“Lovely room with balcony.”

Fortyseven Hotel Rome
Ranked #75 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Rochester Kent
“Lovely room with balcony.”
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We had a great welcome from reception & were pleased with our room with balcony & view of Tempio di Vesta. The bathroom was small, but we had no problem with noise, maybe because we were on the 5th floor. Breakfast was ok, but I expected something a bit more special, & tea & coffee were never hot enough. On arrival, being tired & hungry we decided to lunch in the delightful courtyard. It was very enjoyable, but rather pricey & not a lot of choice.
Sightseeing in Rome is pretty exhausting & it would have been lovely to be able to make ourselves a cup of tea at the end of the day. I know very few European hotels provide this but if they want good reviews then why not? It would have been a thoughtful touch.
One evening we were too worn out to go looking for a restaurant so ordered room service, which was fine, but again, very pricey & limited choice. The same can be said of the roof restaurant which hardly anyone seemed to be using whilst we were there. We did enjoy a couple of nightcaps there, but were almost alone.
There is usually a van nearby for buying drinks etc. in the daytime, but otherwise there is nowhere near to stock up on snacks etc.
Trastevere was about a 10-15min walk & there are plenty of restaurants there.
It is impossible to find a hotel near all the sights in Rome & this is probably as good as most if you are reasonably fit. But if you want restaurants, shops etc on your doorstop this may not be the place for you.
We bought skip the line tkts for the Vatican on the internet, but we needn't have bothered. At 2.30pm on a Saturday there was a queue but it was moving quickly. Also we did not automatically go through to the Basilica, as we had been told, but had to queue again.
Take good walking shoes & plenty of money - you'll need both!
All in all, I thought the hotel was good but there could have been a little more thoughtfulness for the weary tourist.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Windsor
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I booked this hotel as a surprise weekend away for my partner's birthday.

We booked our taxi from the airport through the hotel, and it was nice to have a designated car waiting for us at the airport. I had heard that taxi rides can be rather hairy experiences but the driver and car was top notch.

I booked a double delux room which on arrival didn't have a bath, just a shower, but I had requested a room on a lower floor as I'm not too keen on lifts/heights so maybe the choice was limited. The room was nice and clean and spacious.

We ate at the rofotop restaurant on the first night, and as it was November and chilly, the restaurant was cold as there is no actual permanent inside seating area, there were plastic transparent shutters pulled down, which meant the view wasn't very good. I ordered fish as a main course which was rubbery, they quickly replaced it though. The food was quite expensive.

The hotel is really close to ancient rome, so we were a short walk from Circus Maximus and the Colosseum. The colosseum tour was brilliant, we bought it from one of the vendors that haggle outside the venue, and it included entrance. Be aware that the tour is unlikely to start in "just 5 minutes" as promised, they begin the tour when they have their quota of customers (we waited 35 minutes). A short walk from the hotel is also the Vial di Trastavere, where there are lots of restaurants and cafes. We had amazing pizza, the wine was good. Service is generally laid back...

We took a taxi across Rome from the hotel to the vatican which didn't take long and cost 9 euros.

We ate in the room on the 2nd night as we were tired. Room service was your standard fare. We ordered a bottle of wine which took almost an hour which was a bit ridiculous considering we were on the first floor directly above the bar area.

On our third and final night the concierge recommended a lovely chinese restaurant we were really impressed as there aren't many chinese restaurants in Rome so had low expectations, but it was really good fresh food.

The cocktails at the bar in the hotel are very nice. There were limited staff probably due to the time of year. The wireless internet wouldn't work so had to use the dial up. I find it ridiculous that hotels can charge for any internet usage but it did come at a cost.

I would recommend this hotel if there are any special deals on, but it is overpriced for the standards of service that they deliver.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rumpelstiltskin79
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed April 11, 2009

If hotels were about location and design only, this place would be a winner. But hotels are about people. Some of whom who read pages like these. The staff at this place quite clearly would rather be doing something else than listening to customers. In fact, they are. We had to search for the staff and when we found one, he or she then expertedly explained that someone else was responsible for the request we had. Considering the prices this places charges, I would rate it rather poor value for money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Copenhagen
Reviewed April 9, 2009

