“Awsome hotel!”

Ranked #122 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
zaandam
“Awsome hotel!”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in Villa San Lorenzo Maria for 11 days in room 406.

The hotel is located in San Lorenzo, a lovely part of Rome. You won't see many tourists there, but mostly young, alternative people of all sorts. There's graffiti everywhere (although not all of it can be considered art ;)), you can find some really cool design and vintage shops there as well. On and around via dei Volci there are a lot of nice bars and restaurants where you get good value for money, and the food is just great. A big plus was that the waiters don't try to lure you in, but on the other hand, because San Lorenzo is not at all tourist-oriented, the bartenders/waiters don't speak English very well. What we liked a lot was having a drink in the square near the church. People gather there in the evening to have a drink together, and don't be surprised if you find yourself in the middle of a spontaneous jam-session. Getting from San Lorenzo to the city centre is just a short walk to the tram station (5 mins) and a short tram ride to termini (10 mins).

As for the hotel, we loved it! The rooms are decorated just as on the pictures of the hotel website. We stayed in a small triple room for 66 euro's a night (!). The room had a small balcony and was big enough for two, but rather small if you would stay there with three people. The beds were very comfortable and big. The shower was quite small, but it was ok. The room was clean and all the staff were really nice and helpfull. Wifi was free, just ask for a code at the reception. Breakfast was simple, but good enough, although we preferred getting some fresh bread at the supermarket next to the hotel and a coffee at the coffee-bar opposite to the supermarket.

All in all I had a great stay in the hotel and San Lorenzo itself. I would recommend staying in Villa San Lorenzo Maria to everyone who would like to stay in Rome, but avoid all the tourists, overpriced hotels and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We were delighted that we met your expecations in so many ways. It was our pleasure to look after you during this time in Rome. We have also passed on your kind words to the team.
In our breakfast, we offer the option to take the coffee at our buffet or to have it served directly from our bar without asking any extra.
With warmest regards and best wishes.

Famiglia Piroli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I really don't know what to say about this hotel all the things that were negative were also positive........We were outside the historic city, this was a pain, working out buses feeling vulnerable on our first day as the area does not instill confidence but then being outside the city we also found fantastic places to eat and felt as if we were in the real Rome not just the tourist Rome.
Our room was pretty, the bed heads were lovely the beds comfy and the furniture atmospheric the bathroom was a disaster.........my daughter refused to bathe for 3 days and the toilet leaked
It did need a good scrub and redoing but then they would not charge you 63 euros a night for 3 with breakfast which I have to say was as good as any other we have eaten in Italy. The staff were lovely really helpful and charming.
The was a great supermarket just next to the hotel which was useful and buses and trams too...
Next time I go to Rome I might be lazy and find a hotel right in the center though, but I will never go in August again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vi0let17
FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your stay in Villa San Lorenzo Maria.
We are glad to hear that in general your experience regarding the room and the service received was good.
We do apologize for the disappointment for our bathroom and reassure you that we have personally discussed the points you raised with our heads of department. As a result they have taken the necessary steps to make sure that similar incidents will not be repeated in the future.
We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome.

Yours sincerely
Famiglia Piroli
Limerick
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Good points- nice front garden to relax in with coffee (chairs made of metal so get very hot by 11)
Free WiFi
Confortable bed
Clean- dedicated cleaning staff
Charming decor
Supermarket right next door

Bad Points- area full of graffetti and homeless (intimidating for me as i was a solo female traveller)
Shower that leaked everytime i had a shower.
Dark room
Tv with no english channel- every hotel i have stayed in all over the world offered at least one english channel- e.g sky news
Having to get a new password for wifi every 24 hrs
Breakfast was the same every day- no variety

