“Awful - Do not Stay Here”

Hotel Antico Borgo di Trastevere
Ranked #942 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
A TripAdvisor Member
“Awful - Do not Stay Here”
Reviewed November 1, 2005

We just came back from 2 weeks in Italy and staying at this place was the only negative. It was unbelievably small - we were stuck up in an attic room that essentially only had space for the bed. We had nowhere to sit or stand and could not open our suitcases at the same time. The room would have been too small even for just one person. There was a horrible smell in the hotel from the restaurant next door and it was unbelievably noisy. Every morning at 7am, the cleaning woman pounded down the stairs (we thought to make breakfast, but no, since breakfast is served at one of their hotels blocks away). The walls were paper thin and we were also woken up by the receptionists loud talking on the first floor (despite being in the attic). We complained and got absolutely nowhere. This was the most expensive place we stayed at and by far the absolute worst. They should be ashamed for charging so much for this place (140 euros) - even at 90 euros it would be too much. Do not stay here - you will be unhappy. It was a horrible way to start and end the day everyday.

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed August 31, 2005

Before organized my trip I check your web site sometimes I'm scared about Hotels in Europe because I'm travelling alone but in this trip I found helpful staff specially the Manager Alessandro(busy man), clean rooms and I want to remark delicious breakfast, fantastic cappuccino and strong espresso. The location was perfect the Manager offer me a map and organized tour map I walked km and km all days and visit all most beautiful tourist attraction. About the property was incredible experience I never stay in Hotel which property was building 400 years ago incredible!!, we saw the underground floor was fantastic(maybe will be future room breakfast). About my room I have tv-flat plasma I think I learn little bit Italian, anyway I haven’t time to see any tv program I still too busy walking all days. The room was small I think all rooms are small well I don’t care anyway about room size. Finally my experience was excellent I'll be back soon in Rome I hope to find accommodation in this Hotel they are always fully booked.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2005

The Trastevere House is in a wonderful location. Lots of excellent restaurants nearby (we never had a disappointing meal), a real neighbourhood feel, interesting little streets to explore, and surprisingly handy for getting to all of the usual tourist sights (either walking or taking the frequent tram). Plus it's lovely to stroll along the river at sunset (and stop by the excellent geletaria on Little Trastevere Island).

But, oh yes indeed, the hotel itself leaves much to be desired. Our room was very noisy, it flooded, and the manager was never there when he was needed. The staff did their best--and the room was very clean. It's a shame since this hotel has potential. It's in a charming old building (and you have to expect that an old building will have its problems) and I really liked having breakfast in bed (I'd have liked it even better if the capuccino hadn't been lukewarm!). But instead of plasma screen TVs that show only Italian programming, the owner should invest in soundproofing between the rooms and the pizzeria next door and in windows that cut down the noise.

And, whatever you do, be sure to avoid room one!

6 Thank PercyP_g

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Reviewed August 23, 2005

There are *some* good things about what Trastavere House. The location is excellent - steps from a tram that will take you across the Tiber, and walking distance (though a good walk) to the Forum, etc. It was clean, and there was air conditioning.
However, this hotel is ridiculously priced for what it offers. We were first placed into a tiny room that was next to the front desk and had holes in the wall. We could hear every telephone call that the clerk made, and every entrance and exit of hotel guests. Moreover, the hotel is next to a very loud pizza restaurant which operates well into the night. The room where the restaurant washes its dishes abuts the hotel, and makes it impossible to sleep. The bathroom in our initial room wasn't really a bathroom. There was a shower that opened directly into the room, and in a separate part of the room there was a toilet in a closet. When we asked to change rooms, they did accomodate us the next day and switched us to a (marginally better) different room. In the second room there was an actual bathroom with a shower and toilet in the same area with a place to dry off after a shower. However, the door would not open from the inside, and I would not recommend taking a shower without someone present to let you out! Breakfast was adequate, and I personally enjoyed having it in the room. On our second day there, the bathroom flooded. We immediately let the front desk clerk know. He nodded, unfazed - this is clearly not a one-off happening. "Just keep your belongings off the floor" he advised. We were privy to the conversations of those people next door to us - in our original tiny, holed-wall room. Each day they would put a new couple in, and complaints would ensue and the people would either leave (if they were smart and could find another hotel), or be moved to another room.
Strangely, each room had a plasma flat-screen TV, but no channels in anything but Italian (not that I particularly want to watch television while in Rome, but really, why spend a ridiculous amount of money on televisions that don't show anything?). There were no telephones, which was strange.
All in all, I can't recommend the Travesty House, although I loved staying in Trastavere. They do have a sister hotel which I think is better - it is called Domus Tiberus.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2005

My girlfriend and I visited rome for 5 days and stayed at this lovely Hotel. We had a room on the first floor with the window on the alley side and we liked it a lot. I must say that the room was small but we had everything we
needed and the air-conditioning was brand new. We found the front desk very helpfull and they gave us a lot of information. The breakfast was served in the room which was okay for us but I can imagine that some people don't like that and want a breakfast room. The area is full of restaurants and bars, so in the evening you find everything nearby.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2005

We stay 3 days in Rome was funny to find staff helpfull, our first experience in Rome was excellent.
The hotel was very clean and very quiet we stay in the first floor with nice view ancient house, the owner explain about the history of trastevere special the church next to the Hotel and all most important tourist attraction. About the location was great 50 mt from the main street Trastevere crossing the Tiber Island we reach Campo de Fiori, Navona square, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum and the Colisseum and even the Vatican City is within a walking distance colosseum Vatican city all in one day. All day the staff bring excellent capuccino with deliciuos "cornetti".

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2005

Please avoid this 'hotel' at all costs.
First thing, it's very hard to find. We had large suitcases wheeling over cobblestones and it wasn't fun.
Second, the staff are extremely rude. We complained about our room being tiny. The receptionist mumbled curses at us and called her boss.
When we returned from our evening meal at 10:30 the new receptionist threatened to kick us out if we did not pay up front!
Third, the rooms have the charms of a prison cell - complete with bars on the windows. Our room was 13feet by 9 feet. we couldn't both open our suitcases at the same time. Also, the noise levels will drive you mad. A couple catching a 5AM flight woke us up leaving and a scooter going by at any time will wake you.
Lastly, to top it off they don't have a breakfast room. You are forced to eat your breakfast in your room on a trolly which seems very unhygenic to me.
For €140 a night they should be ashamed. I don't know how this place got into lonely planet.

Stayed April 2005