“Fabulous Place!”

Hotel Villa San Pio
Ranked #77 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week while in a meeting in Rome. This is such a nice place hidden in the Aventino area. It has gorgeous patio with lemon, orange trees. Really beautiful place. The room I stayed was not big but very comfortable. Internet worked fine most of the time, except a couple times. Breakfast is good with good variety of options. The staff is very courteous and always ready to help. The location of the hotel is off any main road which makes it a quiet place to be, but also easy to access as the train station or bus stops are just minutes walking. The hotel is also minutes walking from FAO, the Colosseum and other interesting places. When I stayed there the restaurant was not open (I think they will open sometime soon) so except for breakfast had to go for lunch and dinner somewhere else, but again there are so many options close by that it was not a problem at all. I will go back with my family next time, I am sure my wife and kids will love the place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comment.
The staff and I are glad to know you appreciate your stay with us and also the services received. We take particular attention to the breakfast we serve in our garden because we think the breakfast is the first and important step to start a good day in the city.
You are right, our hotel is very close to the Fao and Colosseum and the most interesting sightseeing and it’s a nice place to have a getaway.
We’ll wait for you and your family to enjoy another great stay in our hotel Villa S. Pio.
Looking forward to see you

Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I enjoyed my one-night stay at the Hotel Villa San Pio. The facility itself is stunning and well cared for; the lobby is beautiful, the courtyard, patio and conservatory where breakfast is served are also a delight. My room was small and without a view, but since I was there for just one night that was no issue. Had I been staying longer I would have sought out different accomodations within the hotel.

I found the staff to be very accomodating too. They gave me directions to the city center, answered any questions I had and, when I forgot something in the room after I checked out, they were kind enough to have it waiting for me when I dashed back in to pick it up.

If I have any issue with the hotel it might be the cost, which I found to be a bit steep for the off season.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kimberly C
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Kimberly
Thank you very much for your nice comment.
Our hotel Villa S. Pio, located on the top of the exclusive Aventino hill, is surrounded by nice gardens where you can enjoy a wonderful view of the eternal city. Too bad you didn’ t have time to stay more with us to enjoy a nice room with the view through the city.
We serve our breakfast in our comfortable gazebo located in the garden where you can start the day with a good and continental buffet breakfast.
We do have different rooms, some smaller then the others but all of them are comfortable and well furnished and cared.
Our staff take care of our guests helping them to find directions, restaurants and to solve any kind of request.

We suggest always to look on our official website (www.aventinohotels.com) where you can find some good deals and special offers.

Looking forward to your next visit in the eternal city.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel is very quiet and tranquill. The neighbourhood of this hotel is classic Italian with old ocre-coloured villa's and pinetrees. My room had a balcony to complete the romantic feeling.
However, I was on a businesstrip (the hotel is close to the FAO headquarters) and it is conventient for businesstravelers as well, with free WiFi, and a desk. What was missing though were sockets for electric plugs...
The breakfast room is spacious and there is enough choice. They make really good espresso for you. Just down the road there is a quaint restaurant with good Italian food for a good price.
The Metro (Circo Massimo) is 10 mins walk and takes to anywhere in Rome, the central train station is a couple of minutes by metro. I took the train from the airport (30 mins) and then the metro. Much easier than getting stuck in traffic with a taxi.
I can recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Try to avoid rooms on the ground floor as they might not have a windo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear guest
Thank you very much for having explained so clearly your experience with us and also for advise of other potential guests.
Refering to the object of your comment, as a matter of fact Woody Allen, during his serch for a good location of his last movie,
Our hotel Villa S. Pio is located in the exclusive residential area of Aventino hill and for that reason is quiet and out of the Roman traffic but in the meantime near to the most interesting sightseeing, Coliseum, Roman forum, Plaza Venezia,Circo Massimo.
We do have different rooms and some of them are with balcony where you can have a nice view of the city.
All the rooms are well furnished and in all the hotel there’s free WiFi and internet with cable, it’s easy to get the connection and be update every day.
We serve buffet continental breakfast in a gazebo which is comfortable and spacious. Our barmen make a good Italian espresso and a tasty cappuccino.....which best way to start the long day around the eternal city?
Just few steps from our hotels there’s the famous district of Testaccio full of particular and typical roman restaurants.

Looking forward to see you again

Reviewed November 26, 2012

There is an uncomfortable discrepancy between the over-done antique show furniture that fills this hotel in an almost laughable fashion, and then the actual feeling of what it is like to stay here. The front desk, as noted by other reviewers, is staffed by officiously efficient people who push up against the definition of just plain rude. In the bar and breakfast area, on the other hand, the waiters are excessively friendly and get in the way of privacy. The breakfast itself is mediocre. And the breakfast room is overrun with the large, loud tour groups that seem to favor this hotel. It is pleasant in the early evening to sit in the garden and have a glass of wine, but that's all. The room I was given was very small and neither particularly comfortable nor clean. The cleaning staff itself is inconsiderate in the extreme. When I returned to my room each day around 5pm for a nap, my room was still not made up and when I complained I then had to wait while the maid did her job. Early mornings outside my room, even as early as 7 a.m. cleaning staff would assemble and bang furniture around. Not sure what the point of this hotel is. I was glad to leave.

Room Tip: Do what I should have done. Go back to the front desk and tell them you won't stay in the room...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael W
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Michael from California,

It's such a pity to read that you were happy to leave Rome, because, Rome can create unforgettable emotions and desire to stay absorbed in history and charm. Probably, we assume that you were not in the right mood to enjoy what our hotel has to offer, since, almost nothing you enjoyed during your stay, and we are sorry about it. The point of our hotel ( I am explaining, just because, it was asked) is to offer in the centre of Rome, surrounded by the archeological sites, the atmosphere of the Roman Villa, in a very exclusive and prestigious neighborhood, with a lush and relaxing garden, personalized baroque rooms and the warm feeling of a " Home away from Home " .
Our antique furnitures, that you disliked are a precious and added value to our property, that we offer generously to the sight and to the contemplation of our valued guests, while roaming around in the hotel.
The wooden and golden chandelier, the antique chest, the grandfather’s clock, the Chinese carpets , the antique paintings, the marble chimney decorated frame, the huge murano chandelier in the gazebo and all various decorative ornaments are part of our family collection, which we are very proud of, and we are happy to display in memory of old times !
Regarding the reception staff, I am sorry, if you had the impression that they were rude and not as friendly as the bar staff. But, probably, because, it’s their daily task and their problem solving process is much more complicated , dealing often with strikes, lost luggage, pick pocketing problems or basically other problems related to billing issues or reservations, which needs efficiency and concentration.
Sorry to contradict you, but our hotel does not accept the “groups of series “ especially, because, it’s impossible, for the big tour buses to reach the hotel, since, we are very close to the major archeological sites and buses are not allowed. The breakfast area, sometimes, can be noisy and loud, as friends gather together happily to enjoy their morning break during their vacation.
Being a “ city hotel” and not a “ resort hotel “ ,usually guest leave early in the morning and come back late at night after a full day of sightseeing, therefore, our cleaning service occurs from 8.30am to 5 pm. It would have been possible to clean the room in a different time at your convenience , if we were asked.
I apologize for the noise in the hall in front of your room and I understand that it can be very annoying and uncomfortable and definitely we will take immediate action to correct the behavior of our housekeeping staff.
The room given to you was a bit small compared to other ones, but that was the reason why you enjoyed a special rate with breakfast, which is good deal in high season.

Anyhow, hopefully, we cleared all your queries and sorry again for all the inconveniences you have experienced.

Best regards

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Away from crowds in a safe quiet part of the city, yet close to the colosseum and a nice 20-30 minute walk to other main sites like the trevi fountain and the pantheon. The breakfast buffet was delicious and with lots of variety to please many tastes. The staff was friendly and available for all questions. The hotel is beautifully decorated with an antique feel. If you book a month or more in advance you get a discount. I would also look at prices at different times of the year because they can vary quite a bit. I would definitely return.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Domfas
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear guest,
it’s a pleasure for us to read such a beautiful comment. We appreciate you liked your stay in our hotel Villa S. Pio.
if you have the chance to book in advance you can really appreciate the competitive rates.
As a matter of fact, the best solution is to book as quicker as possible because you can have our best prices and also a nice room. we do have different type of rooms of course if the reservation is made in advance you can also have one of the nicest.
The staff and I are very pleased to know you appreciate our services and our help in finding your way in the busy Rome.
Hope to see you for your next visit in the eternal city.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here in August during our Honeymoon. We had our own balcony which we drank wine on late nights and the hotel also has a terass. It was very clean and had beautiful surroundings. The area was safe and nice. We recommend Pizzeria San Remo that is nearby, the best pizza we have ever tasted!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ester R
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Ester
Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel Villa S. Pio and we are happy you remember us after 3 months!
It’s nice to know you appreciated our hotel and our service during your special occasion here in Rome.
We always make the best to satisfy all the request and to make each stay unforgettable.
Our rooms with balcony or terrace are the top selling rooms and are good to enjoy a cocktail or a drink after a long stay around the eternal city, especially if it’s too warm as in August.
Thank you again for your visit and hope to see you in the future

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked this hotel for a 5 day stay as it is close as it is close to my aunt's flat. We found this an ideal base - close enough to walk to a lot of the main attractions, but in a quiet area of Rome. The staff were all very helpful and friendly, and the breakfast provided a good start to the day.

The hotel doesn;t provide evening meals, but gave great advice re local restaurants, and we weren't disappointed with any of the recommendations, most being traditional roman trattorias.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel Villa San Pio, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Nigel,
Thank you for posting such wonderful reviews!
The staff and I are very pleased to know that the service received during your stay meet your expectation. This encourage us to do always the best for our clients!
We are glad you had a great and unforgettable experience with us.

Looking forward to your next visit in Rome.