“Great value, but not so great for everything else”

Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel
Ranked #120 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 18, 2009

This is a hike from Termini, if you have a lot of luggage take a cab and make sure they run the meter (the taxi driver tried to charge me €25 for a 3 minute cab ride). Easy to get to public transport and walk to termini if you don't have a lot to carry. I paid €45 a night, which I think is a great deal for a room in Rome. The room was clean, but the bathroom had mildew and the shower didn't drain quickly and there is no safe. Wireless was available for €7 for 48 hours but only works reliably in the lobby or first floor. Also, international phone cards don't work in the room. The flat screen TV is nice and has a lot of channels, however almost all are in Italian. My room faces the courtyard so it's very quiet, apart from other hotel-goers coming and going. I would recommend this place overall if you don't mind staying in a less than perfect hotel. I felt safe and comfortable. If you want a romantic getaway, this is not the place. However, if you plan on just using your room for sleeping and showering and spend the rest of your time experiencing Rome, this is a great value.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 30, 2009

Poor location far from any attractions which you have to reach by taxi or public transport (a trip to St. Peter's takes almost one hour by tram), definitely not the safest and not the most beautiful area of Rome with a lot of graffiti. No fridge in the room which is very inconvenient during summer months especially with a view of an air conditioner which created a lot of noise but almost no cool air, water drainage from shower basin was not working properly and there was always dirty water in the shower. And hotel staff was really rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Oleg84
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Stayed here for one night in early Sept. My first impression of the area was that it looked depressed. Lots of graffiti and tagging. Never felt unsafe, though. Walked to hotel from the Termini. The hotel was like an oasis in a desert. Well cared for and tended courtyard in front. Room was beautifully decorated. Bathroom was larger than some I've been in but showering was messy with just a hand held nozzle and a small splash partition that didn't help much. Staff was pleasant and helpful with dining recommendations. Breakfast was basic with espresso, slice meats and cheeses, pastries and rolls. Not a bad deal for the price.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2007

This hotel is really bad. The pictures are very deceptive. They said the room had a balcony and a safe and it had neither and it was so tiny that you could barely move around. The shower was 2 feet by 2 feet and flooded when you took a bath. They could remove the bidet and enlarge the shower!! The airconditioner stopped working and when we told them, they came and meddled with it and shrugged and said that they could not do anything - this in August when Rome is unbearably hot. The staff does not smile and are rather abrupt and not at all helpful. The iron that they gave leaked water on the bed and they did not bother to even dry it! Breakfast was not good and coffee was lousy so we had to ask for tea. All in all, a lousy hotel for the value.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank iloveVT
Reviewed July 20, 2007

I was very disappointed with this hotel. My friend and I book two single rooms for 4 nights. First of all the location is not ideal, in the university district of Rome. While the bus stop is only a few minutes walk, the buses are extremely congested and most people just push u out of their way. In fact one day I couldnt even get out at my stop. Also u must change to the metro after 3 stops. The room was tiny and very shabby. It didnt even have a window just a door in. When u woke up in the morning it felt as if you were in the middle of the night. The bed was uncomfortable, the floor was dirty, and the hairdryer didn't work. The bathroom was old, dirty and flooded into the bed room after a shower!! The airconditioning was very noisy and not very effective. Breakfast was first come first served so if u got up late most of the food was eaten. The service was also not very good. After our dinner one night we came back at 10.30 and asked reception for a drink at the bar, and they very rudely said it was closed. Also on checking out i realised I lost my flight reference no and asked reception if i could download it off my email. He said computers were for staff only and suggested an internet cafe five mins away eventhough my taxi was outside! I have nothing nice to say about this hotel only the front of the hotel looks pretty - which isvery deceptive though.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shaneo23
Reviewed July 8, 2007

I was very reluctant to book a hotel that did not have a review on tripadvisor, but I decided to take a risk.

As I walked from the Termini Station following my mapquest directions, the neighborhood seemed to be getting more and more seedy (dodgy). And, yes, when I was only one block away, I was planning on turning around, losing the money, and moving on to a different hotel. I'm glad that I did not.

Though the Hotel S. Lorenzo Maria is in a bit of a rougher area than I might be accustomed to, I've actually grown quite fond of my roost for the past few days.

The hotel is immaculately clean, very nicely decorated, the staff was excellent, the cleaning staff was even more friendly. The pictures on the official website aren't fake. It's really quite that nice. True, you have to take a tram or bus to get here (it's not really walkable from the Termini--and certainly not recommended as the neighborhood between here and there isn't great), I really think that this is a great deal. For a very reasonable price, I've been able to stay a ten minute tram ride from the Coliseum and the amenities are quite nice... wireless internet, cable tv, plenty of hot water, good air conditioning, breakfast, and a charming property with lots of character.

If you're not comfortable with cities and a bit of grit is going to cause you alarm, this isn't the place for you. But if you're the sort of person who is comfortable with the realities of an urban setting (and can deal with taking the tram/bus), you could really like it here and save a lot of money.

I really liked it here and would certainly come back. Would I come back with mom? Hmm. Mom would probably like a bit more curb appeal.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank djhcwctr
Reviewed October 28, 2005

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The reception area was very nice as was the bar, Breakfast was ok but on the second morning of our stay we were a little late getting down, I asked the small female waiter if there were more cheese and was quite roughly informed thet the german bus party had eaten it all and there was only the processed cheese left.
The bedroom was a place to sleep only, the shower was a disgrace and mould all over it and lower part was a health hazzard.
My wife only wore her slippers in the bedroom and the soles were filthy which showed that the marble floors had possibly been swept but definatly now mopped down. Staff on reception were very helpful but I think they all have forgotten how to smile. The hotel is no way 800 metres more like 3 kilometres from Termini.
The area is very quiet but we didnt fell threatened in anyway. The Arancia Blu is a must just a 2 minute walk behind the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005