“Off the beaten path”
Review of Hotel Fenix

Hotel Fenix
Ranked #413 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Friendly spacious and relaxing. Generous breakfast. Excellent value if a little far from the sights. Plan on doing some walking but there are some good restaurants which may be a little hard to find. Did not eat at the in house one but it looked good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PeripateticTucson

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotel is a bus ride away from all major sites. I was there is mid-June and it had an amazing garden to sit and relax. The biggest bonus for me was that I could be in the city centre in 10 minutes but had the feeling that I was in a beautiful, peaceful hideaway away from the noise and buildings. The rooms are large and very clean and staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was also exceptional with a nice variet of organic options. As I was there for business, I had two dinners in the hotel's restaurant. The food, while not exceptional by Italian standards, was very good for a hotel.

Whenever I go to Rome for business or pleasure I will surely return to the Fenix.

Room Tip: Ideal to book a room facing the garden. Also, purchase a bus pass to avoid worrying about buying ti...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Maggie L
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Fenix for six days. we booked 2 rooms for our family of five - 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Very friendly staff at main desk and through out the hotel. Our room was cleaned every day - good sized rooms - we had the larger suites with one single bed and a good kingsize bed in separate room in each suite - fresh towels and bedding every day. The only down side was the rooms had old wooden wardrobes - I'm not a fan of these so that is my gripe. We stayed in the block of rooms nearest to the main road so you could hear the traffic but after a day you got used to it - the A/C hum covered the noise most of the time. There are lovely places to eat nearby and an excellent gelato shop within walking distance. The breakfast buffet was good - the toaster was not working properly the first day - it was not toasting but the staff made sure every one got toast by using another toaster in the main kitchen and the next day there was another toaster to use. The breakfast is served outside in the lovely garden area. The hotel restaurant was not open due to the August Holidays- we were looking forward to using the Nini restaurant but will know for next time we visit . We bought bus tickets every morning from the reception - The bus stop was just around the corner on Via Nometana.

Room Tip: save money and take the bus - we only used taxi for airport transfer.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank calmk
Reviewed July 26, 2012

That's the Fenix Hotel ...
We enjoyed a weeks holiday here ..
The Hotel may be located out of town but public transport could not be any easier ..purchase a multiuse public transport ticket from reception ..Bus stop across street ..
Good size and clean rooms ..
we booked bed & breakfast and were well fed ..we even had an evening meal ..in the hotel ..
also..a nice touch was afternoon coffee in the garden .
oh must not forget the free WIFI ..as we only speak English we had limited contact with staff but always found them helpful and pleasant .....

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bhgoodwin
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel itself is very clean and the room (standard double room) was a relatively good size. The breakfast, too, was quite yummy. The location is not exactly central, but the city is more or less accessible by metro, bus, or taxi. However, the service is far from professional. You are rarely greeted, and when you ask for information they usually do not know and cannot help unless they can look it up quickly. The last night of my stay I had gotten back late and wanted room service, as it was advertised to be available 24 hours a day. Upon calling I "you want room service now?? It's 4 AM". He was very reluctant and the tone in his voice conveyed this. Extremely unprofessional if you ask me. If you advertise it as 24 hours, do not be surprised if a guest will make use of this service. It is very pretentiously professional. I have to say I was disappointed, as I relied on TripAdvisor and it had gotten good reviews.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Describe the service you experienced.
Tell us how you liked the room.
Talk about the location & amenities.
Say what you liked best & least.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I originally assumed that this hotel was part of the Fenix Hotel chain (based, I believe, in Portugal). It is not. This hotel has some charm, but needs to be updated. There are good points and not-so-good points.

On the minus side, the clerk who greeted us upon our arrival was not friendly. He did not welcome us, verify the length of our stay, or anything. He just took our passports and then gave us a room key. When I asked whether he intended to keep the passports, he said he'd give them back to us later (which he did when we went out). I had to ask for the code to the wifi. This man (perhaps in his late 50s) was there most of the time we were there. He wasn't exactly unfriendly, but he wasn't friendly either.

Also on the minus side, the room -- particularly the bathroom -- was very small. I did not expect it to be large, but it was smaller than I imagined. The furniture was old, and kind of charming in its way. But they didn't do anything to spruce the decor up and provide a modern touch. A little TLC could have made the room very cute. The beds were not the most comfortable -- two twin beds pushed together (which seems to be the norm in Europe when you think you are getting a queen bed).

Finally, the air conditioning was not great. We visited Rome during a very hot week and, while the A/C blew coolish air it was never really cold. And there was no way to make it cooler. Opening the window at night was not an option because it was humid and, in any event, the street noise would have been too much.

On the plus side, the breakfast (included) was excellent. A great variety -- scrambled eggs, croissants, cereals, fruits. Any kind of coffee you could want. And the staff working at the breakfast appeared to be really on the ball.

Also on the plus side was the wifi. Someone else on TripAdvisor commented that it was very slow. I didn't find it slow at all. Maybe it was my room location, but the wifi was pretty good. It wasn't as fast as my wifi at home but it was much better than I've experienced in other hotels.

Finally, the location -- though a tad more residential than I would have preferred -- was pretty good. The Metro was a 15 minute walk away and all sorts of buses passed by on the street in front of the hotel. Once you figured out the buses, they were very easy. And, as far as I could tell, nobody ever verified if you paid for the bus. You were on the honor system and, while the tourists dutifully swiped their cards, I did not see a single Roman doing so.

All and all it was a mixed experience. It was a good price for Rome -- where the hotels are crazy expensive. And I liked the free breakfast and Internet. I wish the hotel had a friendly person working the front desk though because that set a bad tone for the visit. (There was a very friendly woman who was there from time to time but she did not seem to be the primary desk clerk. Mr. Grumpy seemed to be the top guy.) If the Hotel Fenix would fix the A/C, send the desk clerk to charm school and give the room decorations a little modern touch it would be a very fine place to stay for the tourist who is on a budget. Right now it's just average.

Room Tip: The side of the hotel away from the main road is probably quieter. Our room wasn't loud with the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple