Hotel Antico Borgo di Trastevere
$321
$303
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We arrived at the Hotel Antico Borgo di Trastevere after having made our booking weeks in advance via booking.com only to be told that the room was unavailable due to a 'problem with the room.'
We were then told there was another hotel around the corner we could stay at at for the same price and was promptly shown to the next hotel a few minutes away. The second hotel was not nearly as nice as the one we'd originally booked and promptly told the manager/owner that we were not happy and would not be staying there. In turn he let out a couple of expletives and told us we would be charged anyway. (We've yet to discover if he has.)
I find this behavior completely unacceptable and unprofessional and would warn anyone contemplating this hotel to think again - or at least have a back up option.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thai_Rain
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I was thrilled to find this hotel online as it was exactly where I wanted to stay (Trastevere) and for the right price, and looked 'rustic'.... it definitely ticked all the boxes. The first night we had room 3 which was quite tiny (as I had read it would be) but had no windows (other than a tiny one high up like a basement vent) but we were so tired we just went to bed. Breakfast of your choice (continental) is brought to your room so you really feel pampered in that department.

The desk staff were super friendly and gladly gave us a different room upstairs for our next 2 nights. We had room 7 which had a gorgeous little view and was slightly more spacious. The beds are quite hard at this hotel but if you are worn out from sightseeing like we were, it wasn't much of a problem. We didnt need air con or heat as the weather was perfect. Shutters on window let us sleep in a nice dark room in the morning. Very quiet at night so you do get some peace...

The bathrooms are quite tiny (a late addition to this several hundred year old building) but everything was so clean and spotless it didnt really matter. They also use these strange 'towels' which were more like bed sheets.

But, the location truly does make up for all the little problems, as next to the hotel is one of the best restaurants we enjoyed, Trattoria Ponentina! I wanted to drink and dine there all day!

I may stay at this hotel again, what really was a problem was the noise - around 6-7am the staff start bustling around and one staff member would repeatedly WHISTLE loudly while working/cleaning, and as they prepared the continental breakfast trays, we heard alot of dishes banging and clattering loudly.... the walls are paper thin and we could hear the lady next door snoring all night and her hacking cough - yet WE got a complaint for having our tv on quietly at 9pm! So that really put us off, and we desperately needed sleep each morning! But if you are an early riser, this won't be a problem for you!

But once again this hotel is excellent overall as you can't have a better location - we looked for other hotels but this one is truly in a great spot, and we also heard it is the former house of singer Lucia Dalla, for those interested in this musician. It is also near Viale Trastevere so super easy for tram and buses into central Rome. Be sure to visit the nice man, Claudio, at Bar Piccolo on the Viale, he has a red nose like WC Fields and we had so much fun hanging out with him one evening!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a hotel on the first floor with windows overlooking the little piazza - so cute. But ground floor has one good room with large window. Ask to see room first if you are unsure. They are small but all you need.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helenga666
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This hotel is in a great location but I wouldn't call the single room value for money. There was no window and the air conditioning played up each night to the point of shuddering and clanging at which point I would turn it off and then it would continue to drip water which would splash on my face. I did report this to reception who did not seem too bothered and nothing was done about it. The room was tiny and the bathroom - what can I say. I don't consider myself tall (5' 6") but my knees were touching the wall in front of me when sat on the toilet. You also had to squeeze past the toilet to access the shower. Breakfast was delivered to the room but there was nowhere to eat it apart from sitting the tray on the bed.
All in all the accommodation was disappointing to an otherwise amazing city to visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Karin B
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Quite a nice, charming place. Excellent locations and easy on the eye. Downsides were large air-con in the room, loud and not very effective. Book breakfast the night before, and it is bought to your room in the morning. Would I go back? Maybe, but not in the middle of summer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2010

My original plans to stay at a "B&B" in Trastevere fell through and I was left walking around with my backpack looking for alternative accommodations. For some reason availability was low and after a few hours of looking for a place, I settled for Hotel Borgo Antico. What a nightmare!

First, the room was dark and musty. There was a window but very little light passed through. The phone in my room didn't work. I spoke with the person at the reception every day to let them know that the phone wasn't working and nothing was done about it. They provide breakfast in your room. There is a paper at the front desk in the afternoon/evening so you can write down breakfast preferences. If you don't indicate or call them ahead of time, they give you a hard time about it. The last morning of my stay as I broke off a piece of my bread, an army of ants crawled all over my breakfast tray. When I returned the tray, they promised to give me another breakfast. After waiting 30 minutes, I had lost my appetite and told that I no longer wanted the breakfast. In the 3 nights that I spent there, I didn't not have one peaceful night of sleep. Between the noise of the pipes, toilet flushing and loud neighbors, I was up everyday at 4am. I mentioned this to the person at the reception and he was somewhat helpful. They had wifi but it was intermittent.

I would never stay and this place ever again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo