“Good Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,710 of 3,732 Rome B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Its a B&B. Good price for a location where hotels are charging $400+/room. Its great if all you're looking for is a place to sleep and get out in the morning. There are no thrills.There was WiFi to use free of charge. Martina, the owner, prepared us coffee,juice, bread, pastries, etc every morning, which was just perfect for our needs. She and her staff were very helpful with any info we needed for our day to day travels. We spent most of our days out site seeing, shopping and dining. The location is right in the center of the high end hotels, shopping and dining all within walking distance. We walked to all the site seeing areas from here and rarely had to use transportation. If you're looking for all the amenities, this is not for you, but if you are in Rome to get out and enjoy what this great city has to offer, Martina's House would suit you right. Good Travels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you very much for have left your review!!! Thank you for have talked about the central location! As you said is very easy to reach every point of interests walking! We are happy to have been of help for your day to day travels! Hope to see you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am going to give the most honest description possible, both pros and cons. This will be long but worth it to read!

First you should know, I am 26, well traveled and have stayed in many different places all over Italy & the world. It was my parents first trip out of the states and I paid for it and surprised them... so I spent a little more $ to try to stay somewhere nicer than if it were just me and a friend my age.

First, let me start by saying that Martina tries to please the customer (i think?). Martina serves breakfast to you (Which I would prefer to get my own because its just super awkward.) My dad couldn't have the coffee b/c he can only have decaf and she went out after our first day and bought decaffeinated coffee, which was very nice because we didn't ask for it or make any type of fuss.
The place is in a safe area, right off Via Veneto. 15 min from Spanish Steps and 20 to Trevi Fountain. Very close to Borghese Gardens/Gallerie. 10-15 minute walk up a slight hill from the Bernini Metro stop. It is closer to another metro entrance, but you have a 10 minute walk in a gross tunnel and the walk on Via Veneto is much nicer.

Okay, the Cons:
First, there was a hair in my bed, but whatever- I wasnt about to complain. But there is NO BODY SOAP! You are provided with a tiny shampoo packet and a pump type hand soap that you'd have in your own home- but i had to go out and spend 12 Euro on 2 bars of soap at the Pharmacy (Farmacia). Thats obscene. The fact that I flew/traveled for 20 hours and many people do the same... all i wanted to do was shower when I got there. She should have at least made it known that I should bring my own soap!

Next, you only get new towels for every 3 days. Which I don't have a problem with because I try to conserve energy, but this is what I do have a problem with: I had a clean towel with a tiny bit of makeup on it and Martina took it out and i only had 1 towel for the next 2 days. Also, I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door when she did this which leads me to my next point.
MARTINA DOES NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE "DO NOT DISTURB" SIGN!! She came in my room when I didn't want her to, took the towel, unplugged my computer (which i needed charged to write a paper for college since i skipped school to come here), she put my sneakers under the bed and when I needed them the following day because it was rainy, i almost missed my train to Florence because I spent 15+ minutes looking for my sneakers bc they weren't where I left them.
ALSO- one day i actually had time to sleep in and she tried to come in while i was still in here with the do not disturb sign on. i know this because i locked the door the night before and was staying in a room alone. i checked the door and it was definitely locked. When i woke up it was unlocked... martina def tried to come in when the "do not disturb" sign was up. This is really inappropriate. What if I were here with a significant other and we didnt want to be disturbed because we were having 'private time'? How awful that she just comes in. Yes, it is her property- but it is MY room that I paid for, I'm not harboring fugitives in here, I just don't want my space being disturbed. She even did it again after my mom requested that she not go in my room that day she understood and said okay but still went in because my bed was made... and the do not disturb sign was up. That is NOT normal... and don't say it's the culture because it's not I've stayed in italy enough to know.

The shower floods because the drain doesn't work and had some moldy looking stuff on the tile... the Keys for the room are like old skeleton keys and difficult to use- although not my first experience with those at a B&B in rome... it was very difficult for my parents to use.
The Guest house is 5 floors up- my parents came home late after I dragged them all around Naples/Napoli all day long and were exhausted, plus my dad is a senior citizen so... as you can imagine he was not happy to find the elevator was broken
My parents were without hot water one morning when taking a shower as well.

The internet is very dysfunctional and since I needed to communicate with school, I used a lot of data on my cell phone plan which was absurd because I paid to have working wi-fi.

The rooms were very cold and you can't control your own temperature... however Martina turned up the heart for the duration of my stay which was nice, but I prefer to have some control over my room temperature. My room was quieter than my parents room (I was in courtyard, they were off via lazio) however if you prefer to sleep in and are a light sleeper... goodluck. on my end of the apartment you hear the banging around as martina cooks breakfast and cleans at 8am, and my parents end the main door is SO LOUD when it opens and closes, it really needs to be oiled to not be so loud.
Also you have to be super quiet for the other guests because sound really travels in this place and even the floors creek.

Overall you really get what you pay for, but i am not sure why the reviews are SO good. I think I paid the equivilent of $800-$900 USD for two bedrooms, for 6 nights. So thats about $70 US dollars per room per night which is a little too much considering the things that went wrong and the location isnt exactly central.

I have to defend the breakfast that Martina has, after some posts I read. There is no such thing has hot eggs and bacon in italy for breakfast... breakfast in italy is... never really a big thing. I wish she had more healthy options, like plain yogurt, however and maybe bananas.
She provides hard boiled eggs- which is great... a cake type thing that is very bland and not very good but has excellent jam to spread on it. she had some flavored sugary yogurts out a few of the days. I think yogurt is a great staple for a place like this. she has little apricots, and coffee. but no cappuccino.

Martina is a very nice woman & she seems to try, but the place could be cleaner (there was a gross dirty cup in my bathroom - she cleaned it and put it back but it shouldn't have been in there all dirty in the first place) and you really get what you pay for. My biggest problem is this place is very over-rated/ talked up more than it should be. I don't believe any reviews have been unbiased. People probably feel uncomfortable talking about the complaints because it is a B&B and not a hotel and you get to know martina if you are up for breakfast from 8-10. On the other hand, some other people on here really went overboard when they said"worst place ever" and things of that nature. It is a decent enough place-but they were probably mis-led about expectations, as I was due to tripadvisor.

I have posted the problems so she can fix them and so others know what it is exactly like. If the price was right I would consider staying again- but probably not due to the distance from Termini/Metros and the fact that I can pay much less for a basic no frills room. And also because after posting the Cons, I doubt Martina would be very happy to see me again. I was very upset because I wanted my family to have a great experience and the way the B&B was my parents just weren't thrilled... But then again- they are probably not B&B people and maybe I should have known better.
Oh, also their bathroom was disgustingly small and had i known, i would have switched with them to try to better their stay a little bit. My bathroom smelled like sewage. It was gross.

AFTER WE LEFT I RECEIVED A RUDE EMAIL FROM SOMEONE WHO WASN'T MARTINA SAYING WE OWED 50 EURO FOR A TAXI. Martina wasn't there our last day some other lady was. My parents asked if they could call the Taxi. Well the taxi pulled up and we took it, and then when I arrived home I found an email from this woman rudely saying I owed her 50 Euro for the taxi because we left without using it. What!? It also stated they would be charging my credit card on file. Excuse me?! I paid my driver... We got in the taxi that pulled up and the driver said "Airport?". That is not how you treat guests. What a scam artist that lady was trying to be.

Like I said, it has its pros & cons... it is in a pretty area, and it isn't outrageously expensive. My room was quiet at night (however if i had noisy people across the hall that would be a different story)... I recommend writing your priorities on a piece of paper before looking for a place to stay and reviews. If it wasn't for the decent price here I wouldnt have been able to afford a trip for all 3 of us... but i think there are better deals especially if a B&B isn't your first choice.
Hope this helps, feel free to message me with any questions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank valgal212
Thank you very much for have left your review!
Thank you for have talked about the very central location, the nice and safe area and about the breakfast that we serve because we think to make this moment relaxing for our guests.
As you said there are eggs, yogurt, cake, bread, butter, jam, coffe, tea, juice, milk.
For breakfast we try to meet the needs of everyone, as was for the decaf coffee for your father, we served gluten-free bread for celiac guests or cheese and fruit for vegetarian guests.
In the bathroom there are the classic single-dose sachets of shampoo, we could provide you other once finished those three.
About the not disturb sing: we came in your room just to check if the window was closed as it was raining, the rain could ruin the stained parquet.
The parquet, as the keys, as the doors, as the windows are original from the beginning of 19century, for this reason they need a little bit of attention but we believe it's worth to preserve the uniqueness of Martina House, as some guests told "like being in an art gallery"!.
The problem of unstable connection has been solved thanks to the intervention of a technician a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunatly the elevator broke the same day of your arrival and we understand is not so easy have to take the stairs, but the day after the elevator has been fixed.
We have a private shuttle service from/to the airport to make the transfer easyly, expecially when you have an early flight because the driver arrive at the front door at the fixed time that you give and he fetchs you directly to the airport. For this reason you asked to book the shuttle service from Martina House to the airport but happened that you haven't taken the shuttle, as i understand you took a normal taxi. When the driver came for you and you were already gone he wanted to be paid anyway because he came to do its service, luckily at the end he flew over the matter.
Thanks for talking about the rates that we apply in the most elegant neighborhood of Rome.
the hague
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had a spacious room and the appartment was situated in a central spot, everything on walking distance which was great, but the service was not so good. Breakfast was rather poor and the personnel left our room open after cleaning, afterwards denying this. we were not so happy with that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie R
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you very much for have mentioned the spacious room and the central location! We are sorry you didn't like the brakfast, we always try to serve sweet and savoury foods so our guests can have a great choise: brad, butter, jam, cake, yogurt, ham, eggs, cheese and tea, coffe, milk, juice to drink. When we clean up the rooms we open windows and doors to air the room but we are always there, no one stranger can come inside!
Costa Mesa, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Martina house for 4 nights in November. The price is the best part of this place. We arrived late in the evening after traveling for many hours. We were looking forward to showering and going to bed. There was no hot water, just cold water and about 50 fahrenheit outside, not ideal for ice cold showers. When we flushed the toilet it would come up in the shower through the drain and vice versa when we used the showering the smell in the bath room was awful (it was there all 4 days) We had no way of contacting anyone from the hotel, no phone,no Internet and no one was there til the morning. The hot water was fixed the next day but the other problems were not. It was disgusting and very unsanitary. One morning we decided to sleep in a little and was woken up but the maid and asked to leave so she could clean now. On the positive side, the girls that work in the morning are very nice, very helpful and very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott M
martinahouse, Proprietario at Martina House, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here at Martina House.
We did not know anything about the problem you experienced with hot water,and the plumbing system. We did not have any problem with hot water!
If we had known it that we could have given you some useful suggestions or we could have done somenthing to make your stay better.
We are sorry anyway for not having fulfilled your expectations.
Farum, Frederiksborg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We love Rome and Martina´s is placed in central Rome. From here you can shop grosseries or walk a short distance to the metro or to all the sights of Rome. The Staff is very nice and the room is okay. After all its not in the room that you spend the time but out in the lovely city. When we are coming back we will definitely keep Martina´s in mind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay! We really appreciate the time that you have dedicated and the nice words you have used for us! Thank you!!! Hope to see you soon!!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Wé stay 4 nights at martina's and everything was great. Room simple but clean , Good breakfast and great location. It is not the most lively area of Rome but everything is within reach.
We book through a booking website so the room was cheaper than rates stated on website.

• Stayed November 2012

1 Thank caribou41
martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your review!!!
We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast, the cleaning and the location!
We thank you again and hope to be at your service for your future trip to Rome!
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Martina is really friendly, nice and helpful ,
the location of the house is great, walking distance to everything, just yards from the Borghese Park.
Our room was very clean and comfortable with parquet floors, handpainted doors, and a beautiful window with shutters.
I would recommend the Martina House to anyone visiting Rome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

martinahouse, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Martina House, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for sharing your impressions with others!
We are very pleased that you enjoyed the decor! The parquet, the doors and windows originals of the 19th century make Martina House unique!
In addition, thanks to the central location, you can discover every corner of Rome very easily!
Hope to see you again!