“Perfect boutique hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #497 of 3,736 Rome B&B and Inns
Broadbeach, Australia
“Perfect boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed two nights in this delightful small hotel prior to a cruise departure. The hotel has only eight rooms located on the first level of a building well located in central Rome. Our room overlooked the busy Via Nazionale but this did not provide any inconvenience. Our previous visits to Rome were for longer durations and we booked apartments, however with a short stay we were looking for a reasonable location, comfort and value. Hotel Consulta delivered on all our requirements. And, the air conditioning is totally reliable - not that we needed it in May, but absolutely essential if you visit in summer.
The hotel does not provide breakfast facilities however there are numerous restaurants in the locality where we took a short walk for both breakfast and dinner.
The room was very spacious and the bed typical Roman - on the firm side, but comfortable. The bathroom was modern with an excellent shower facility. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I chose the hotel because of the location and it turned out to be a great choice. It’s a very small hotel, 7 or 8 rooms in the first floor of a building. You have your own keys to go in and out, but it can be a bit tricky to find when you arrive the first time. It is close to the central train station and walking distance to many attractions in the city. There are also buses and the metro line quite near if you don’t feel like walking. Breakfast is not included, although you can make yourself some coffee in your room and you have a nice bar just a few steps from the hotel. For having dinner you have some good restaurants in the area.
The room was big enough, comfortable and recently renovated. The only small problem might be the lack of drawers, so unpacking it not really possible, but you have space to have your suitcase open. Free wifi was an advantage and it worked fine from my room. My room overlooked Via Nazionale, a very busy road, but neither lights nor noise were an issue for me.
The receptionist was very nice and helpful at all times since the moment I got there. The only downside I have to point is that I had to pay cash, the said to keep the price (which I have to say was very convenient). I did pay and everything was fine, but it wish they had made it clear when I made the reservation. All in all I enjoyed my stay and I recommend the hotel if you are looking for a place to relax and rest after a long day, close to everything you need. It was great value for the price, considering all the advantages and the average room rates in a city like Rome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julia N
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great value in the center of Rome. Very secure, clean, smart hotel. If you are looking for a base to go exploring this is the place for you, its not a pampering hotel. I stayed for 3 nights, free and fast wi-fi, beds made everyday, air conditioning was great because the our room looked out in the the busy Via Nazionale, so we kept the window closed at night. But it was no problem good sound insulation all round.
The staff were great, really helpful. We didn't arrive until midnight and that was no problem.

1 Thank George B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and two daughters for 4 days. The location is perfect for visiting the different sites in Rome. The Colosseum and other nearby attractions is just a 10 to 15 mins. walk from the hotel. Going to Vatican, bus stop for bus #40 is just around the corner. Trevi fountain is also just a 15 min walk from the hotel.
The staff Catalina was very helpful. The room was so clean and made up everyday. Wifi is free and fast. Good restaurants are also aplenty in Via del Serpenti and Via del Buschetto which streets are just 3 minutes walk from the hotel.
It was a great experience and I will surely return to this hotel if I have a chance to visit Rome in the future.

• Stayed May 2013
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Hotel in May 2013 and were very pleased and impressed with the hotel. It is situated in a building on the 1st floor which felt very secure as people couldnt just walk in. We got a very warm welcome by Catalina who supplied us with a map and marked where all the sites were so we felt very welcome.
The location is perfect. We saved money by not having to get public transport anywhere (we did get the Metro to the Vatican but realised it was only a 30-40min walk back!) and were able to pop back during the day to refresh/change clothes for the evening. Everytime we came back we were greeted by a member of staff and couldnt help but sit and chat and exchange language tips!
I would definitely recommend this to people who want a central hotel and are not bothered by having breakfast supplied. We found we didnt need this as there were several places in the area which did 'brioche' or Sweetys cafe even did pancakes (you find a lot of places in the square do American Breakfasts for around 10 euros). A big warm thank you to the hotel and their hospitality. We will definitely recommend to family and friends to stay :)

Room Tip: We stayed in 105 which did not face the road but did get the noise from others (but it is only a sma...
1 Thank Jennifer C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We picked this hotel primarily for it's central location and very reasonable price. We were not disappointed on both counts, but the pleasant bonus was Kattarina, the hotel's receptionist. Though she is the receptionist, I would almost classify her as a hostess. Kattarina was great with restaurant suggestions and advice with itinerary and directions. But most of all, she is great for a simple chat.
As for the hotel itself, the decor looks recently updated and the room, though not large, was comfortable. The hotel orientation means that none of the rooms is fronting a street, though if they were, Via della Consulta is a quiet street off Via della Nazionale.
We got one of the room with a balcony opening up into an internal courtyard, which was not much to look at. This would have been fine in terms of noise level had it not been for an enthusiastically amorous couple next door who obviously forgot to close their balcony room doors.
You could probably avoid this by asking for one of the rooms which doesn't face the courtyard and away from the reception area.
Location-wise, the Colosseum is pretty much just 10 mins walk down the street and piazza Venezia 10 to 15 minutes down via della Nazionale.
I probably can't recommend this place to extremely light sleepers, but I was highly satisfied.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, try and ask for a room furtherest from the reception area and not facing the cou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for six nights. We very much appreciated the location; it is situated within walking distance of so many of Rome's major sites that we felt that we weren't getting a lot of value out of our RomaPass (a good problem!) since we were taking less public transit than we expected we would. (The hotel is a short walk to two bus stops on Via Nazionale.) The staff was great; they were very friendly and they care very much.

