“Best staff ever !!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
haifa
“Best staff ever !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is always a warm greeting and how can we be of assistance? This was the most professional staff we at any of the places.The food each morning was traditional Italian breakfast with meats, cheeses, fruit, pastry, and of course cafe.The tram and bus stops are close by - get a map from the hotel, ask a few questions about places you wan to go and get going. The neighborhood around the hotel does not look good, but the area was safe!!! . There are some empty buildings and graffiti, but this does not reflect badly on the hoteL !!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simcha21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Redmond, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with an eastern Mediterranean cruise. We flew into Rome two days early and stayed at the Villa San Lorenzo Maria. Antonio and Pino were wonderful and made us feel very welcome. The room was lovely and SO quiet. The breakfast each morning was great. I've been raving to all my friends about the wonderful service we received!

I echo what other reviewers have said - the hotel is not located in the most picturesque area of Rome, but it is close to transit and the service and charm MORE than made up for the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer K
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This charming, welcoming, first class little hotel we give a 5 Star rating for its management and staff, its charm and comfort. Villa San Lorenzo is what made our Roman Holiday truly great!

We arrived at the hotel early, having traveled from the U.S. -- about 8:30am -- and were warmly greeted by Antonio Miranda, the Manager, himself. Clearly we had arrived many hours earlier than normal check-in time, and were weary from our trip. Antonio seated us in the lovely courtyard and personally brought us the very best cafe lattes that we have EVER had! -- plus a fresh croissant - I'm sure the best in the world. :-) And he sat with us and was so helpful orienting us to Rome, the area around the hotel, and how to get to every place we wanted to go. Within less than a half hour our room was ready! And we quickly learned our way around - thanks to Antonio. Within a day we were expert at navigating by tram and subway . . . and always appreciated coming back to the wonderful and warm environment that Antonio and his staff have created at Villa San Lorenzo.

The tram is 3-4 minutes away; and there is a fabulous grocery market at the end of the block - 2 minutes away.

I was in Rome for a conference, and we extended our stay for a week to experience this amazing city. We will definitely return to Villa San Lorenzo on our next trip to Roma.

Antonio is exceptionally gifted in guest relations and hotel management. Watching him welcome and assist each and every hotel guest -- always with a smile and obvious personal concern and care -- illustrates what 'first class' looks like in hotel management and guest relations. One personal example is that the last night of our stay we learned that our airline had split our reservation and we were not able to find one of our reservations online to check in. Then the hotel server was down so we didn't have internet. Antonio made his personal computer available to all of the hotel guests who needed to check in online; and he personally contacted us in our room to ask how he could help regarding the lost reservation. At that point he had been at the hotel for more than twelve hours . . . was calling to see if he could help further, and let us know that he was going to go home if there was nothing more he could do -- and that he'd be back at 7am the next day. Our travel agent found the lost reservation - and we were then able to check in online the next morning - using Antonio's computer. If anyone ever wants to know what "going above and beyond for the customer" and "first class hotel management" look like -- it looks like Antonio Miranda.

Thank you Antonio and all of your wonderful Staff!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TripleV_13
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although I travel regularly and rely on tripadvisor, this is my first review. I have not had an experience that was so awfully bad that I felt the need to warn others away or an experience that was so awfully good that I wanted to give a strong recommendation.

My stay at the Villa San Lorenzo Maria in May 2013 definitely falls into the latter category. I selected the hotel because it was close to a conference I was attending at the university and because of the very good reviews I had read on tripadvisor. I stayed several days after the conference in order to do some sightseeing. What I have to say largely reiterates what has already been noted about the hotel - nice rooms, good breakfast (and cappuccinos!), good value, a tram that is a 3-minute walk from the hotel and a supermarket just around the corner (I bought water and fruit before heading out on my sightseeing days). As several reviewers have noted, the neighborhood is not an affluent one and has a lot of graffiti, which is not so pleasant to see. But my experience was like many of the others who said that they always felt safe both in the day and at night.

What set the hotel apart for me was the quality of staff. I had the most contact with Antonio and he is without a doubt the very best manager I have come across. He was exceptionally helpful with suggestions for the sightseeing days - where to go (and where to avoid), when to go, how to get there via public transportation, etc.

