“Great place to stay when in Rome!”
Review of M&J Hostel

M&J Hostel
Ranked #712 of 1,100 Specialty Lodging in Rome
San Diego, California
“Great place to stay when in Rome!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Myself and a couple of friends needed an emergency place to stay for a night before we left Rome to travel back to the U.S. Mario offered us one of his suites for the night at a very reasonable price for 3 of us to stay there. Overall my experience was great, the wifi worked for me in the suite and there was also a desktop computer provided in the room as well. Left the hostel very satisfied!

Room Tip: The suite is behind the front desk is awesome!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week and it was fantastic. Only negative would be that the wifi didnt work in the rooms. Mario offered every assistance necessary and even sat down for an hour with me and shared with me his local knowledge for my trip south. If i am ever in rome again i will be staying here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Barcelona, Venezuela
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I just came from staying at the Generator Barcelona - a 5 star hostel, with amazing facilities, and only 10 euros a night - so my expectations were unfortunately quite high. When I arrived in Rome, it took me 20 minutes to find the hostel as their outside sign was so small and tatty. Bit of a shock to walk into a shabby lobby and realise the reception is upstairs. Seemed like such a rough place from the start. Got to reception, and the staff were very friendly, but I soon found out that on top of the15 plus euros a night, I had to pay room tax for every night, and leave a 10 euro key deposit. Ended up having to drop 60 euros! Had to pick up more money before I'd even started sightseeing. The room was very basic, blank dull walls, and a really shabby bathroom. The hostel had no facilities besides a seating area, and no wifi in the bedrooms. Overall, had a great time with the people I met in my room, and the staff were friendly, but the hostel was a serious dive and very over priced for the quality. Think I just had a particularly bad experience because I asked a member of staff on reception if they could transfer my photos from my SD card to my memory stick on their computer, and they didn't eject my device properly, and I lost over 200 photos from my first day in Rome, and all my Colosseum pictures :( devastated x

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jess F

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed February 1, 2014

So I've gotta say that I'm a tourism and hotels student and so I might have a dif opinion on most stuff but after 5 nights staying at the M&J Hostel in Rome, here goes:

POSITIVE:
- literally 2 min walk to Roma Termini Station (perfectly convenient!)
- easy walk to the city centre and all the important sites
- great deals with the restaurant bar downstairs which had amazing food for very cheap prices for anyone staying at M&J
- Nice and veeeery friendly staff

NEGATIVE:
- not as clean as I would expect (specially the bathroom inside the dorm - which I could never use... I used the one in the corridor... better but still not perfectly clean)
- very noisy dorm all night long (you ear the cars as if you were outside!!) that's because it's an old builing
- cold (they won't turn the heating on, not even at night)
- no internet in the rooms
- very small and also cold common area
- no lockers available in the rooms or anywhere at all

I think they could have done better with that place since it's so big...
Also there's something I should share: although I thought the owner was one of the most interesting and fun people one can meet while traveling, I like to have my own opinions and be free to express them as I wish to! So... just before I left he wanted me to write reviews on tripadvisor, facebook, like the pages and so on... so I believe most people feel embareced by doing this with him standing there and don't really write what they feel. Just an opinion! I did write this on my own anyway ;)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Sofia-P8lx
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

M&J hostel is a good hostel. The staff was really helpful and friendly! The location is awesome, right near Termini if you are coming in from Florence like I was. The central location is awesome, especially for how cheap this place is for Rome. The bathroom and bedrooms are clean!

For the love of god stop complaining about no wifi in the bedrooms! They have it in the common room! Backpackers through Europe are so damn whiny, WHY do you just want to sit in your bed and surf the Internet. Get up and go sit on the couch in the common room and socialize while you do it.. Geez

The breakfast buffet you get at the restaurant downstairs is awesome. I would gorge and then be held over until dinner (long term budget traveller here haha)..

All in all, a cool place to stay. Good location, good people, good times! Give it a shot!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2014

staffs are very helpful and friendly!!
very good location.
they have housekeepers to keep rooms and bathrooms clean everyday.
they have a good deal breakfast and meal at a cafe bar downstairs.
I recommend you to stay:)

• Stayed January 2014
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hostel does not have air conditioning, bathrooms are a little smelly.
The reception staff are very very helpful and friendly though.
The lift doesn't work so need to take the luggage all the way up to the floor you are assigned. Since the place is near the main street, its pretty noisy outside. Also the bar below the hostel is noisy. Overall I would say not the best place to live for the money you might have to shell out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo