“Excellent Hotel”

Les Chambres d'Or Hotel
Ranked #1,083 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We came to Rome for our holidays and were pleasantly suprised by the hotel we had booked. The staff was very friendly and answered all our questions. The location is excellent as it is just a two minute walk away from the Vatican and very close to many of Romes attractions. All in all a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank brian1991
There are newer reviews for Les Chambres d'Or Hotel

Reviewed December 18, 2010

We stayed here for two nights during Thanksgiving week during the second leg of our stay in Rome during a week-long Italy trip. The hotel has a very nice location, and is literally a 5 minute walk to the Vatican. It was a little difficult to find as the rooms seemed to be in various residential buildings around a block and the reception is across next to a cafe that also doubles up as a breakfast part of the B&B. But the staff was friendly and they found us while we were looking for the hotel.
The room we stayed in was decent sized but it was in an old apartment building. The closet, for instance, did not have a handle to open and the seat on the WC was chipped. The shower stall was also small but that seems to be the case generally there. It was also more expensive than our previous hotel in the city, but I think the premium was due to its proximity to the Vatican. The breakfast at the restaurant was a little disappointing as the buffet was not replenished often and you had empty plates with a couple of pastries left and 2-3 people waiting to get food. There is also no free Internet.
Still, our overall stay was comfortable and the location is terrific. We spent most of the time outside walking around Rome and the Vatican anyway. And it is close to a Metro stop that takes you right to the heart of the city in a few minutes.
If you are not looking for too many frills and are looking for a budget hotel in a great location, this is definitely a place worth considering.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We stayed in Les Chambres D'Or for 4 nights in November 2010 and really enjoyed it. The hotel is on a quiet street, close to San Pietro and Vatican Museums, the Octaviano Metro station is two blocks away so it is easy to get around but also walk to many of the sights. The reception is at no. 17/A and our room was at no 32, just across the street. The room was small but cozy and stylish, very clean (serviced everyday) and with the windows opened you could hear the Vatican’s bells. The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast plentiful and was served in a separate room of Rendez-Vous restaurant, which is next to hotel reception.
The only minor criticism would be that on the beds had protective plastic sheets atop the mattress followed by the conventional cloth sheet set. Overall Les Chambres D'Or it is a solid and reasonable choice and considering its location and the rate we paid (85 Euro per night) I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My parents and I were on our first vacation to Rome. Our choice for the hotel was based on location and others' reviews on this website.

When we arrived at reception, we were led to our stay which was located a bit down the block from reception. We ordered the two-room suite for 5 nights for 3 people. The suite is immaculate, with a jacuzzi and a full kitchen, although the stove does not work or is not meant to work, it's still nice to have a kitchen. The staff was warm and helpful.

Our only complaint is the troll-like old man who apparently is the owner's father and feels like the staff is not up to par on their duties, constantly ordering them around when they are busy with other duties and being rude and disrespectful in general. Perhaps that is old school Italian that I am not familiar with but why get pissy with guests who are spending quite a large sum of money staying at your hotel?

However.... On our fourth day's stay, I wanted an extra cappuccino for me and my mother. We had one each. The old man started counting in Italian and looking very angry. I do not speak Italian but took Latin in school. There were two other guests around who did speak Italian and he started mocking me and my family in Italian to them with me standing there! One of the guests said that only two was included with the meal. I then inquired, ok well i only had one. He then put his hand to his cheek and made a gesture to suggest that we were thick-skinned and mentioned two words that I did understand. Familiae and Cinese. Family and Chinese.. Perhaps I looked young (im a Wall St professional and could have recommended colleagues to stay there on trips) and did not speak the language so he thought it okay to call me and my family names. If he wanted me to pay for the extra cappuccino, he could have just explained and told me how much it cost... It was an unnecessarily degrading experience.

I still would recommend this hotel as the other staff was very accommodating, the rooms are of good value, and the location is prime... but I hope that the owner takes note that the hotel will lose lots of business because of the busy old man running around.

One thing I noticed that was quite funny was that some napkins had inconsistent folds on them, meaning somebody (probably the cheap old man), took the un-used (hopefully) off the table guests left and put them back in the napkin pile! I actually had no problem with this as times are tough and napkins are napkins, they wipe, folded or not.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed September 20, 2010

My main criteria for booking this hotel was the location (3 blocks from a subway station and a short 5-minute walk to the Vatican) as well as the rate compared to similar class hotels around Rome. I paid €95 per night for three nights early September 2010.

Hotel easy to find, swift check-in. The room was in a building about 100 yards from the reception in a nearby street. Although close to the Vatican, the immediate neighbourhood is really quiet. The room was a nice surprise, very clean, furnished in a 18th century style with elegant color schemes (dark blue rug, golden walls, brown furniture, old drawings, etc.).

The bathroom was a big letdown though. The shower was tiny, with an extra long curtain closing half of the opening and a sliding door closing the other half. Nothing in the shower to hold soap or shampoo... and you can't bend since it's tiny. I let you imagine how awkward it was!

Slight issues with the power plugs, very dingy and not all of them working.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was very nice. Lots of different, warm pastries.

Overall a great place to stay, I just hope they make an effort on the bathroom. I would definitely return there for my next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We visted Les Chambres d'or Hotel in 2004 and 2006 with friends and we had such a fabulous time the hotel was so friendly.On both occasions we were greeted by Sam who sat us down and made us cappacino's before showing us to our rooms. We went home and reccomended the hotel to friends who also visted in 2007 and had a great time. My Husband and I decided to return this year for our honeymoon as we knew that we were guaranteed to be looked after and have decent accomadation, However we couldn't be more wrong we were hugely disappointed! We had emailed 3 months prior to our visit explaining we were returning for and 3rd visit and this time for our honeymoon could we have a nice room. Our room was very small compared to rooms we had stayed in before, the bathroom was damp, the shower was broken (when asked to be fixed it was gaffa taped) wallpaper and paint was peeling off the walls however it had air conditioning which was very much needed. We had breakfast in the Rendevous cafe, the staff pretty much ignored us and we felt were quite rude, when on previous visits we had been seated offered coffee and pastries instead now we were pointed in the direction of luke warm coffee in a maker and dried bits of bread and pastries. This was all such a disappointment, however the location was perfect for us to escape into the romance of Rome.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank acshunt
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We had 2 rooms - a double & a quad. Chose this hotel as we only had one full day in Rome & it was a stone's throw from the Vatican - EXCELLENT location. We were in one block & my parents in another acrioss the street. Both rooms were very nicely furnished although they had a tiny shower. Breakfast was fine. This was a good choice but not the hotel for you if you like 5 star luxury & being waited on hand and foot !

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family