Regarding transportation, I was concerned that I would lose a lot of time getting to the main sights of Rome because of staying in a hotel that was outside the city center. I was happy that this was not the case. With easy access to the tram, buses and subway, I could get to most places I wanted to go within 30 minutes.

In sum, I highly recommend this hotel because of the nice rooms, good value and especially because of the first-rate service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Brian,

Thank you for your fantastic review about theHotel Villa San Lorenzo, we couldn't have asked for better feed back and would like to take the time to thank you sincerely for your wonderful review. It is so nice to receive such kind comments and it indicates our team of dedicated staff are working hard to ensure your stay is the best it possibly can be. We are delighted you had a lovely stay and do hope to see you again soon in the future so we can deliver the same great standard of service.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Just came back from Rome, after I have spent a week there...I walk-up this morning and I thought I was still in my hotel room in Villa San Lorenzo Maria, in Rome...The hotel has the best service ever, the staff was very friendly and happy to help at all times, the hotel looks inside and outside, like in a fairy tale, the rooms are lovely, warm colours, old fashion furniture, and the perfect ambient made by the people who work at Villa San Lorenzo Maria. The food was perfect, fresh and best quality italian food. All the staff were lovely, two receptionists which were more than helpful, Antonio and Gianfranco, as I can only remember their names, but also, and old gentleman which I forgot his name and another receptionist with bold hair, they all made me feel like at home, along with the housekeeping team, where they used to make the room every day to look like it was just like when I have checked in, and the two asian guys from the breakfast they gave me the best espresso ever. I would recommend this hotel to everyone...as I have stayed in many hotels in Rome, where I have paid more...but I can say that there is no such a hotel in Rome like Villa San Lorenzo Maria!!!!! Looking forward to come back!!! Thank you, to the whole staff at via San Lorenzo Maria. From George, with love, from Inghilterra (United Kingdom-London)!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Le suite angolari sono spaziose e soleggiate!!! Everything is fantasticcccccccccccccc only at Villa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear George,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel and it is particularly rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback.
We will certainly share your comments with the team. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you're ever in Rome this is the best, and best value, hotel for miles. Goodness, was it a find. An old aristocratic villa [lots of space] with a comfortable bed, good pillows, excellent hot water [free shower stuff, shampoo and soap], quiet [no street noise and no noise from guests, either] pleasant shaded area to sit outside [as in picture], a continental breakfast with as much as you want of fruit, juices, cold meat and cheese, croissants, bread, cake, jam, coffee, more coffee . . . and really friendly staff who speak good English. So helpful - I'd mislaid my toothbrush at the airport and they presented me with a new one in minutes. AND there's a little supermarket two doors down with everything you might want for lunch or to take out for the day. AND it's close to Termini Station [older visitors like myself might like to take a cab]. It doesn't get much better than that. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback and having taken the time to share your experience. We appreciate the compliments on the level of service provided by our hotel staff. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to your new Rome home, we send you our warmest regards.

Auckland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here because we were swayed by the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, but this is one of the few times when our experience did not match the reviews. What a disappointment coming from the lovely Residenza del Duca in Amalfi to this hotel.

We stayed 2 nights in April. We walked from Termini to the hotel (a 25 minute walk through pleasant surroundings). The person at the desk was unwelcoming. We did not like the decor of our room (gloomy and dark), although this could be to someone else's taste. The bathroom was old and needing refurbishment.

Breakfast was ok, but staff rushed about frantically to replenish the food, and we did not experience the kind of friendly service we had at other hotels (such as Residenza del Duca in Amalfi and Hotel Milano in Verona).

The location was the worst thing about this hotel. Sure there is a tram 5 minutes walk away, but there were long waiting times and they were packed to the brim whenever we wanted to use them (great conditions for pick pockets to operate). Who wants to spend their precious holiday time in Rome waiting for public transport?

Because the surrounding areas outside the hotel were unpleasant, we disliked going out at night in search of something to eat or drink, and we disliked walking home in the dark. Unfortunately there was no coffee/tea making facilities in the room.

We previously stayed at the Filippo Hotel, Arena Guest House, and the Beehive, these are all walking distance to the major sights of Rome. Save yourself time and transport money and stay in one of these better options.

Unfortunately we regretted staying in this hotel, and would not choose it again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple