“Friendly, spotless & convenient”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taormina Hotel

Taormina Hotel
Ranked #400 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
North East England
“Friendly, spotless & convenient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was a bit put off by reading the area reviews, but actually I have been to far worse areas so don't let the comments bother you. There were some homeless people in the area, but they were no bother and are to be pitied rather than feared.
We arrived on 2nd August in 40 degree heat. The entrance is a little unusual, in that it contains nothing but a sofa & stairs, but the friendly reception desk is on the first floor. Our room was at the back on the 3rd floor (no lift in this part of the building) and was large, comfortable, cool, very quiet & had a huge bathroom.
The shower was very large, but the water temperature made it unusable for me - either burn your skin off hot or arctic cold.
The beds were very comfortable & there was plenty of space for clothes.
Not many English speaking channels on TV but who comes to Rome to watch TV?
Breakfast is exactly as stated - continental breakfast. I know this has been an issue for some, but continental breakfast IS rolls, and the small ones are really soft - not hard at all as some have found. Lots of jams, spreads etc to go on them, though I do agree with the comments on the drinks from the machines. Not great, but there's a supermarket to the right of the hotel where you can always buy some juice.
No restaurant, but go left out of the hotel & there's a great little piazza with restaurants along the side streets - I recommend the opposite side of the piazza for this, but be warned - food is VERY expensive.
Staff all very friendly & helpful, with a good knowledge of English.
In all, considering this is a 2 star hotel, I would say it provided excellent service & value for money.
Rome top tips:
1.Don't queue at the Colosseum (which is disappointing inside anyway tbh). Go to the Forum next door and get a multi ticket there to bypass the queues (don't forget your EU passport though which makes it cheaper).
2. If you see and Ecotaxi (bike drawn carriage) take on round the city. It's expensive but very much worth it, as the guides are fabulous and cit through traffic and pedestrians with ease to great spots where you get lots of information you would not have known otherwise.
3. Everyone will tell you Rome is expensive. It's not. It's extortionate. Take more money than you think you will need.

Room Tip: Go for the ones at the back if you like it quiet. Front rooms open out onto the busy main street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BKS1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

As many have said, the location isn't the best. It's in the Chinatown of Rome with a 15 minute walk to the Colosseum. But my partner and I didn't mind as it was a nice easy walk.
When approaching the hotel you see a large sign above the hotel door, which doesn't look the best but sure helps!
We checked in with reception and he gave us directions to our room, which he said was a 'nice' one. After wandering around for a few minutes like lost sheep, one of the cleaners told us we had a wrong building, which instantly worried me, but the hotel was quite large and we had just been climbing the wrong staircase. After returning to the reception level it was just two flights of stairs to our room.
The room was a good size. It had a small rather old scary balcony overlooking..the back of other buildings, but the thought was there. A decent sized shower room, large wardrobe, a slightly hard, but large bed, and a small TV which sadly was only in Italian (I know people say you don't go on holiday to watch TV, however after a long hot day of sightseeing, when you return to your hotel it's nice to be able to put your feet up and watch some English tele.)
We only found out by reading the notice board in reception that you have to pay 5euros per day for the air con in the room to work. We didn't bother with this charge and just kept the balcony doors open which worked fine for us.

Positives of the hotel: Easy to find, modern, quiet at night, friendly, good size, beautifully clean, close to metro station if needed, nice sunny courtyard, free wifi in the lobby with free use of a computer for upto 15 mintues. A few doors down from the best Gelato parlour ever. On the same street as a useful little supermarket and a Chinese supermarket with very cheap bottled beers and pop!

Negatives of the hotel: Lack of breakfast choice but was good enough for us. No lift in our part of the hotel so we're glad we were only on the second floor. If you are in the hotel during the day it's opposite a school so you hear young Chinese children playing or singing which to me
was actually quite adorable! For some, the walk to the main sights may be too much. Location may be a little daunting if you are with young kids etc. Not many restaurants in the immediate area, just a few pizza/kebab shops. Having to pay for aircon was a little cheeky, we would rather have paid alittle more for the room when first booking it to avoid spending more
whilst on holiday.
Overall we didn't pay too much for our room and after searching the internet this was the best hotel that came up within our budget. I really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: I actually emailed the hotel a few weeks before visiting saying we were looking forward to staying w...
2 Thank WheresNextT
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed there in July and the hotel, to be honest, was a bit disappointing. I thought it to be better to list all pros and cons, as there are quite a few.

