“Good place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #754 of 1,066 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Nakhodka, Russia
“Good place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

I stayed in this hostel for four nights and my experience was just fine.
Hostel is located about 1 minute walk from Metro and bus stations which was very convenient.
I stayed in the "Asia" room. Yeah, it's not wide at all but they do keep the place clean and give you clean bed sheets, also you can rent a towel. There are lockers in the room near each bunk, pay phone, three computers (which were all working during my stay) with internet access that costs 1 euro/hour.
The staff is very nice and helpful. They helped me with directions and choosing the best route.

• Liked — Clean room, friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — Small shower that leaks
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Nast

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
catrick7
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

Yes, the rooms are narrow, but this actually afforded us a little more breathing room than in some hostels I've stayed in, where the bunks are extremely close to each other. Yes, most of the computers were broken, but the one that worked was available for free, whereas they used to charge for internet. We stayed in the "Middle East" room and our shower was just fine.

The staff was ridiculously nice to us, and very helpful with directions and translations when my sister was ill. All in all, very decent.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank catrick7
Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

Took 23 Year 7 students to Rome last year (from Stretford High School in Manchester). We needed somewhere cheap, clean and safe to stay. For us, the Youth Station was perfect! The kids had a great time. Being close to the Metro it meant that we could get a good start on the day (although trying to get 12 girls ready for 9am when they only had one socket for their hair straighteners was a challenge). A lot of reviews on this site slag it off but I think they have missed the point. It isn't a hotel. It's somewhere cheap to stay in an expensive city. If it wasn't for places like the Youth Station then I would not have been able to offer this experience to the students at our school. Yes the shower leaked, yes the kitchen is really a kettle and a microwave, yes the area is "colourful"...but travel is about more than the luxuries of home. We got to see Ostia, the Vatican, the Colisseum and the Pantheon. We got to eat ice cream and race each other up the Spanish Steps. Rome is the greatest city on Earth and the staff at the Youth Hostel couldn't have been more helpful making our stay there a friendly one.

• Liked — Location (right next to the Metro)
  • Disliked — Leaky shower
  • Stayed November 2006
1 Thank ajympton
Spring Hill, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

This hostel was my first experience and above all it was OK. It wasn't the cleanest nor the quietest place but it had cozy beds and a place to lay my head. Most of the times the computers in the commons area didn't work, our shower flooded the bathroom everytime a person took a shower in the moldy shower (wear flip-flop shoes), the toilet was smelly and not clean. I HIGHLY recommend eye masks and ear plugs. Without them, you will hear the parties in the commons, people snoring, people coming and going, and all kids of noises in the bathroom. Overall, it was run by young people and it was fun getting to know other people. It wasn't the cleanest but I would recommend to young tourists...not families with children.

• Liked — The location to the subway
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

montpellier, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2006

This is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. Go there and loose your dignity. This is definitly not a place for human beings. Even chickens would have more space to live in. All that is in their website is fake. The pictures show the biggest room. Actually there are four rooms (corridors) that contain 10 beds each. The picture show a narrow room with beds aligned on the side. The reality is that the beds are double decked (the ladder is lacking on some beds) and the number of lockers is two times more so you have even less space than what is shown. There is a very tiny bathroom in each room. If you insist on going there, make sure you don't bring clostrophobic friends along.
This hostel is just for business, the owners want the maximum money and don't care about the clients. It is made only for young people who don't complain: no adult would ever accept such swindle.
By the way, credit cards are not accepted though the website says it does! This shows how much honest they are.
Internet is 1 euro for 1/2 hour and there are only 3 computers. It's expensive compared to other hostels where it is free.
The kitchen has just a microwave and 2 little fridges.
Air conditioning doesn't work.
The emergency exit in my room didn't work.
The room cleaning is bad and didn't include bathroom when I was there. A second bed sheet is given on demand only.
Bags can be kept after checkout for 3 euros. They'll desactivate your friends magnetic keys so that you cannot enter the room and pick up your bag without them.
Please consider my note and don't experience this hostel: this bunch of crooks doesn't deserve any other penny.
I've attached a photo to my comment. The rooms are 40 meters long and 2 meters wide, filled with beds and lockers that hardly let the light in. They even added old desks in the way supposed to help us but rather make us more suffocate.

• Liked — the appealing description of the hostel on the website
  • Disliked — the corridor-like rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go there
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank jonasan
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2006

This is the worst hostel that I have ever stayed in. When I arrived at the hostel I was informed that the single sex dorm that I had booked 6 months earlier was not available, however I was not informed before arriving. I was not offered an alternative even though I stated I didn't want a mixed room, the staff informed me that I could find myself a different room for the night and they would not charge me, but where at 3pm in the middle of July are you going to find a room in Rome? They also did not accept credit card athough I was told they did, so I had to walk 10 minutes to a cash point on my own in Rome at 10pm, in a not so nice area! Also the air conditioning did not work in the dorm, no ladders were on the bunks so had to get another traveller to lift me up, and finally there was 1 combined shower and toilet room per room, so took around 1.30 minutes to have a shower in the morning due to the que. I really do not recommened this hostel to anyone.

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank embo
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2006

The plumbing isn't always that reliable, and the shower tends to flood the bathroom, but it's a clean (VERY clean), secure hostel with no curfew and an option on private rooms for up to four people if you don't want to go in a dorm. There is very, very little space in the dorms, and they can feel a little claustrophobic until you get used to them.

The rooms for up to 4 people are really nice and well worth paying a bit extra for. Again, there isn't a lot of space, and the decor (dark blue and white) can make you feel a bit suffocated.

We got a shuttle to and from the airport, which worked well. You are very close indeed to a metro, post office, supermarket and ATM, and there's a Western Union not far away, as well as markets once a week. The area is not the poshest - I got mugged on the metro, although I think that was my own stupid fault for not watching my bag carefully enough.

The lack of a curfew is a real bonus, as is the 24-hr staffing. There is fast internet whenever you want it (without the MASSIVE queues you get at places like the Yellow Hostel), and it's not too noisy at night. The kitchen facilities are limited, but have all you need. The lounge area's not terribly comfortable, but eh. The big bonus of the Youth Station is that - although it's really a pretty small hostel - you get an amazing mix of people, languages and cultures. There's a great buzz. I would recommend it - as long as you're travelling with people you like!

• Stayed September 2005