“Great food!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kuriya

Kuriya
Ranked #1,177 of 12,044 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Food was great. The Chirashi was great with several kinds of fresh fish. The atmosphere is more Italian than Asian, with Italian wine bottles on the walls & Murano glass chandeliers hanging above.

1 Thank Jessybird85

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
“It's OK !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Location is excellent, is in the centre of Rome, in the main street, not far from the bridge Ponte Garibaldi follow to Via Arenula, and it is just in front of the bus and tram stop. The restaurant is quite nice and with a bit of Lounge kind of interior.
The Menu is quite impressive, Ipod and a book menu, both are well explanatory. The service, is very good. We order chicken Ganbao Chicken spicy (whish was not spicy) for , Tender Beef for 14.50 euro, Cabbage oriental wok for 6.50 euro, and a take away Chicken Teriyaki with Fried rice for 9.50 euro, 2 dark chocolate cake for 6,50 euro each, with a bottle of sparkling water, total bill was 60.50 euro. This is not bad. There's one thing I would like to add for the food that I tried, the taste were a bit Missing flavour. If I may give a bit of input, it would be excellent if they put a bit more spices, like ginger, garlic, soya sauce, sesame oil, pepper, etc. I did not try the Sushi, so can not really comment on it. Would we come back again ? mm....not really sure. I am Asian, I think I know what Asian taste should be.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Farah F
Rome, Italy
“Sushi very good - staff over bearing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Came here on a coupon and was very pleasantly surprised. The sushi was VERY good for Rome standards (which is usually pretty great), apart from the sushi with the Roe which was obviously badly frozen and defrosted and was not eatable.

The wait staff were over bearing, they were doing constant laps around the small room, filling up our water and wine after taking a sip. We felt like we were being constantly watched.

I would go back here again for the food - but the staff puts me off a bit.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank jessica r
“When in Rome - get Dim Sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Contemporary setting and presentation. Excellent menu. Delicious. Friendly staff. Service felt a little rushed, but not rude.

• Visited January 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Great food and gorgeous too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My boyfriend found a deal on Groupon for this restaurant so we decided to check it out. This restaurant had remained empty for months so we were pleased to see it almost full during lunch on a Saturday. We were handed an iPad with the menu on it, which consisted of beautiful photos and descriptions. I was disappointed...not with the menu, but with the fact that our Groupon deal consisted of a fixed 4-course meal. I really wanted to try the variety of dishes that looked amazing in the photos, but I knew I would be full from the fixed meal.

I would describe this restaurant as an Asian Fusion Restaurant offering four cuisines: Japanese, Thai, Dim Sum and dishes from Hong Kong. Everything looked amazing and the prices were accessible. Their lunch specials are perhaps the best deals to be found.

Our friend, who did not have a Goupon deal, chose one of the lunch specials. At around €10 for 3 couses, it was a steal! We tasted her dishes and found them to be delicious. Our meal included Butterfish sashimi. Our server, which we believe is one of the owners, stressed that no one in Italy carries it. The fish was fresh and everything tasted delicious.

We did order one extra dish since we couldn't leave without trying something new. We had the lobster dumplings. Our server also mentioned that these would melt in our mouth and that no one else in Italy made them. Yes, they melted in our mouth. Yes, they were very good but not great.

I couldn't resist ordering the molten lava cake. I was disappointed to find no molten lava. It had been overcooked. HOWEVER...and this is a big however...it was the best-tasting molten lava cake I'd ever had. I order it a lot, all over Italy, and it usually tastes the same. She explained that they make theirs from scratch using Perugina chocolate. The consistency, although not perfect, was still very moist and almost mouse-like. It was amazing. I imagine it was just a one-time baking error and I would certainly order it again.

The service was excellent. If you've ever eaten in Italy, you'll know that service is basically non-existent in this country. In fact, we find the best service in restaurants offering foreign cuisine. The only thing we didn't like - and it could be due to a lack of finesse based on language limitations - was that the server/owner was a bit braggadocious in her descriptions. While it may be true that this restaurant carries dishes that NOBODY ELSE ANYWHERE IN ITALY CARRIES, it was hammered so much into our heads, that we just wanted to answer back, "Enough already! We get it!". Aside from this, she was very pleasant and welcoming.

The restaurant is beautiful, the food speaks for itself. The variety it offers is impressive and we'll certainly return until we've tried every appetizing dish on that iPad. I suggest that this sever/owner stop mentioning other restaurants, tone the boasting down a notch and just continue being the lovely and friendly person that she was the remainder of the time.

I highly suggest you check it out. It is refreshing to finally find a new high-quality Asian restaurant. There are very few in Rome. Some are trendy but few are amazing. We've tried their sister restaurant on Via Ostiense in the past and it simply does not compare to Kuriya or my other favorite Japanese in that area, which I've reviewed already.

I haven't mentioned many of the specific dishes that we had at Kuriya simply because I trust that the quality is good throughout. Everything was delicious. Just order what inspires you at that moment and I think you'll be happy with your choice. Enjoy!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Glenys V

Been to Kuriya? Share your experiences!