I had a little hiccup in booking our room. I contacted the property through their website and we communicated via email. I had a few questions that they answered and I was satisfied enough to book. I asked what I should do to confirm the room (is there a confirmation number? Do I call to confirm 3 days prior? etc.), and they replied that the room was confirmed. Great, I thought. About a week later, I received an email from Katalin asking if we wanted the room after all. What?! We sorted things out from there, and I think she thought I asked if the room's rate was confirmed. It all worked out in the end, and I'm pleased that she was willing to "chase after" me to make sure if I was interested or not. Another peculiarity about the booking is that they do not take a credit card number to hold the room. I was happy about this, due to having had an insecure internet connection when I booked, but I presume that this also added to the confusion about whether I wanted the room (i.e., had I supplied a cc number, there would have been no question).

When we arrived, our driver (more on that later) buzzed in for us, speaking Italian. I was relieved, because my Italian is a little rusty, but we later saw that everyone we spoke to at the desk spoke good English and it probably wouldn't have been an issue. The hotel is on the first floor; for the Americans, that is what we would call the second floor. There are two long staircases up (but the steps are not very steep) and there is a little elevator to use. (Actually, there are two; we had, apparently, been using the building's elevator during our stay, but Katalin pointed out to my husband the one closest to the hotel as we checked out.)

Our room was 105; it is not on the "noisy" Via Nazionale side. It faces a courtyard (not picturesque) and we did hear some noise from outside. It sounded like construction, and I certainly don't hold that against the hotel. We kept our windows open (no screens, typical in Italy as far as I can tell) for much of our stay, since the a/c sometimes ran and sometimes didn't. (I never did figure out why that was, and it wasn't a big enough problem to ask the staff about it. We stayed in mid-April, so I assumed the occasional a/c was a result of the "shoulder season" stay.) The noise was more of an issue in the morning (starting by 7-7:30am), because we were so beat from touring all day that we fell asleep pretty much right away each night. The beds were lower to the ground and were supported by wooden slats (rather than a box spring). They were comfortable enough for us.

Given our stay of six nights, our biggest issue was having a place to unpack. We lived out of our suitcases, for the most part. There were no drawers in our room, but we were able to hang up the wrinkle-prone clothes on the hangers they provided (six). It wasn't a big deal for us, and since our room had a bit more floor space, we had ample room to store our luggage. I don't wear a lot of make-up, but the couple of times I wanted to put some on, I had a hard time finding enough light to do it properly.

The bathroom was modern. The shower fixture was coming out of the wall, and we mentioned it to the front desk, but they already seemed to know about it. It wasn't repaired before we checked out. It didn't affect my shower, and I assumed that, since they were aware of it, that it was one of their "we're getting to it eventually" issues.

I appreciated that the room's safe was built into the wardrobe fixture (where the hangers hang) instead of just being a locked box. It was small, though; our biggest valuable item was a regular-sized iPad which fit, but just. Be aware if you intend to lock up a full-sized laptop that this is not possible.

I also appreciated that the small refrigerator was completely empty. Since they don't serve breakfast, we shopped for some groceries to keep on hand for the morning and used the fridge to keep them. So many hotels fill the fridge with mini bar items for sale leaving no room to chill anything of your own. I appreciated that this property didn't both try to leave us without breakfast and make it difficult for us to plan out our own.

Upon our booking, they offered to arrange a car to pick us up from the airport. They rate they quoted was 45 Euro; a regular taxi from Fiumicino to Rome (well, to a central area according to Rick Steves' guide, that I assume we were within) is 48 Euro. It was worth it, in my opinion, for them to have arranged the car. From the airport to the hotel, our car was a minivan with ample room for our baggage. We asked for them to arrange the car for our trip to the airport on our way home, but this car was more of a town car-style and we had to put a carry on suitcase on our laps. We found that it was worth the convenience to have them arrange the cars, especially when we found out that the regular transit strike was due for the day of our departure; I was very glad we hadn't decided to take public transit that day, or try to flag down a taxi on our own.

We were concerned, at first, about the few number of reviews here on Tripadvisor. We expect that is due to the hotel not being open for a long time yet. We're glad we took the risk of booking it and found our stay here to be very nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple