“First trip to Rome”

Ranked #897 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“First trip to Rome”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Finally got to visit Rome for long weekend, saw some truely unbelievable sights. Stayed at Cristina Hotel which was considering the price for 3 adults surprisingly very good. service was spot on with breakfast being delivered to the room every morning and at a time requested. Staff where also very good, nothing was too much trouble. Would definately stay here again.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Melbourne
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We were initially booked into the Cristina Residence but due to a double booking, we were kindly relocated by Carlo (very nice man and extremely helpful) to the Cristina hotel. The room is quite small, kitch but adequate and comfortable. The airconditioning was very noisy and ineffective for such a small room. The internet is just outside the rooms in a very hot part of the hotel. The rude arrogant man at reception refused when asked several times to put the split system air conditioner on. He excelled at rudeness and being uncooperative. We were glad to leave this hotel, however we have to say that Cristina was very helpful and nice when we first checked in. The breakfast consisted of nice coffee but sweet biscuits, biscotti and cake. Not very appetising. We think you could do better with your choice of hotels as there are so many in this area as it is very close to Termini Station (the main local and international train station). The lift to the 3rd floor is a scary old fashioned phone booth like lift that does not always work.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hizakite

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed April 4, 2006

The hotel is clean but Termini is not a very good place to stay at. Termini is itself a dirty place. However, the hotel is very close to a Metro station (C. Pretorio).

I had a bad experience on the night of 27th March. We came to the hotel at 6pm after a long day of walking. We wanted to take a short rest at the hotel for an hour and then go back to the city center to meet with our friend for dinner. I looked for the guy at the reception but there was noone there to call a taxi for us. Then I found the telephone number of the taxi company from the internet and using the phone at the reception I called them. But they couldn't speak English so I couldn't call the taxi. Then after 15 minutes, The receptionist came and I told him that I tried to call the taxi company but they couldn't understand me. The receptionist told me "No use phone!". I think he wanted to say that the customers are not allowed to use the phone. I said "OK but you were not at the reception and I wanted to call the taxi" Then suddenly he got mad! He showed me the phone in crazy manners that I made a phone call and he started to shout "No taxi! Go to Termini and find a taxi there!" I said "I can pay for the telephone." But he was so mad at me that I used the phone when he was
not there, I just ignored me and didn't call a taxi for me. Then I went down to the street in front of the hotel and tried to catch a taxi. I spent 30 minutes in front of the hotel until I found a taxi.

It was a very rude behaviour of this strange guy at the reception that he did not call us a taxi, although he should be knowing that my wife is pregnant.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank aberna
San Francisco
Reviewed March 4, 2006

The hotel is located in a questionable area of Rome. It's about a 10 minute walk from the train station but close to a Metro stop. We couldn't figure out what floor the "hotel" was on, since it seemed like the building was an apartment building. It was dark and creepy inside and eerily reminiscent of the Bates Motel. We figured out we had to ascend to the 3rd floor and took a rickety elevator about the size of a phone booth upstairs.

We found none other than Norman Bates himself behind the front desk. He wasn't exacty welcoming. The door was open, and I'm sure he heard us downstairs trying to figure out where to go, but didn't say a word. He took us to our room, which was a nice surprise. We had a three people and they put us in their quad. The single bed had a huge depression and was extremely uncomfortable to sleep on. The hairdryer was broken, but they replaced it the next day with one whose plug didn't fit the socket. But breakfast was prompt the next day, with cappucino, fresh orange juice, and packaged croissants.

The shower head isn't suspended from the wall, so you have to hold the nozzle to bathe yourself.

Another bad thing was the low-flush toilet. It takes forever for it to flush again and there's a dirty, --flecked toilet brush nearby with which you can use to clean your skid marks.

Interesting find: There are framed pictures, pieces of nonconforming wallpaper, and a calendar stuck to random places on the walls. A little investigative work discovered that they conceal tears and holes in the wallpaper.

Note: Norman Bates removes the laptop to which you get internet access at 10pm at night, and doesn't put it back until about 9am the next morning. So you can check your email early or late at night.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank poopie22
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2005

The rooms were not clean and the service could not speak English. The sheets were not changed before our arrival. There were cocroaches running around in the room.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chester
Reviewed April 7, 2005

Stayed here during one of the busiest times Rome has seen (the week of the Pope's funeral) and was thoroughly pleased with the location, cleanliness and polite service. Only a 5 minute walk down a straight road to the Termini station where you'll find buses, tour buses and on-foot access to the city's greatest tourist spots. The rooms are decorated in a tasteful and traditional style and we found the beds and bathroom spotless. The coffee with fresh cream and croissants served at your time of choice between 8 and 9 am are most welcome. The free internet access and 24 hour access by personal key is great. Would recommend this place to anyone who hasn't got the budget or need for a lavish suite on their trip.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank Emskifletcher
Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 10, 2004

we stayed in the Cristina in June 2003, I loved the room. I did not find it too far- it was actually really handy for us- we came in and out by train and the station is 10 mins away, it is difficult to find though. The location is good as it is quiet and away from soem of the hassles you can get in the more touristy areas.
Our room looked out over the courtyard and was really pretty- had the cool ceiling and a compact, but clean bathroom. The aircon was not very good- and it was very warm in the night. Free internet accessin the lobby area and the coolest elevator in the building.
It is clean, safe and an excellent bargain for the location in central Rome-but don't expect the hilton.

I loved the Breakfast- you give a nod to the guy on reception and 10 mins later he brings you cappucinno and a croissant to your room- room service for free!!!!

1 Thank munkispank