Staff- ironically the nicest receptionist i encountered was when i was checking out. He rang a taxi for me to bring me to colleagues hotel and opened the breakfast room 10 minutes early for me to have a quick bite before getting taxi.
Other staff were down right rude- even in basic 2 star hotels... staff say hello, thank you ect.
They gave off the impression that any request or question was an inconvenience.
I was at a conference in the university which meant unpredictable social engagements after the conference. I came back one night at 12 midnight to be given out to for not leaving in my key- i was never informed that i had to leave in my key. I assume this is a safety thing and i would happily oblige if i knew. Some evenings after the conference i had to return to hotel to just leave in the key which was 1km walk there and back. Another evening i came home early from the conference (because i was too tired for the round trip again) and decided to have a drink at the bar before retiring. I wanted to pay for the drink in cash with the exact money (€5) but was told gruffly that it had to be put on the room bill.

One other thing to note is that the key had the name of the hotel and your room number on it which in terms of safety, isnt up to scratch, which is prehaps why they make you put in your key at night.

Overall, as i was there for a conference trip with a few days sight seeing, it served its purpose but it upsets me to think a beautiful gem of a hotel could be let down by small things.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear customer,we thank you for your remarks will be our cure check with staff direcly what happened.Kind Regads
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel made me sick. Old rooms and bad smell in the rooms. Bathrooms are eternallyl wet and something is growing at the roof. Service was friendly but not the best one and reservation wishes were not honoured.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

FamigliaPiroli, Proprietario at Villa San Lorenzo Maria Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to your stay.kind regads
Piraeus, Attiki, Greece
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The room I was given had a window facing a wall! When I complained at the man at the front desk, he said that I didn't write in my reservation that I wanted a balcony!!!
The next morning I requested to change the room, another man at the front desk said he had no room available. I said then I won't stay in this room and I would go to another hotel, he answered "I don't care"!!!!! I couldn't believe in my ears.
As I packed my luggage and came down, the receptionist or whatever his title is, didn't share a word with me but printed my bill for the night. Apparently he would sell the room to a next poor guest!
I left the hotel the same morning and found a hotel nearby with cheaper price! I wouldn't pay 74 Euros to see a wall from my window!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Evelyn K
we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Kind regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is in the rundown area of San Lorenzo, which is about 30 minutes on the 571 bus from the Colosseum, or a hair-raising and expensive 10 minute taxi ride away from Termini statzione.

Bad points:
The air conditioning units are very loud in all of the rooms.
The walls are very thin. You can hear people's TV's, toilets, a/c units and talking. This is especially so in the main part of the hotel. The courtyard rooms suffer less.
Check-out is at 11am.

Good points:
It's good value for money.
It's clean.
The showers are old fashioned but powerful.
It's set back from the road, so outside noise is virtually non-existent (unheard of in Rome).
The outside areas are pleasant.
It has an easy-going atmosphere.

Other stuff:
The hotel has two sides - if you are lucky, your room will be in the courtyard (ask for a courtyard room), where the rooms are spacious and the air is very cool. The bathroom isn't massive but it was fine for one person. Everything was clean. The bed was large and comfortable, with fresh linen. This room was on just the right side of shabby chic, but in 2-3 years will need a total re-decoration.

The other room I had was absolutely tiny, on the 4th floor. It was decorated in a very odd dark blue, with a huge, ornate wardrobe and a single bed. After a while it became cosy but it is not suitable for longer than one night.

The breakfast was fine - basic bread and sweet croissants, with ham, cheese and a boiled egg. Tea, coffee and (not freshly squeezed) fruit juices were available, plus cereal and yogurts.

The staff weren't particularly welcoming or friendly, but if you keep a smile on your face and remain calm, they do help you and offer to book taxi's, tell you the way to the bus & tram stops etc.

Don't stay if you're expecting luxury, high end service or a well-heeled neighbourhood.
Do stay if you don't mind being a bit out of town, in a slightly dubious neighbourhood, in a shabby-ish but fundamentally cheap hotel. It does what it says on the tin.

Room Tip: Always ask for the courtyard rooms.