“Excellent choice and great location”

The Independent Hotel
Ranked #39 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Independent for 6 nights this past August and were very pleased with our stay. The hotel is very close to the train and metro stations, so we were able to visit all of the major attractions (Vatican, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Colloseum) very easily. Our room was large for European standards and the bed was large and very comfortable. There was lots of storage space for our luggage, clothing and toiletries. The bathroom has a tub and shower and was adequate for our needs. The room was also very clean and we had more than enough towels for our use. There is also satellite TV, but we were too tired at the end of the day to watch it! The breakfast was the best we have ever had on our trips to Italy. This was our fourth trip to Rome. The breakfast is served until 10:30 and includes scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit salad and variety of fresh fruits, juice, fresh mozzerella and cold cuts, cereal, pastries, breads and of course cappuchino, coffee and hot chocolate. Breakfast is on the 6th floor and if you are lucky, you can get a seat on the terrace and enjoy a beautiful view of Rome with breakfast. The entire staff is very helpful and friendly. The cleaning staff does an excellent job and the rooms are immaculately clean. The terrace just opened the week we were there. It is on the 8th floor and offers a spectacular view of Rome. There are tables and lounge chairs on the terrace as well. We were informed that a bar will be opening soon as well. After all, this is a brand new hotel and a work in progress. But, we were very pleased with our experience and will definitely stay here again next summer. On our last night in Rome, my husband tripped and unfortunately, had a visit to the emergency room. When we returned to the hotel, the night manager was very helpful. He called a taxi, explained the situation to the driver and helped us to find a pharmacy at 11:00 pm to fill my husband's prescriptions. He also helped with our baggage and ordered a taxi for our return to the airport. The cost is also very reasonable for the services this hotel provides. Most importantly (we were here in August), the air conditioning works very well and the rooms were wonderfully cool when we returned from sightseeing. Restaurants are a little scarce in the immediate area, but a 10 minute walk in the direction of the train station will give you dozens of choices. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay that is close to the train station and wants easy access to all of the tourist attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Independent Hotel for two non-consecutive nights in mid-July 2012. I chose the hotel for its proximity to Rome’s Termini train station and for the fact that the hotel was “4-star”, new and had a great rate (compared to other 4-star hotels I considered or stayed at!)

Other things I wanted in my hotels for this trip was internet access (for me), reliable air conditioning and a (flatscreen) TV in the room (for my husband), as well as an elevator. A good hearty breakfast was also a consideration.

I lived in Europe and have traveled extensively worldwide. My husband is not very well traveled and expects certain hotel features, such as a private bathroom and good shower en suite!

SHORT STORY: Rooms were modern, comfortable, well appointed and spacious. The staff spoke good English, was kind, considerate and helpful. The Independent is a NEW hotel, just a few months old, and they seemed to be having some “growing” or “new construction” pains. We experienced some not-quite-right things--power outage, leaky shower head, etc.

LONG VERSION:
The good: 1) Easy-to-find, great location--near the train station (2 or 3 blocks)—and on a quiet street. Rooms are comfortable, spacious and modern with many comforts of a four star hotel. Our double rooms looked onto a quiet courtyard/backstreet. 2) Breakfast was included and available in very cramped quarters. They do not have a full size kitchen, just what appears to be an electric burner in a closet. Food choice was okay, with some warm food and some outdoor seating with views toward the train station. 3) Free wifi! 4) Staff was friendly and tried to be helpful, but they could not recommend a good trattoria, pizza place or bistro for dinner...they suggested a place on the corner which was a sweet shop with some pre-prepared dishes. 5) Price per night was lower than another hotel we stayed at for more nights that was a bit "tired".

The bad: 1) My husband hated the tiny street level lobby with only two low-to-the-ground armless seats and the claustrophobic elevator. We could barely fit inside the elevator with our 3 suitcases. (These sort of tiny elevators are typical in my European experience and did not bother me so much.) 2) Did not have wash clothes or facial tissue (Kleenex) in the rooms (which my husband uses).

3) After enjoying a relaxing evening of good air conditioning, internet and TV before going to sleep, my husband noticed that the power went out during night. Specifically he noticed it about 4am. Still our 6am wake-up call came on time and I noted when I got up that my laptop showed a green light (meaning it was still charging, the outlet was working). This meant that the power outage was not complete to the room, nor to the building. The elevator worked! A person from the Front Desk staff came as soon as we called and tried to check a few things, but the bottom line was the power was not restored fully to our room prior to our departure at about 7:30am. This meant that the electronic key to the room door lock would not work, so we took all out things out before going to breakfast. Good thing we showered the night before as my husband said he could not put his contacts in his eyes with the dim light entering the room via the window at that hour.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I travelled recently to Rome for Business and took my mum and 3 year old with me. We decided to stay at The Independent Hotel which we chose for the location and also for the fact that it is a brandnew hotel hoping it would be clean, bright and modern. We made an excellent choice, our room was beautifully furnished, clean and spacious for the 3 of us. We loved the Nespresso machine and the pillow menu was awesome. The breakfast was fresh and healthy and did I mention the Roof top terrace for that glass of wine before bedtime?
Of course the elevator is small, but ALL elevators are small in traditional buildings in Rome or anywhere else in Italy. Our AC worked well and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge helped mum with sightseeing tours and she got it below standard prices you find elsewere in the city. So overall a very enjoyable experience and I will certainly return on my next trip.

Room Tip: pay a little bit more and get the larger rooms (Superior or Deluxe)
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Location is very good, close to termini, yet quiet and feels safe.

Rooms are sizable, new, with beautiful shower.

Friendly personnel although check out took us almost half an hour.

Happy with mostly everything, except that we had to buy coffee capsule for the coffee machine in the room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SharonCH
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Different standards for different people, we could not wait to check out. The lobby is smaller than my bathroom, the lift can accommodate 3 people. The AC does not work. The hallways can accommodate barely one person passing at a time.
Location is OK and near the train station and plenty of cheap food joints nearby. The ambiance was shady for our taste. I have asked my travel agent for my money back as it spoilt our experience of Rome. I would asked you to do your diligence.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sk226
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Came by train from Verona and chose this hotel because it was close to the train terminal.
Was surprised how small the reception area was, but was not really a problem. Is probaly worse for the staff :)
The room however was spacious and nicely decorated.

Breakfast was good, but the breakfast room is quite small, so be there early.
A plus is that you can have your breakfast outside.

Wifi was free and only needed a password to get online. No inconvenient timelimited codes etc, which is good.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank andos954
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I say the hotel is kinda cozy and stylish. Photos at a 100% real and reflect the atmoshe. Maybe it would show a bit cramped starting at lobby during to room. They serve breakfast at the 6th floor, it said on site about the garden but we are really forget to use it :)
Minuses are:
- often you could wait for the elevatorfor 5-10 minutes;
- breakfast is the same day by day (we stayed for 4 days);
- there is a line on breakfast as there are only 7-10 tables;
- there are some unfinished things in the room (wires came out from the wall lamp, etc);
- balcony in the room locked.

So these minuses doesn't mean much. The location is very convinient - few steps from Termini (which is important in case you are going somewhere else in Italy). Also no problem to walk till Colloseum. And taxi to Piazza di Spagnia only 6 euros.
I would recommend for nonlong stay for coules. But even with to little kids we doesn't suffer.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family