“Good value and very accessible to tourist spots..”

Les Chambres d'Or Hotel
Ranked #1,110 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had a vacation with my family in Rome, we picked this hotel as it was walking distance to the Vatican, cafe's and nearby transportation to tour around. We have not a problem about the room. The staff were friendly, informative and very helpful. The hotel's reception is a block away, and the breakfast is also served next to the reception. It is not a big deal, but all i can say is, less luxury but more $$$ to spend for your trip.

Room Tip: If you are concern about the time, they offer transportation service or car for hire i may say to sa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank annarl67

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Although the bed is comfortable and reasonably clean hotel, the person who best attend us there was the cleaning lady.
Worst of all was the bathroom. It was so teeny tiny that you couldn't bend down to pick up the soap, in case it fall on the ground! A cubicle!
The owners of the hotel also own a restaurant which is next to the reception and certainly they were much more concerned about the restaurant than the service at the hotel. Countless times we went to reception but the clerk was working as a waiter and couldn’t talk to us. When We were able to talk to him, he always tried to sell us something form the hotel partners, and was never sincere with questions, just to try to push us a service not needed.
The breakfast is exceptionally weak. In all other hotels we stayed on our trip had variety of things much better than just toast, cereal and yogurt.
Many corridors and rooms were poorly maintained: on our room the TV table was almost falling and there was a leak on the floor, soaking the carpet, on the corridors mirrors were practically opaque and black .
As for location, it is worthwhile for those who want to stay near the Vatican. There is also a subway close, but for who are more interested in the old city, better find a place there.
Surely I'll NEVER stay there anymore!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luisa M
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Never ever again! Dont come here!!!!!!
Taxi drop us off at the building says hotel, doesnt look like one.... A man from opposite restaurant called us over to a little room next to the restaurant, and thats the hotel refeption, after we checked in, a man took us to cross the room into a old building, which is totally under construction, in a very old lift, took us to level 3 into one room and inside split into 4 rooms..... One of them is ours, first thought, get me out of here!!

2  Thank Vivi A
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Had a wonderful time at this location. Rooms are spacious and clean. Great location, less than 10 minute walk to the Vatican and the Metro. Close to plenty of good cafes and restaurants.Staff was outstanding and extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Triple room has plenty of room for 3 people
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Lynn G
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is near the Vatican. Perhaps the only good thing about it.
Me and 7 other friends booked this hotel because of its location and the promise of good service and air-conditioned rooms. When we arrived at the hotel, our rooms were NOT READY! The air-conditioner was not working. We asked the staff to check on it, while they did, they kept complaining the whole time. There was this one lady who called to the receptionist and told the receptionist that the guests do not understand that air-conditioners take time to cool up. While this is true, their air-conditioners were really not cooling up (eventually, the repairman came the next day to fix their air-conditioners. They should thank us for informing them about the problem!).
We talked to another lady, who turned out to be the owner of this hotel, and told her that we would like to transfer to another room. She was mad and irritated at us to the point that she told us we could leave and look for another hotel (it was 1am). One of my friends then answered back by saying that if that is the case, she should look for a hotel for us and book it for us! It is the hotel's responsibility to provide their customers a good place to sleep in. She was put back into her place and she eventually gave us new rooms, which has working air-conditioners. By the way, this owner lied to us about her name, she said her name was DANIELLA. We never found out her real name, but we were just told by the other staffs that she is not Daniella.
The rooms were big. The shower was not spacious. The bed sheets had holes in them. They cleaned the room everyday!
The hotel is separated from its restaurant. You would have to walk at least 100m to have your breakfast. They served fresh bread every morning, natural yogurt, coffee, cereals... It was just ok, not really good.
The parking space was also in a different place, about 500m from the hotel. It has a daily rent of about 20€ and you cannot take the car for a drive even for just an hour otherwise you lose your space.
WE WILL NEVER COME BACK TO THIS HOTEL, NOR WOULD WE RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE!!!!!

Room Tip: Book this hotel if you want to be treated poorly. ;)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AC_Robin
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I called and booked for 3 nights and sent an email confirming my dates for myself and my sister.

I asked when I called if Sam (the man who owned this place still did own it) I was told yes he did.

I was so looking forward to seeing Sam and his wonderful staff again.

We arrived to find no booking recorded and then I am told that they have only one room available and only for two nights. We waited an hour to be told this.

In the past when you arrived Sam would on your arrival, provide you with a drink of your choice and a selection of snacks for you to enjoy in the sunshine. This was always the start to such a relaxing time at Les Chambres d'Or Hotel.