My wife and I spent 4 days and nights in Rome during the lovely warm early Aprll 2009. We selected Hotel Fortyseven after consulting the internet including Tripadvisor reviews. We considered a range of good to high end'ish alternatives but setteled for Fortyseven and were not disappointed. First of all location is great for visiting the antique sites, and the historical town. Next door Marcello Theater is a great charming little area with several good restaurants (if some of them well hidden). Easy walks to many major places and sights (longest we tried: ca one hour to walk to Vatican museum along Tiber river bed and streets). Hotel has a modern chic design, as we prefer it, rather than old world grandeur, and it was very clean and quiet (we had a room with no view, but also no noise). Quite good small breakfast buffet included, and a nice roof top bar and restaurant, we had a good lunch. As for service, upon arrival we got the best welcome from a receptionist ever experienced, all the needed information right there plus a lot of extra knowledge and suggestions, but with no pushing of unncessary stuff, all in a very friendly and professional tone, Could not get an extra key card on the day, but that didn't really matter to us. Staff was friendly and helpful throughout, although the reception appeared a bit understaffed (and the concierge totally absent) during the weekend. We used their Mercedes service from and to the airport, a bit costly (50 Euro per way), but extremely comfortable, with polite service, and right on time both ways. We had chosen a 'stay longer' package with some nice rebates and free use of minibar etc up to a limit, which helped on the price side, but still Fortyseven is not a cheap place to stay. Anyway, all in all a very good place indeed to be based in Rome, and somewhere we could easily choose again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed April 6, 2009

From arrival to departure, this hotel was excellent. The staff was very friendly and professional, always helpful. The location could not have been better. We walked everywhere - never a need for a taxi or public transport. Steps away from great dining and night life in Trasteverde section. Rooms could use a paint job but were very cool and contemporary looking. We had a balcony room on the 5th floor and a view of the city - unbelievable! Bathroom was great, spacious, nice shower. Loved the breakfast - all the things Americans love and some Italian specialties as well. Bar was well stocked and lots of fun. Can't wait to go back!

rivergirl4574
Reviewed April 3, 2009

This hotel is clean, the breakfast is ok, (but a free for all), and the room was decent. The elevator drove me nuts, sounded like banging on the walls when moving and the walls are pretty thin.

Actually I was very happy the first few days there, but on my departure, something surprising happened.

My husband and I decided to go for a final walk, so we left the hotel and I decided I needed a thicker coat. He waited for me outside while I went back to my room.

I got to my room and could not open my door, it had been disabled. After about the 4th try, and standing there baffled, because the staff knew the time we were checking out, did not understand why my door would not open. Will, to my surprise, there was someone in my room, it was the bellman. I had the "do not disturb sign" on my door, and never was notified by the front desk that someone needed to enter my room. They had every opportunity to let us know, but did not.

The bellman and front desk knew we had walked out the door, they know everything that goes on, it is a small hotel.

The bellman that opened my door, did not expect for us to return so soon. That is why he went as quickly to our room as he could. I do not know what or why he was in our room, but one can only feel like they were about to be victimized and do to this I was very upset.

Since when do hotels, allow their staff to have access to a room without the guest being aware, and especially with a "do not disturb" sign on the door.

The hotel has responded to me by stating that the bellman is also a technician, and he was there to fix the A/C. But, if this was such an emergency, then how come I was not notified.

In my opinion, the fact that an employee can enter an occupied room without permission, and with a sign on the door, is one thing. But for the hotel to do it the minute we walked out the door ignoring the sign, and not disclosing to us a reason, is horrifiying to me. We could have been a victim and would not have discovered it until we either got to the airport, or home, more than likely the later. Then who would be to blame, by then it is too late. Nothing was missing, but the employee did not have enough time.

In confronting the front desk, they did not have a clue he was in my room.

I will let you be the judge for yourself as to whether or not you should stay here.

The plus in this hotel, free breakfast, close to everything, and somewhat accomodating.

2 Thank rivergirl4574
Danville
Reviewed April 2, 2009

The hotel was very nice and conveniently located to most attractions. About 15 min to Piazza Navona. (Some ppl prefer that or near that location). We walked everywhere. It's about 45 min to Vatican, which is the farthest destination point. The bus stop is right in front. Great area 5 min away full of great restaurants. Keep in mind, standard rooms are quite small with small bathrooms. We got upgraded to deluxe. That room is nice, good decor, and comfortable. No bathtubs but nice, large showers. Most rooms face the street and you can hear the cars through the windows. But not bad. Breakfast is good enough. Wide selection but the same every day. Ask for cappuccinos.The hotel has a nice outside courtyard for bkfst when weather permits. The rooms on 5th floor have balconies but are smaller. The concierge and front desk is very helpful and we got some great recs for restaurants! I did an extensive research as far as hotels go. We got the best rate (low 200s) through Expedia.

2 Thank Ellochka