“Warning!!!”

Ranked #642 of 1,070 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Stockholm, Sweden
“Warning!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2005

Value for money? I don't think so! The staff are rude and not helpful at all, and the whole place is actually quite disgusting. If you fancy broken beds, dirty sheets and stinking toilets then this might be the place for you. The showers are dirty and smelly, the hot water was always gone, and the breakfast is a joke (super-thin slices of toast and a small plastic cup of luke-warm apple juice.. they call it "italian breakfast" on their website..)
The location is good if you want to be close to the station, but other than that this is one of the worst hostels I've stayed at. It's really quite depressing to stay here and everyone I talked to during my stay seemed to agree. For 5 euros it might be worth it, but for 25... no way.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank fajoh002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 4, 2005

I stayed at M&J Hostel last easter holiday.
Actually, the hostel was quite ok. The bedrooms and the bathrooms were clean, and the location was perfect. But it was so obvious that the receptionists have some attitude problems.
One night, when we were sleeping, suddenly one of the receptionists (i still remember her name!!) came to us and woke us up, half-yelled, and asked us to go to the lobby right away and pay the rest 2 days as we booked. (We had paid only for 1 night (but with extra charge) and haven't paid fully for 3 days as we booked, bcos when we check-in, we were still not quite sure how many days we were gonna stay. But the guy said it was ok). We understood that was our mistake, but CAN'T THEY WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING??!! WE WERE SLEEPING!!!
So Guys, better to pay more than to stay in this horrible hostel, if you don't want somebody suddenly wake you up when you are sleeping and yell at you!!

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed March 1, 2005

I have stayed at this hostel for a month now and would like to say thank you to all the fabulous people here. Staying here has been wonderful. The hostel has everything I needed and is always kept really clean. I never had a problem with security and I couldn't believe my bed was made everyday. For those travelers who want a great place to stay and enjoy some quiet time as well as some parties, you can find it here. I met so many wonderful people during my stay, I would recomend this place to anyone. Happy, safe travels to all!!!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 8, 2005

I stayed here in early March 2003-- was here for 3 nights. There is no security to speak of at this hostel-- no locks on any doors at all, so NEVER leave anything behind. It's not the cheapest nor the most expensive hostel in town, so it's definitely possible to find a better deal. The staff does not care about anyone staying there, breakfast was a pre-packaged muffin and a juice box. The sheets had clearly not been washed for awhile, and the bedspread probably never was washed, as it stunk horribly. There was no heat, and the hot water did not work. I was with 4 other girls and we were in a 6 bed room. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU CAN HELP IT! If you are used to gross hostels then you probably won't mind, but my other experiences in Europe were ALL head and shoulders better than my experience at M&J Hostel.

3 Thank MXErin
Reviewed January 19, 2005

I wouldn't recommend it. it was ok in 2002 because we we're in a private bunk, had our own RR, but stayed again in 2003..they stuck us in mixed dorm with communal baths. It was truly for the backpack travel, student. very college-like...late night hours and noise. elevator DID NOT WORK!!! i don't think it ever has...and we carried our bags 3 flights of steps. What i did like was that we we're able to keep our luggages in their luggage area for a night... and amazingly it was still there!

essex, england
Reviewed September 6, 2004

Stayed here about 3 weeks ago.
stayed in a four bed onsuite room. The other 3 people i shared with were friendly, polite and helpfull at all times.
The room was clean, shower was cold at first, but left it running for a while, and worked fine! I spoke to other people that stayed there in 8/10 people dorms, they said there showers NEVER got warm. But they said they was used to that after traveling around europe. Apart from that, they was happy with there stay!
Staff wasnt as friendly as i would of hoped, Run into some trouble with getting back to the airport on the last day, they just wasnt intrested!
Had a great bar crawl, but was made great by the guests.
i enjoyed it so much im going again in a few weeks! ill let you know what a 10 room dorm is like!

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank james4204
Reviewed May 26, 2004

I stayed at M&J hostel in march of 2004. I can't say enough!! I had a blast! Met the most interesting people ever. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. They did their very best to make you feel welcomed. Their lounge area, modest, but full of laughs. The location is excellent, right around the corner from Termini train station, and within walking distance of Rome's great attractions, Piazza Vanezia, Spanish Steps, The Collosseum. The place is kept neat. Kitchen was a reasonable size. Free internet access. I can't say enough!! I didn't want to leave. By far, the best hostel I have stayed at so far.