New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Acropoli

Hotel Acropoli
Ranked #1,138 of 1,287 Hotels in Rome
Calgary, Canada
“Wouldnt stay here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Got stuck here because our other hotel cancelled our reservations. So rather than spend valuable time finding a good hotel, we walked next door and stayed here. However, for 80 euro's a night we got absolutely nothing in the room except beds. No hair dryers, no plug ins for shaving etc. All we got in the bathroom was mold like you wouldn't believe. Room 105 we stayed in, and it was very dirty. Only gave it 2 because it helped us out, but will never stay here again. The front desk staff was nice though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DutchMachine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Selangor, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Up side of the hotel is that it only takes 2minutes to reach the main Termini station. Staff that are able to speak all sorts of languages. The lobby definitely shocked us with the elegance and decorative area. After leaving the lobby, everything was a disappointment. The rooms were tiny, 3 single beds next to each other, leaving absolutely no space to walk! Bathrooms were definitely a let down too, minute shower area, not even enough space to bend down to wash your legs! Water pressure is poor too. Breakfast was awful. All we got was a basket of cold hard bread, jam, chocolate spread and coffee served by the waitresses. I don't even think waiteresses are needed. They need to consider those weak points.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dubna, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel is located in 2 minutes by walk from Termini station. A lot of good Italian restaurants infront of the hotel. Staff speakes English, Italian, Russian, German and so on, it was a bit supriseng. Room was wet and bad smelling. Awful shower and toilet. Breakfast too poor. Very noise street under the window and no nise isalation at all. But it cost its money. WiFi works only at reception, but is is free of charge.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I booked this hotel online through a different travel site. I just needed one room for one night. I was ending a week-long trip in Pisa, and I had booked a return flight home to the US from Rome, as it got me home sooner than if I had left from Pisa. So I found this place online. It sounded ok, and that was what it was: ok.

So after taking the train from Pisa to Rome on a Friday morning, I went to the hotel. It was very centrally located and very near to the train station. I walked there easily. The front desk staff was very, very friendly. Because I was there so early I was only able to leave my luggage while I took off to explore the city. The front desk staff was very helpful in letting me know how to get around town.

After exploring the city I came back and settled in. I had to get up by 4:00 in the morning, so I wanted to go to bed early. The room was small. Very small. It had one king bed and one twin bed that were laid perpendicular to each other. There was a small writing desk under the window that looked out over the street in front of the hotel. The street noise was rather loud. At first it sounded quaint, the clatter of silverware on dishes at the sidewalk cafe below. But that got old as I tried to get to sleep. The window surprisingly cut out all of the cacophony of the street below, but as there was no air conditioning it was almost necessary to leave the window open. I turned on the ceiling fan, but it had a constant "pop, pop, pop, pop..." sound that it made with each revolution.

The bathroom looked like something that had been added to the room after the place was built. It was raised, ostensibly to prevent water from the shower to get out. There was a bidet and a toilet, separated by the sink. Directly opposite the toilet was the tiny, tiny shower. This was nothing more than merely a very small drain pan with a shower head above it. It was so cramped in there that the shower soaked the toilet paper dispenser for the toilet. Luckily I noticed that before too much of the toilet paper was ruined. But it was such a small space. And the shower head was one of those that delivered an almost razor-sharp spray of water. Ouch.

While the bathroom was tiled, the rest of the room was a very worn indoor/outdoor carpet. No padding. I may as well have been walking on concrete. That also made for an echo in the room. Luckily there was no TV to add to the echo.

There was a complimentary breakfast, but because of my early departure I was not able to take advantage of it. And speaking of my departure... that evening I had asked the front desk if I could get a cab as early as 4:00am. She said they could arrange a transfer. From what she described it sounded like a Super Shuttle kind of transfer. I asked how much. She said 55 euros. Ouch! I asked how much a cab was, and she said about the same. I should have known that wasn't true. So I asked if this transfer would take credit cards, and she said yes. So I said fine, I'd take it.

The guy shows up on time in the morning. After we take out I double-checked and asked him if he took credit cards. He said no. Ugh. But, he explained, he could stop at a bank. Great. He hauled us around looking for an ATM at 4:00 in the morning. I thought for sure he'd take me to some dark street where his buddies were waiting to steal my money. But that went without incident. He stopped to pick up his next fare, and they were running late. He did, however, finally get on the road and drove like a demon to get us to the airport. The vehicle was a nice van. Very clean.

The surprise, however, was when we got the airport. It was not 55 euros as the hotel had told me. It was 58. Live and learn.

I can't recommend this hotel if it's for more than one night. If it's just an overnight trip, it's not bad, and it's not in a bad location. I walked to the Colosseum easily from there.

Room Tip: If you can't stand the noise and need to leave a window open, ask for a room that's not over...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PhilipNTx
North Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Proximity to the main train station (Termini) was good, which is why we selected this hotel.
The room itself? If you live in the USA, think Motel 6.
The room we stayed in was typical, outdated Europe hotel room, with small bathroom and tiny shower square (at least it did have a shower curtain).
As I mentioned, there is no A/C - thankfully, we were there at the end of September and didn't deal with a hot Summer night. We did have to have the window open, but not too much noise from outside.
Standard bread & jam continental breakfast was portioned out in little baskets - nothing impressive.
Overall, not the best, not the worst; hence, the 3 star rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewJ5267
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had booked three nights to stay here for ~40 euros a night. We checked in, climbed four flights of stairs to a small, L shaped tiny room with two single beds (which couldn't be put together because of the room size). We had paid for a double room, so we asked the manager for a different room but he was rude and said that's all they had so take it of leave it! We ended up searching Rome for another hotel and thankfully we only had to pay for the Hostelbookers deposit. I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pre-book online, book at the Hotel AFTERviewing at the room if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ellie L

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Klaipeda, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't know why this hotel has such bad reviews. Our stay was very nice. There were 3 of us staying in the room, room size was good enough, the room was nice and clean. Service was also good. the breakfast, well it was usual Italian hotel breakfast.

The location of the hotel is the best! everything you need is near by - sightseeing, shopping, train and bus stations, metro.

I would stay in this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends