“Great Location, bad bugs.”
Review of M&J Hostel

M&J Hostel
Ranked #642 of 1,070 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Columbia, Missouri
“Great Location, bad bugs.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I too got bed bug bites and actually saw one crawl onto my pillow. When I reported it they gave me a new room and the reception guy told the janitor to spray it with chemicals. I had become friends with my roommate though, so I warned them. When I went in to warn them I witnessed the janitor just putting new sheets over the same bed. They agreed to change the linens of the other girls in my room but didnt' seem to have a protocol for handling bedbugs, and they lied to me.

Also, breakfast for 2.5 Euros was crap - stale and hard croissant with watery juice. Don't pay for it, go across the street for some delicious grub.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have a terrible view, south side must be better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 28, 2013

everything was great.... the location, the rooms, the facilities, the staff, the atmosphere.... what i liked the most was that the staff was always ready to answer my questions and to give me advice about how to enjoy Rome! I highly recommend this hostel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We spent 2 nights here. In the end we came out with bed bug bites, and big regrets. Location is excellent, HOWEVER, for over $45 USD per dorm bed, per night, this place is bare bones at quite a cost. We so wished we had booked something on hotwire instead for example. At this price you would expect hot water, a decent smelling bathroom, and no bed bugs at the very least. Well there was no hot water, the bathroom smelled like a sewer or who knows what, and there were definitely bed bugs. Customer service was good, and the wifi was fine too. The kitchen is tiny. Highly recommend using your precious moola and staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The worst points are having the kitchen closed untill 3 pm (you should always provide the opportunity to make coffee or tea or mate! according to peoples needs, budgets or cultural habits), also the matresses having plastic!!! is noisy, uncomfortable and really bad taste. The first room I was in had awful bathroom smell, no curtains and no plugs (actually only had a really broken and dangerous one). Staff is nice, specially the spanich guy that works there in the afternoons that gives EXCELLENT advices. You get to know some costs only when you are checking in, and cleanliness I guess is good but when you have 10 people using one only bathroom it should be cleaned twice a day. Also common area should have a TV and be more interactive for guests that are travelling on their own, and mainly: having a 4 floors property, elevator is mandatory!
They don´t accept credit card saying that is really expensive for them being in Italy, but all the other italian hostels I´ve been to accepted credit card. There is a 10 euro deposit you have to make when you check in and breakfast buffet is good but 4 euro extra a day is a lot when you are getting charged 27 euro por a 10 people bedroom a night, for example.
Location is fine, and I repeat, this hostel has great potential but cheap management makes that I don´t recommend it at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived in the middle of the night & got our room straight away within reasonable price.Overall Friendly staff especially the Guy " Mario" Helped us to book our next accommodation.Definitely worth the money!

Room Tip: Choose Room no 103.. (for couples)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Greatly located hostel near the train and bus station. We were able to walk to every highlighted sight within the three nights that we were in Rome. It was appropriately priced and very budget friendly for Rome. There was free internet in the common room. The rooms were pretty crammed, much like most in Rome. There were no lockers in rooms, which is a bummer. Front desk staff had to watch your belongings behind the front desk. The mattresses were hilariously uncomfortable and still wrapped in urine-proof plastic. Front desk staff is incredibly friendly and extremely useful and knowledgeable and can be your best resource for planning your itinerary during your stay.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a smaller room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were just walk-ins with no booking arriving late in the evening, was just a few minutes walk from the central train station which was convenient. We were put in a door room for 18 euro a night, and we had huge bathroom within the room, I was happy with the hostel and can't complain about much except that there was no hot water coming thru my shower. The restaurant downstairs provides hostel guests with free pasta night we were there, well you had to buy a drink but we ate tons of pasta yum yum. Overall is was good cheap and central place to stay. And the front desk was very helpful too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple