“Nice Room, Air conditioning”
Review of Villa Morgagni

and 1 more site!
Villa Morgagni
Ranked #370 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here during a recent trip (Oct '13) in Italy. We were here for 3 nights. It was unseasonably hot in Rome this Fall and we were very thankful that the AC was still on. Apparently it is an Italian law that AC is unavailable in May or October so this was a real treat considering Rome was 80+ F that week.
The room was pretty decent. Decor was nice, bed comfortable, room cold. There was a flat-screen TV and safe in room. The hotel was very quiet, which we appreciated. The bathroom could have been a little better, especially the shower.
The hot breakfast in the morning on the rooftop terrace was good. Eggs, bacon, yogurt, cereal, pastries, coffee, juices, overall very good.
The location was great in our opinion. It was a 2-minute walk to the metro and in a business district. The area dies down after 8pm so do not expect to be able to do much around there at night. There is a grocery store and pharmacy across the street where you can get cheap water, soda, and snacks. The location is not ideal if you want to be in the center of Rome, but we preferred to be in a quieter area ourselves.
The only issue we had was with an unhelpful member of the staff. The blonde girl who works the evening desk was the only person who was unhelpful. There was a national transportation strike the day we were scheduled to leave. We had never experienced this and just wanted some extra info about strikes in Italy and how to get to our next destination, Siena. She was not helpful at all and said that helping us in this capacity was not her job. She wouldn't even show me how to use the phone in our room (you had to dial 0 first). Like I said, she was unhelpful and in my opinion made the last night of our trip more stressful than it should have been. In the end the strike did not affect our travels, but it would have been nice if she could have told us that Italians do not take strikes all that seriously and that it would all probably be OK. The front-desk worker in the morning gave us good advice thankfully, but that didnt help us sleep any better the night before.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Villa Morgagni

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Be careful of this hotel, front desk people are not honest - don't tell you there is a "leaving" tax for the room, and in general are not caring or straightforward. The property itself is nice, but read other recent reviews and you will see the same experience. Not a nice way to end your stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank James G
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here in October 2013 and it was booked as part of a European vacation package (selected by us).

The hotel itself is nice. Seems like it was probably renovated in the last 10 or so years. The room was clean but had maintenance issues. The door lock was very difficult to opperate, sometimes having us standing outside our room trying to get the electronic lock to unlatch for several minutes. The shower was very leaky, letting water leak out all over the bathroom floor and into the room. The room was very small, but I assume we got the a smaller room due to our package booking (just how it is goes when you book a package i guess). The elevator didn't go up from our floor, so we either had to go downstairs to the lobby, or ride the elevator down first to then go up. Breakfast was on the 4th floor.

The location is far away from all the tourist locations, however, it is very close to the Policlinco metro station (less than a five minute walk) which is on Rome's B (blue) line. We didn't see many tourists here. It seemed like more of a commercial district with more business travelers. The transfer to the A line (pink) at the Termini station is only two stops away and that will get you to whatever sightseeing you want to do. We were able to learn the metro system very fast and it was much easier than the Metro in Paris.

Now the not so good..

We found the staff to be fairly unpleasant and unhelpful. We had stayed in Paris and Florence previous to this stop and the people at the hotels were so nice. Almost freakishly nice. They went out of their way to make us feel at home and were extremely helpful. The staff here was very brief with us and just not very welcoming. They don't acknowledge you when you come and go (you have to walk right past the desk to leave). We are in our early 30s and don't need a red carpet or to be pampered, but this overall unpleasant tone was noticed by us right away.

Their WiFi system, which, for many travelers is very important, was the worst I've used. First of all, it's not free. It either costs 10 euro for 24 hours or 1 euro per hour. I overheard the desk person tell another guests that if you book directly with the hotel you can get 24 hours free. We didn't do this so we had to pay. Ok fine, I'll pay for internet. 10 euro didn't seem so bad for 24 hours. The problem was I paid for it, and it wouldn't work in the room. It accepted our activation code but the range was so poor that it was unusable. It did work better in the lobby, but I didn't realize that until after the 24 hour period had passed. When I casually brought it up later, the desk person didn't have any comment about it or offer to comp an hour or two to make up for it. She just said "I don't know". I let it go.

