the night before) to the Vatican saved us about 2 hours in a queue :)

He emailed transport information, with costs and travel times, before our arrival which was very useful information. He arranged a transfer to collect us from the airport, which cost EUR 50.

We tossed a coin at Trevi so will return to Rome, would definitely book at Cibele again and recommend to others!

Room Tip: Stayed in the standard room which was perfectly adequate.
1 Thank Richard S
Guys...what to say...

I have been amazing, your company a delight: it was like spending a pleasant time with friends!

Thank you very much for the time dedicate and the splendid words you used to write this amazing review, I really appreciate it!

I hope I will see you again soon, in the meanwhile I wish you all the best...
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I cannot speak highly enough of this place. A beautifully clean apartment, in a superb location in the middle of the Monti neighbourhood of Rome - within easy walking distance to the colusseum, the forums etc , while being in a great area with Loads of restaurants / bars that isn't yet completely tourist-ified.

Giuseppe himself is a wonderful host, and his passion and excitement for Rome is infectious. Breakfast is self-serve (bread, cheese, deli meats, cereal, yoghurt, cakes, juice and coffee) and Giuseppe is there from about 8.15-30am ish to offer advice and tips for things to see and do. He gives you a map, and points out how to get around and some tips for how not to get (a) robbed and (b) run over in Rome. He is fluent in English, even articulately explaining how the neighbourhood was recently gentrified but not yet spoiled - completely accurate!!

The Monti neighbourhood is so lovely and busy, I had no worries at all wondering around as a single female, and felt completely safe, including at night. Loads of restaurants and bars, and a few mini markets and bancomats. There is also a cheap laundry nearby if you need to do washing. The two sets of double glazed widows keep the sounds of the street out, and the air conditioning ensures you have a perfect sleep. The shower is also fantastic.

Again, I cannot speak highly enough of this place. It is also opposite the best gelato shop in Italy, Gelateria dell' angeletto.

I will definitely stay here next time I am in Rome. Thanks again Giuseppe, I am so glad that you decided to open this place!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank kathdot
Dear Katherine,

I do not know where to start in order to properly thank you...
Thank you for having chosen Cibele Bed&Breakfast, for your lovely company, your enthusiasm and big smile, your curiosity...and now these amazing words!!!

It was an immense pleasure to meet you and you made the experience unforgettable...

I hope I will have the chance to come and visit you in Australia soon...

Take Care,