“Winning artichoke ambivalence”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Testaccio
Description: Trattoria Romana
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My companion and I ate here on Thursday last. It must have been near to closing at the end of lunch but the host could not have been more courteous. As we havered over who should have the artichoke starter our host settled our indecision by suggesting we try the two principal Roman methods of cooking artichoke, alla Romana (braised in a delicious herby and lemon sauce) and alla Guidia (fried). This proved a great tip - both were delicious. The equally Roman pasta, cacio e pepe, with Pecorno and black pepper was also good although the spaghetti alla carbonara that my companion chose had been left on the heat just a tad too long and the rather lurid looking egg was beginning to coagulate.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

A solid three stars - nothing to rave about, but nice hearty food and decent value. Fish is a speciality - the table next to us had a wonderful looking salt-crusted seabass.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I ate here yesterday!

I've been to Rome a dozen times (literally! This trip is my 11th or 12th visit!) and I've compiled a (very short) list of restaurants that I love: places that cater to locals vs. tourists, places whose menus are in Italian with no "Tourist Menu" options -- places where you see local families having dinner. I had lunch here yesterday and it was fantastic: it is now the newest addition to my list.

Testaccio is an area that doesn't get a ton of tourist activity, and admittedly I've never spent much time there other than to make the requisite stop at Volpetti for tons of parmeggiano and pecorino cheese to take back home, or the occasional visit to the English Cemetery, also nearby, which is a great photo op place. This trip, I brought my mom along for the ride and we had just left Volpetti (Tratt. Gregory is on the same block - around the corner from Volpetti is the "tavola calda" Volpetti - just walk a few doors down, it's on the other side of the street with a great outdoor dining area) -- we needed lunch. This place looked really cute --- nice design, kind of a modern and clean look on the outside but classic Roman on the inside -- but we were 20 mins early for lunch service. The waiter was great: he let us take our table, order some drinks while they got the kitchen ready... and he let me practice my Italian on him! I love meeting Romans who enjoy giving me some language tips in exchange for my English tips!

We had the carpaccio of artichoke & parmeggiano salad (amazing) and then meatballs in tomato sauce (cliche, I know, but seriously - they were fantastic) and the buccatini amatriciana (for some reason amatriciana has become one of those things by which I judge Roman restaurants... not sure why. But if it's good, the restaurant is good -- and if it tastes plain or lackluster then the restaurant isn't that good) - and their amatriciana was fantastic. The service was great -- very attentive and friendly, they enjoyed being chatty and let me take some pictures (will post those soon) -- it was one of those memorable meals. And confirmation of the wonderfulness of this place came just as we were leaving - it was Saturday lunchtime, and the local families with their kids started to pile in, along with some elderly couples -- the indicator of a true Roman restaurant. Classic Roman fare, done right: this place is on my new list of favorites.

1  Thank GlobusWorldTrav
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've eaten at Gregory a Testaccio twice in my first week in Rome and expect to dine here again many times. Gregory is a warm and hospitable presence, and the food--particulary the seafood--is as fresh as any I have ever had. The menu is full of Roman traditional specialties that beg to be tried, but it is hard to resist the fresh fish laid out to temptingly over ice in the dining room. I have had swordfish Sicilian style and spigola (also called branzino or sea bass) baked in a salt crust. Both were just wonderful, and Gregory had been close by at all times to make sure my companion and I were happy with our meal. I am always pleased when the owner shares a drink with you at the end of the evening and makes your experience personal and pleasurable. This place is the real deal. I highly recommend.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I hadn't been in that particular neighborhood (Testaccio) for far too many years and I was looking for a place I used to frequent as a student in Rome. I eventually gave up looking as I thought it might have simply closed down.
I came across Gregory's and realized i was in the mood for exactly that kind of place. The ambience is typical of a Roman trattoria but not too touristy. The food excellent and the service very friendly and attentive. In the menu I saw many typical Roman dishes I haven't eaten in decades but I couldn'r risk overeating and falling asleep after lunch. I had to settle for a starter and a seafood main course. No wine, alas, but mineral water. I had their excellent homemade tiramisu, though, and enjoyed it to the last spoonful. I spent just over €30, which wasn't exactly cheap but definitely well spent.