The most irritating problem came from us arranging to use their airport transport service. It seems like they go to a 3rd party car service. It was 30 euros per person and they said cash or credit card was fine, but that the credit card option would have an additional fee. (one person said 5 euros, another one said 10 euros). Fine. When it was time to leave the driver was on time (early actually) and helped us with our bags. It was a little crazy because one we were on our way and on the freeway, i kid you not, the guy was driving at least 115 mph. I am not exaggerating here. I've never driven that fast in a car. It was a little nerve racking. Anyhow, we got there just fine. When it went to pay him, I pulled out a credit card and he wouldn't accept it. I told him the hotel said this was a valid option and he said they never take credit cards. The driver was irritated and very impatient so I told him to wait at the curb while I went to go find cash in an airport I've never been to. Since he was parked at a drop off point, I went to the first place i could find, which was a cash exchange, to get some more euros, which i didn't plan on doing. I got the guy paid and we were ok after that. I was rather pissed that this "miscommunication" about how to pay happened. I figure either the hotel is severely misinformed about the payment options the company accepts OR the driver was being difficult. Based on our experience, I'm leaning toward the first.

All in all, we woulnd't stay here again.

Oh - and watch out for the mysterious gray-colored scrambled eggs!

Room Tip: No free wifi. Paid wifi only works in lobby. Unhelfpul and somewhat unpleasant staff.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kslaggs
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights while on our honeymoon. Purchased Metro tickets at the Train station and the hotel was easy to find, just a 5 minute walk from Policlinico Metro station. We saw 2 bars nearby which both sold pizza, cake, icecream and alcohol plus a supermarket situated between the hotel and the Metro, which stayed open until 8pm. We stayed in room 304, on the 3rd floor and accessed by stairs or lift. The room was a good size, nicely decorated, with an ensuite bathroom with shower attachment. Free safe in the room. Breakfast was excellent, mainly continental but also had hot bacon and scrambled eggs. The Breakfast room was situated on the roof (4th floor) and was excellent, as were the staff there. We had to pay for the City Tax, in cash on checking out. On arrival, we asked about the Spa but didn;t use it, after being told that it would cost us 15 euros each for an hour.
On the downside, we paid for the room via an independant agency and therefore were told on arrival that we did not qualify for free wi-fi and had to pay for it at a cost of 1 euro for an hour each day or 10 euros for 24 hours. The bed was very hard and not particularly comfortable. The helpfulness of reception staff varied depending on the time of day and staff on duty.
Overall, a very nice hotel, good value if you can get it at a discounted rate and we would recommend to others with the above reservations.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have just come back from Rome and after a thorough research of lodging I decided to go to Villa Morgagni. The location is quite convenient, approx 150 m to Policlinico metro station so you can go around Rome without any problem. We stayed in room 401, which has a huge terrace, so you can enjoy nice views!!!. The breakfast is ok and is served in the room next door but we didn't hear any noise at all. To sum up: Good balance of price and location

1  Thank Rafa M
Reviewed September 24, 2013

again, as many reviews i wrote, i think that you need to think about how much you paid, when you are judging something. The place is nice, good location, good staff, beautiful terrace for the breakfast...but would need some improvements, not much, but some. Let me point out a few. The single rooms and the few doubles i saw (on the 2nd floor) while they were being cleaned are far too small. I dont mind as typically I am in the room just to sleep or rest but some more space wouldnt be bad. Also, breafkast location is amazing but overall food is just average (but staff is very friendly). Ideally, also, some renovation would be needed, especially for the corridors or some common areas, while i have to say that my room (with parquet) and the bathroom were okay. As said, though, i have to consider that i paid around 80 euros a day for my room, including breakfast, and i am not sure i could have found a similar place in rome at the same price (the building was the residence of Gramsci and certainly has a great visual impact, at least it had such on me). Overall, at such a price, I would come here again. But do not expect the same quality as a typical four-star hotel, although it is not crap at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

we stayed in Villa Morgagni Hotel in Rome for a week and we found it excellent. We had a cooked breakfast every morning, the quality of which varied, but generally was very good.
The staff were excellent and always had a smile. Their information about Rome and travel about Rome was very reliable.
All in all a very good experience.