PROS
- Location: it is only 5 minutes away (by foot) from the Vittorio Emanuele Metro station and a good 15 minutes away from Termini Railway Station
- Extremely big room: our looked like a whole apartment on one floor and the bathroom was impressive too
- Price: we ended up spending less than thought, at approximately €160 for two nights

CONS
- Breakfast: awful, dire to say the least. I know this is a two star hotel, but their breakfast consists of coffee and juice machines (terrible quality), croissants (individually packaged, with a consequent waste of plastic if you ask me) and a very small assortment of jams and honey. No cheeses, no hams, no cakes or anything else.
- Noise: our room was facing the main road which leads to Piazza Vittorio Emanuele and I could not sleep without ear plugs, which was a bit of a nuisance.
- Rooms: our room was not located inside the main building where the reception is, but rather in a separate building with 24h CCTV coverage and a lift which looked like it was about to fall apart. A bit weird, if not extremely impractical - especially when carrying a 15-odd kg suitcase.
- Neighbourhood: definitely not the best one in town, I would not feel safe walking around at a late time.

Overall mixed experience, I don't think I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the main road as it tends to get really noisy
2 Thank Andrea A
Hobart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here in late June for 5 nights....and based on some reviews were unsure of what we would find.
We were pleasently surprised, our room was very large, spacious and new. Bathroom was also large. Our shower was only hand held, which was new and different, but fine! We made sure we had a room facing the inside couryard as the main st is very busy and quite noisy. We knew that if we wanted Air Con we would have to pay extra...it was stated very clearly, but we found that we didn't need it, the nice Rome breeze through the windows kept us comfortable!

Free wi-fi in the reception area, and if you don't have a device, a computer to use for free access.

The location near the train station was perfect, also close to the metro station which we used a lot!
The Gelato place two doors up was amazing! Thanks for the tip!

We found the reception staff very helpful and informative! The breakfast was very simple, but we love bread and cheese, so even with four mornings of it, it was ok:)

Considering what we paid to stay here we were VERY happy with our experience! A nice flat 30 minute walk to the Trevi Fountain or Colosseum, and the convenience of being close to the main train station and metro! We would stay again!

Thanks:)

Room Tip: Avoid a room that's on the main road, we stayed on floor two which was completely new!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Collette B
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

It is two stars and you can tell it. For the price it is OK. Although it has an old-feeling, the room and bathroom were clean. No AC. The fan on the ceiling did not work. Street noise can be a problem if you need to sleep with the window open. Breakfast consists of bread, croissants, jams, and a juice and coffee machine. Close to Termini station and San Lorenzo. Coliseum is within 20 minutes walking. You will need public transportation to get to Vatican city, Piazza Navona, Panteon or Trastevere. Great if you just need a place to sleep (except the noise and summer heat) and will spend the whole day in the city.

Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Visited Rome (2nd time) in March, 2012. I was a little leery about staying at a 2-star hotel, but this hotel was nicer than many 3-star hotels! Upon arrival, I was shoved into the "single traveler's room." Or as I call it, The Closet. I asked to be moved, and they kindly accommodated me. The new room was wonderful! No matter who was working the front desk, they were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The location is not in the best neighborhood, but it is a quick and easy walk to the train station. Everything about this hotel was pleasant; the only thing that could have been improved upon was the breakfast. There was the "coffee machine" that all the European hotels are using now - quick and easy for tourists. However, the coffee was of low quality and for me just plain undrinkable. The food wasn't good either, hard rolls and "pastries" in plastic wrap. I do understand that this was not in the 3-star category, so perhaps that was all one could expect. Other than that, this hotel was a surprising little jewel, impeccably clean, well-located and with a great staff!

Room Tip: There are actually two "parts" to the hotel. One you have to go next door through a huge...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Maribeth J
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

By the other reviewers comments of this hotel it seemed like a no brainer. Once we got off the train and started walking in the direction of the hotel I was hoping our hotel was out of the neighborhood we were in. Well to my dismay it was not, it was in what seemed to be chinatown in Rome. All the signs were not even in Italian. I was expecting a sweet Italian hotel in an Italian city, I was disappointed in the location for sure. However, if it were not for the location this hotel would have gotten a super good review. The staff were super nice and helpful! The hotel itself was very clean and our room was very spacious. The bathroom was nice expect the water in the shower would go from extreme hot to extreme cold and back and forth so showering took a little time and was not super relaxing. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets and pillows. The wifi was free however we had to go to the lobby area to get a good signal, perhaps this is how it is supposed to be? The hotel sells train tickets so that was nice because the machines in the closest train station didn't take large bills so searching for smaller Euro amounts got to be a pain. So I guess my review of this hotel is kind of mixed and I really didn't want it to be, I wanted to say I loved it but honestly the location just killed it for me. If location doesn't bother you and you want a nice, affordable hotel then this is your place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple