“Great home base to explore Rome from”

Fortyseven Hotel Rome
Ranked #75 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
New York City, New York
“Great home base to explore Rome from”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was a great boutique hotel in a great location in Rome. The accomodations were comfortable, up-to-date, well designed, and modern. The concierge/check in staff was excellent and as helpful as possible sorting through a lost luggage situation. The breakfast buffet is served in a lovely courtyard and the rooftop bar is not to be missed. This was the perfect place to explore Rome from because it is within walking distance of so many must sees. I'd highly recommend. The only imperfection was that I could hear a lot of what my neighbor was doing and the room upstairs but not enough to prevent sleep. Loved the city view too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and found the location to be very handy. Close to the Jewish Ghetto and the Colosseum and across the road from the Church of Santa Maria.
The only draw back was dragging our very heavy cases up the front stairs but I'm sure we could have requested assistance.
Service from the front desk was exceptional and for first time visitors to Italy this helped to make our stay as wonderful as it was.
The room was clean and modern and lived up to expectations. Breakfast was good and the meal at the rooftop Circus restaurant was a fitting finale for our last night in Rome.

New jersey
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in one of the suites. Large balcony, very comfortable bed and great views...room was spotless. The front desk staff was extremely helpful, they made you feel at home and were willing to answer all your questions about the sights. They were probably some of the best front desk staff we have ever dealt with. Breakfast was nice with a lot of choices. We walked everywhere except the Vatican; minutes from the Palatine and about 25 mins to Spanish Steps. Would definately stay again.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at 47 Hotel in Rome for a week in Sept 2012. All the great reviews that you find here are absolutely true. We were delighted by every detail of this hotel. Great service, great people, a welcoming atmosphere, and nice accomidations. Our room was on par with American hotel standards - good size, very clean, and modern. The soundproof windows were and black out shades were great at blocking out the city noise at night. The daily breakfast buffet was expansive and fresh with good coffee. The staff continously went above and beyond to meet our needs - they took care of arranging our transport to/from the airport and also made several restaurant reservations for us.

One of main things that led us to pick this hotel was all the reviews that mentioned the great location of this hotel. This is true! We were able to walk to all of the big sites, such as the Colisseum and Roman Forum. The Circo Masimo subway stop is also nearby if you wish to save a bit of a walk to some of the farther destinations. While being in the heart of everything, is also far enough away from the tourist crowds.

Our only (very minor) complaint was the beds were not terribly comfortable but from reading several reviews online that seems to be a standard with Roman hotels.

Highly recommend - book this today if you are looking for a great hotel in Rome!

Asbury Park, New Jersey
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My daughter studied in Rome in the Spring of 2012. We only had 7 days to visit her during Easter. My youngest daughter, my wife and I met my older daughter in Florence. After spending 3 incredible days in Florence (Chianti), we took the train to Rome.

My daughter suggested we stay at the FortySeven because of its excellent location. She walked by it often and just loved it. From the moment we arrived until we left, the staff at the FortySeven was incredibly attentive. They went out of their way everyday to ensure our accommodations were perfect. They wanted to know our "game plan" each day, so they can offer up recommendations and assistance to ensure we were getting the best out of Rome.

From the FortySeven you are a 10 minute walk to Trastevere, which is a must see spot. The FortySeven is located behind the Roman Forum. Its just a 10 minute walk to the Coliseum and Roman Forum. We walked to the Pantheon, "Campo di Fiori", Piazza Venezia with no problem. The best part is the "Circo di Massimo" (Circus Maximus) is about a quarter mile away. My last morning I went for a run in the Circus Maximus, which was incredible experience. I had to stop a few times during my run to take it all in. This is where the Roman chariot races were held, 2000 years ago!

You cannot go wrong with this Hotel when you stay in Rome. And you should ask for Marco when you arrive.

Attached to this review is a picture of the Capital Line hill, where all the early emperors of Rome lived. I took the picture from the balcony of our hotel room.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room that looks out towards the Tiber.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in a deluxe double in early September and the room was superb. We had fantastic views and lots of space and it all felt very luxurious. The staff on hand were helpful and available to offer advice whenever asked and they did go out of their way to help us print out some online tickets when asked, which we really appreciated.

The location is also fantastic - within very easy walking distance of the Colosseum and the bus to the Vatican stops right outside (although remember to buy bus tickets ahead of boarding). It is also easy to walk to many of the other sights.

There were some nice enough places to go out to eat just over the river, however, we did have one meal in the Circus restaurant and I would thoroughly recommend it - the service, food and ambience were all excellent. All in all it was one of the lovliest meals we had in Rome. It was also really nice to go there just for a drink if there is space as the views were wonderful. (It is however mainly a resturant and so tables for drinks are understandably limited). We found the accompanying nibbles great!

This does bring me onto one of the two main issues we had with our stay. The first was in relation to the bar downstairs which was closed on the two occasions we did try to use it. It was unfortunate for us that we were in Rome when it rained a lot! There was one evening where we had been out for an evening meal and dashed back to the Hotel to escape the rain with a view to having a drink in the bar downstairs for ease. The downstairs bar wasn't open and when queried with the staff, we were just told to go upstairs to the restaurant bar. Unfortunately, it was full upstairs and we were turned away. It was 9.30pm and we didn't want to go back ouside due to the weather so we just ended up reading in our rooms. It wasn't the end of the world and the circumstances were unusual - had it not been raining we would have ventured back out. However, it did affect our evening and we were left feeling disappointed and that we should not have exerienced this from a hotel of this calibre.

The second issue I have with the hotel is more serious and arose after our departure. On my credit card statement a multiple transaction for the cost of our stay was put through. Although this was corrected the same day, the transactions resulted in charges and exchange rate differences totalling just over £49.

I brought this to the Hotel's attention and the first two emails I received stated and re-stated that I had only been charged once and that was effectively the end of the email each time. I went back and asked them to check for a third time. Eventually they acknowledged there had been multiple transactions but simply stated that these had been corrected, again, end of email. I then wrote back again to explain that I had always maintained that the transaction had been corrected but that it was the addtional costs as a result that I was disputing. They then wrote back to offer an apology and £20 refund which were the total costs they calculated I incurred, even though I had explained several times the costs were over £49.

I really felt that the hotel was not listening to my concerns, that I had to keep pushing the issue, and although I did eventually get an ackowledgement and apology, they were still refusing to accept responsibility for the full costs I had incurred as a result of their error. In the end I have ceased communications with the hotel and left this in the hands of my credit card company. As a result of the card protection, they have assured me that they will rectify this for me. I do feel that the hotel has really failed. Had I not got this protection as a fall-back, I would not be getting my full costs back.

There are many excellent aspects to this hotel but I do agree with someone else's comments on here that if you are unlucky and something goes wrong, it becomes your problem. Our overall experience (which was largely positive) has really been tainted. I have given a 3* rating in order to offer a balanced view. I think in reality you are more likely to have a 5* experience at this Hotel but there is a risk it could be 1* if you do have a problem. I certainly would not return.

Room Tip: It is worth getting the Deluxe as you do get lots of extra space.
3 Thank 10Lou
danypre, General Manager at Fortyseven Hotel Rome, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review regarding Hotel Fortyseven.

I would like to emphasis the fact that the hotel possesses all your previously sent emails that were promptly answered in a transparent fashion.
I would like to bring attention to your email sent on September 24, 2012 to the Hotel Director, Paolo Dalle Vacche: “I actually feel as though you have stolen money from me because you used my credit card without my permission and you are refusing to acknowledge or help extinguish my concerns.”

I understand your disappointment, but frankly to accuse the hotel for having stolen money from you and to have used your credit card in a fraudulent fashion is too much! I would simply like to point out that as sophisticated as technology is, it is not always 100% precise. Unfortunately, this is what happened when your account was erroneously debited twice. Hotel Fortyseven acted in complete good faith and the double charge was immediately removed from your credit card account.
Also, I would like to bring your attention to the fact that the credit card currency exchange commissions are not established by Hotel Fortyseven, but, instead, by the credit card company itself.

In order to avoid any misunderstandings and so that the situation was perfectly clear, Hotel Fortyseven stated that we were responsible to pay the commission charges that were charged on your account as well as the incorrect commission charges. Certainly it is not the hotel’s responsibility to pay the commission charges that you are responsible to pay.

By refusing to send the hotel your bank details in order to have your account accredited, you have again, put in doubt the honorability of Hotel Fortyseven. Refer to the email sent to Ms. Bini on September 25, 2012: “I will not send you any of my bank details. Following our correspondence I have no faith in your hotel and I do not trust you will rectify this properly. It wouldn’t surprised me if I ended up with further charges!”

In conclusion, I will leave it up to the Tripadvisor Readers to judge themselves the review accordingly and in a balanced fashion. In prior emails sent to both the Hotel Manager and Ms. Bini, you stated the lack of hotel integrity and that you would inform Tripadvisor: “I will be reporting this on my trip advisor statement.”

I take this opportunity to thank all the comments from our clientele as they enrich us as well as help us improve.

Best Regards,

Luca Nicolotti
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Overall we liked our stay here. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean (we stayed in a classic double). We had a good view of the city. It's in a good location- walking distance to the most common sites. The bus station is one block over which is convenient to catch bus 81 to the Vatican or bus 170 to the Termini. They offered us free wifi and sent us some champagne for our anniversary. There was a big variety for breakfast. The turkish bath is basically a very big steam room with a hot and cold shower. However, the walls are VERY thin.