“Maybe the best value for money"”

Hotel Villa San Pio
Ranked #83 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Brussels, Belgium
“Maybe the best value for money"”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is certainly one of the best budget-hotels I stayed in in Rome. The rooms are comfortable and tastefully decorated. The location is wonderful, peaceful and quiet, nothing indicates that you're only a few minutes afway from the city center. The continental breakfast is good, the food is tasteful and there's plenty of it. This hotel delivers everything I expect in this budget, but the real gem is the staff. They're extremely friendly and helpfull, every request is kindly fullfilled (as long as you keep it decent that is).

Would I reccomend this hotel? You bet I would.

Johan

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We recently stayed at the Villa San Pio for a full two weeks. A very decent value given Rome’s high prices. While it’s a bit of hike to the nearest Metro station, the trade-off is getting to stay in an upscale residential and relatively quiet (for Rome) neighborhood. The grounds were pretty, our room nice, the staff largely (see below) friendly and helpful, and the guests-only restaurant decent. My only criticisms would be (a) the WiFi in the lobby worked fine, but we could never get it to function in our room (possibly due to our own technical inadequacies), (b) the continental breakfast was fine, but it was literally the same every day, and (c) the night clerk was a bit gruff. All in all, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed here for three nights in May 2010. It is in a great location close to the Colloseum and in a very nice, fairly quiet neighborhood. You can walk to all major attractions. The room was pretty big for Europe and ours had a huge terrace. Bathroom was big and updated. Bed was big but a bit hard for my tastes. Breakfast was included and was good-continental type. The staff was helpful and friendly. They have a car that will take you to the airport for Euro 55 which we used as it was an early flight. Taxis from airport to center are fixed price Euro 60 and to airport from center are Euro 40. Taxis to major attractions if you don't want to walk are not too bad from the hotel-E10- E20 I would say. I would stay here again in a second. The neighborhood doesn't have alot of traffic going past it and there are many restaurants within a 10-15 minute walk. The place is a bit pricey but that's Rome and you can't beat the location and cleanliness. If you have your own laptop internet is free but if you use their computer it's Euro 5 per hour which is robbery.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Redmond, WA
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We just returned from 9 days in Italy and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. It was so quiet and peaceful (in contrast to where we stayed in Florence, where we had to wear ear plugs). We had a room with a balcony and a beautiul marble bathroom. (Hair dryer was weak, bring your own if you have long or thick hair!) The breakfast was by far the best, with ample amounts of protein. And a beautiful garden room or patio to eat on. As other reviewers have noted, it is a bit hard to find. We did alot of walking!! Used bus #23 to get to the Vatican but did not have much luck finding the bus back late at night, so walked. Call or email early to get the best deal. We booked in March for the end of April and paid 224 E for the first night, and 165 E for the second night (triple room). The gal at reception said they change their rates weekly, and if they are filling up they charge a higher rate. Enjoy!

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This hotel was a real 'find'. It is in a peaceful location on the Aventino hill, close to the Colosseum and Forum and with stunning views from the hilltop over the Tiber and Vatican.
The hotel is a series of magnificent villas interspersed by tranquil gardens. The service was excellent and the restaurant a delight. I stayed during the 'volcanic ash' flight disruption and had to book 2 extra nights after checking out. This was no problem and the hotel was able to rebook me with minimum fuss.
If I go back to Rome, this is where I will stay!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Bay Area
Reviewed April 18, 2010

You will be fine at the Hotel Villa San Pio and on top of that you will be very happy. We were stuck in the ash cloud scenario leaving Lake Como and were scheduled to be flying through Munich. We made the call to go to Rome and got hooked with this hotel. At 150 Euros, it is not cheap...but nothing in Rome is. If you want cheap...you'll get it because Rome is like NYC and every other major city in the world where it is going to be expensive.

What you get for 150 Euros is:

1. VERY good and friendly service. In the midst of this ridiculous ash cloud fiasco (the airlines want to fly and have proven they can and Eurocontrol is trying to do something bizarre), the staff here is dealing with people leaving, coming back, booking and not being able to show up...yet they are still friendly, helpful and informative without being frustrated t all.

2. Location: Wanna walk to the Forum? Check. Wanna walk to the Colosseum? Check. Wanna walk to Trastevere? Check. The Avantine is a GREAT neighborhood and it's quiet and you can get anywhere. Not for everyone, but we also walked to The Vatican, and as far as Piazza Poppolo and the Spanish Steps. Great location.

3. Rooms: Clean. Clean. And Clean. With great beds, and decent space for a European hotel.

All in, this is absolutely a place I would recommend and would have no problem sending almost anyone here (don't end your friends that have no issue paying Four Seasons type pricing here. It's not that you can't...you could and most would find the place just fine. But don't expect Rita, Four Seasons at a place like this.) What you are getting is way above the star rating the San Pio has probably received.

Awesome breakfast. For Americans this probably big deal. Yep, unbelievably...it's free (like most rates in Europe it includes breakfast) and it's pretty solid. Yogurt, fresh fruit, juices...plenty of water (something that is hard to get in Europe) and the rest of the pastry family.

BONUS: If you are a runner, there is a great run from here that takes you through the Avantine and out towards the Forum and up to the Colosseum. Really good 30-60 minute runs from this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambodia
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Well - - I created the phrase "When in Rome I chose only to stay at the Villa San Pio" ! That was after my 3rd or 4th time staying here - last year. I have just spent 5 nights at the San Pio and I am happy to report that the standards are still high, the leafy location superb and the staff most helpful and attentive ! I still love it ! Oh - and the breakfasts remain varied and plentiful. The breakfast coffee - dark and rich ! And nobody minds when I sneak a sweet croissant from the warmer, on departing breakfast - to have with my 11am coffee at work ! And the added bonus since my last trip - the Internet (cable supplied) is now free !

Special mention to staff member "Rita". I arrived late on a wet and cold Sunday night. And was put in room 302 that resembled a "honeymoon suite" being a massive ?king? size bed and very little floor space ! Next morning, on request to the lovely Rita, I was moved to room 285 - largish single bed and lots of room - so I can work at the desk, with garden views ! She was so helpful - finding me a room where I could sleep well AND work. Lovely lady.

There have been a few negative comments re surly staff. I find them all ever-attentive and ever-smiling. From cleaners to desk staff to concierges. Always there at the gate - to give a big "hello" or "goodbye". Never a surly one to be found !

So - I will be back, as soon as possible to continue monitoring this gem of a hotel. This trip - it scored 4.5 out of 5, in my estimation ! Thanks - the Villa San Pio !

The cat