This time I paid for drinks and a snack whilst we waited for them to provide me with the two night booking.

I kid you not the dog who lives there it seems in the reception area received more attention than me and my sister.

I should have walked away and looked for alternative accommodation but I had told my sister who had come from America so much about this wonderful quirky place I didn't. I thought it was just a hiccup as when I asked if Sam was available I was told he was not there. I thought OK, I would mention to him his staff's attitude later. I only recognised one member of staff and he recognised me and smiled but was not working on the reception. The others I did not recognise.

I was asked to pay before seeing our room. BAD MISTAKE!!!

It was in the building on the corner near the reception area. I had had a room there before and I enjoyed staying it.

This time I was let into a room so dark and gloomy my heart sank. We laughed at the fact we were going to have share a bed again after 40 years..

My sister and I being the kind of people we are thought OK we have paid lets make the best of it as really all we wanted was a place to sleep and a shower.

So a freshen up and out. Late in and straight to bed as so much to do and so little time. We were tired, as we had just flown in from Paris having done two and a half days there. It was a whistle stop tour as my sister had never seen anything of Europe.

So when the BANGING started just before 7 AM I thought I was dreaming it. It was no dream and it did not stop. The banging was coming from the floor below us. It was brick removal banging, sledge hammer. Bang, bang, bang!!!!

So we laugh it off as our early morning wake up call. Except I really was not laughing now.

We went over to see if the café was open for breakfast but most of all I went straight to reception to find it empty except for the dog. I saw the young man I had recognised the day before a stopped him to ask if I could speak with Sam.

The told me Sam no longer owned Les Chambres d'Or Hotel!!!!!!!!!!!

I explained my disappointment. I had been lead to believe on all my contact that he still did. I then explained why we were up so early and could I speak to someone about the rude awakening we received that morning. He said he would find someone from reception.

An hour and a half later I could wait no more. I called my friend in England and ask if they could search for alternative accommodation. This they did and with that and not one person coming to see us we went back to the room and packed our things. The BANGING was still going on.

Back to reception!

Had a chat with the dog as nobody available to talk to me. Finally a person came. I explained the situation and my total disappointment as a guest and said that we had no alternative but to leave and that I was requesting a refund on my credit card for the second night. This I did not find unreasonable. The person said they did not have the authority to do this and would have to ask the owner. At this I laughed and said who "Sam". I did this because all the literature about Les Chambres d'Or Hotel in the reception area still featured Sam and his staff!!!!

So yet another wait.

The owners response, who I never met, was no. They would not refund me the night we were not staying but that they were able to offer me a different room.. WHAT!!!

Yesterday, I was given the last room and for only two not three nights.

All I can say is I booked direct and LOST my money. I never did meet the owner, just the owners dog. LOL.

My sister thought I was asking for a refund in full as she would have asked for this. When I explained that I was just asking for a refund on the night we would not be staying she was thought I was being soft. I am not soft, we had stayed one night and no matter how bad it was I would pay.

The fact that I was refused a refund on the second night showed me the type of establishment it had become. The fact the owner never had a conversation with me tops it.

I walked away with my head high and with no confrontation as where would that get me. They were staff who worked here. Well when you could find them.

We moved to Hotel Gravina San Pietro and very nice it was too.

This place was just as close but without the high prices of eating out.

Bottle of wine 4.50 instead of 15+ in the café on the main road. Also a supermarket at the end of the road. A balcony, a roof top restaurant / bar area with a direct view of the Basilica.

I would never, never, never, ever again return to Les Chambres d'Or Hotel.

The dog was treated better than us.

Room Tip: I can no longer advise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank chocbox
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have been to many different hotels across Europe and the US and I am not picky at all but this hotel was awful! It's not even a hotel! It's an apartment building and the "hotel" are rooms that are sectioned off on one part of the building hallway. Literally, it's a hallway that has a private door and there are about 7 rooms which is the "hotel," and that's why the reception is across the street. My significant other and I were there for 4 days and I could barely shower because the shower head had NO pressure at all, the sink had more water pressure! The walls had mold everywhere, and the sheets on the beds were dirty and even ripped. I was so disappointed, I would NOT recommend it.
The only reason why I liked this hotel was because of the location. You are right in the center, minutes of a walk away from the Vatican!

(We also noticed the next day when the sheets were changed, whoever did it just flipped the sheets the other way around and I noticed this because I spilled a little bit of coffee on the sheet next to my head the night before and that part was on the bottom, turned the other way the next morning.)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple