“A must-do experience in Rome with kids” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 61 Classes & Workshops in Rome
Sydney, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A must-do experience in Rome with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was the highlight of our Rome trip with three kids under 12. After an hour of learning about the different gladiators and Barbarians in the museum we got to dress up and learn some moves. We fought with the teacher and then each other. It was well controlled and huge fun. Take a taxi to find the place as its not easy. Don't forget to video the experience!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Griswalds11

Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great Roman Experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I did this in December 2012 on the last full day of our week in Rome and really enjoyed our experience with the Scuola Gladiatori di Roma. We also took the #218 bus (from the bus depot near the San Giovanni metro stop) and had no trouble finding the school - it's not far from where the bus drops you off on the Via Appia Antica and there is a sign on the street that directs you down a small side street to the entrance of the school. The school was supposed to have the feel of Roman barracks so it wasn't going to be luxurious by any means (as some people have complained about on other TripAdvisor reviews of the Gruppo Storico Romano - which runs the school) and we knew that going in (it was still pretty cool - there was an arena and stands and other small buildings in this complex). We got there a little early and watched as our instructor, Paolo, finished up his lesson with another client (a family with a teenaged son) and waited in the little museum. Although I was worried that we would be too old for this kind of thing (we are in our late 20s), Paolo put my mind at ease by telling us about the variety of people who had done the school before (including two older siblings who LOVED the fighting aspect of the school and felt the need to show it:))

He spent the next 1.5 hours walking us through all the artifacts of the museum and laying out the history of the Roman gladiators and Rome itself. This was really great since my boyfriend and I are history buffs and got to see replicas of armor, helmets (which we got to try on) uniforms, weapons, models of large machinery/weapons, jewelry, statues, tools, diaramas of encampments/battles, coins, military standards, etc. Paolo spoke about the role of the gladiators and legionnaires in the Roman empire and since we had been to the Colosseum a few days prior, this really solidified our understanding of this time period. He also gave us tips about how to learn more about Roman history and about the Gruppo Storico Romano (which is a group of history enthusists and re-enactors who are endorsed by the university's historical society and are often commissioned by the Roman government to perform gladiator fights, dances, reenactments during holiday celebrations, festivals and historical anniversaries).

Although I really enjoyed all this, I'm afraid that all the talking spilled into our training time, and I wish I had spoken up about it. Paolo taught us a few basic moves and blocks and then let us go at it (he was also kind enough to videotape our "battle" with both of our cameras and made sure we had time to take some good pictures). However, for the price (150 euros for 2 hours for the both of us), I would have liked to have spent more time training (I also thought we would be learning more maneuvers and conditioning-type work so that's why I rated this 4 out of 5). I would recommend asking about that when you email them to inquire about the schedule (I should note that GSR was very responsive to my emails when I was planning this activity, I just didn't think to ask this), and maybe bring it up before you start your session. All in all, I was very pleased with this experience and would recommend it to folks with kids or to folks who like history and want some hands-on action in the gladiator ring! As mentioned in another review, we also visited the small restaurant just up the street afterward, and had an excellent meal there. I would recommend that too:)

Visited December 2012
7 Thank AlohaGirl84
Williamsburg, Virginia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“We loved it--even without our kids!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

What a fun and informative time! First of all, we took the bus here (#218) and it took us right to the entrance! One of the other families on our trip tried to use the metro and ended up arriving 20 minutes late because they got lost. I really recommend the bus.

Our experience was led by Ulfgar, and he was funny, great with the kids and obviously very knowledgeable and informative about his Roman history. (In fact, when we arrived at the Colisseum too late to take a tour later in the day, I wasn't as disappointed, because I had learned so much at Gladiator School.) He gave a fascinating tour of their small museum and then led us through some simple gladiator moves before we had to "fight" in the arena. It was super fun, even though we had left our kids in the states!

When you leave, if you turn to the right on Appia Antica, there is a restaurant about 5 minutes walk away--in an old farmhouse on the right. We had a good meal there after working up an appetite at gladiator school.

One of the best experiences of our trip to Italy!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank sciteach07
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for kids and adults”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were in Rome in September 2012 and attended this Gladiator School with our 2 children aged 8 and 10. We had friends who had taken their 2 sons (aged 10 and 12) in August 2012 and they recommended it to us. It was a short taxi ride from our hotel. We really enjoyed the museum and hearing about the Roman soldiers, legionnaires and of course gladiators. The guide/staff were excellent. Our children were engaged the whole time, looking at the artifacts, trying on the helmets, examining the model of the roman soldier camp etc. Then there was the gladiator fighting which our 8 year son couldn't get enough of! We had a great time, probably spent 2 hours there. Definitely worth it. Would definitely recommend this experience. We are still talking about it now we are back home in Sydney, Australia.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Gillian G
Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great value, fun time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We booked this through Viator.com and it turned out to be great. We took a cab (about 15E from Venezia Sq) and arrived about a half hour before the class began. They were working on a reenactment and it was a great show...everyone was dressed up, they fought, they cheered and when it was over, one of the school's folks found us and got us signed in.

They have a small replica museum - which the instructor spent a good half hour going through the history of gladiators and the Roman army. Then because it was raining and they couldn't train in the open arena, they went in a covered area and our son had a 1.5 hr one-one lesson with the instructor.

It was great - the instructor was patient, spoke english well and worked on basic stances and moves. By the end of the lesson, our son was in a mock gladiator fight and had a massive grin on his face.

Visited October 2012